ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

16 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

...and @XPerceniol! Everything alright? Did you get it working?

Cheers, AstroSkipper kaffeepc.gif

Hi Guys..

Had to do some soul searching after giving this more thought, and while I'm honored to be nominates to be on the team for this impressive project; sadly, I've decided to step from the project (sometimes better to stay out of the way of progress rather than hinder) and be glad and excited for everyone involved. Unfortunately, after trying to update and seek out what I would need to do to get this Dell Optiplex 745 and My Ancient Dimension 3000 up to speed, I realized that I'd be better to keep things the way they are, much like myself, just barely breathing and allow them to huff and puff. Luckily, nothing has blown up, but I have protective goggles and armor for when that does occur to not hurt by the shrapnel :cool:

Again, I'm stoked at the excitement and your vision @AstroSkipper, and that you would even consider someone such as myself to even attempt to pretend I know what I'm doing - Some (most) days, I'm one bolt short (more than one) to be a nutcase. I'd like to say I'm the brains (so not) not even the brawn, but I'll gladly accept badge of "Beauty". To tell you the truth, I usually crack my mirrors and that was 6 years ago, so 1 more year of bad luck ... Lol :)

Seriously, I learn something every day and this was no exception, and honestly, I'm happy that my computers are even still winding up like my false teeth. 

Ok ... Enough off topic ... and

Love you guys,

Sending well wishes going forward and don't mistake this as me giving up or getting discouraged. 

Sincerely Yours,

~Mister Blofish

No reply needed.

Edited by XPerceniol

And one general aspect referring to my package. It is branded by me with the name ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu. The idea was to control the proxy and additional features via this menu, i.e., minimizing and restoring of ProxHTTPSProxy's status window, too. That was the actual idea! :yes: And frankly, I do so!

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

> Try to install the program package by using different paths!

It works great! I tried at least 2 paths, 1 on the desktop, and 1 on a folder on C: drive called "Prox HTTPS", and both worked great!

> Check if my configuration utility "Configure PopMenu" does its job properly in your system!

Yes, it did it's job properly!

> Read the documentation and check if it is complete and understandable!

Yes, probably!

> Try out all provided features!

They all work properly and as expected!

> After applying my configuration program, perform a restart and check if the programs Min2Tray and PopMenu were started automatically!

Yes, they were! I also performed a logoff, and they started automatically there too!

> Check if the proxy settings are activated after executing the file "StartProxy.exe", and deactivated after closing the proxy in different ways!

Yes, they are!

> Call up different websites and also TLS testing websites while using the proxy!

They work great, and TLS testing websites display results properly! :)

34 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

It works great! I tried at least 2 paths, 1 on the desktop, and 1 on a folder on C: drive called "Prox HTTPS", and both worked great!

> Check if my configuration utility "Configure PopMenu" does its job properly in your system!

Yes, probably!

> After applying my configuration program, perform a restart and check if the programs Min2Tray and PopMenu were started automatically!

Yes, they were! I also performed a logoff, and they started automatically there too!

> Check if the proxy settings are activated after executing the file "StartProxy.exe", and deactivated after closing the proxy in different ways!

Yes, they are!

> Call up different websites and also TLS testing websites while using the proxy!

Dear @mina7601! Thanks for your detailed report! That's what I need. A second confirmation that my package is working as expected. Very good! ssupercool2.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper ende.gif

6 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Had to do some soul searching after giving this more thought, and while I'm honored to be nominates to be on the team for this impressive project; sadly, I've decided to step from the project

What "flavor" of XP are you running, I wonder if that's the cause of your issue?

VANILLA XP SP2 x86?
VANILLA XP SP3 x86?
VANILLA XP SP2 x86 plus all hotfixes prior to SP3?
VANILLA XP SP3 x86 plus all hotfixes prior to POSReady?
VANILLA XP SP3 x86 plus all hotfixes prior to POSReady plus POSReady?

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

What "flavor" of XP are you running, I wonder if that's the cause of your issue?

VANILLA XP SP2 x86?
VANILLA XP SP3 x86?
VANILLA XP SP2 x86 plus all hotfixes prior to SP3?
VANILLA XP SP3 x86 plus all hotfixes prior to POSReady?
VANILLA XP SP3 x86 plus all hotfixes prior to POSReady plus POSReady?

@XPerceniol I would be interested in that, too! Your issues were very strange as far as I could see. :dubbio: :)

11 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:
11 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks, a great pleasure to be able to help.

One thing still puzzling me.
As an experiment, I have tried setting things up as I had before, using TrayIt!
All still works fine, but why exactly does ProxHTTPSProxy.exe now have to have a delayed start?

I put it in the 'run' key in my registry, but it doesn't run.
It only runs if I delay it.
Is this because PopMenu is preventing it from running somehow until PopMenu is complexly loaded?
:dubbio:

Expand  

I observed the same behaviour. If it is loaded too early, it can't find its working directory. Maybe, I can fix that but presumably, not before the next release. I have to find the cause. But there are other programs in Windows which behave in a similar way. They need some modules or environment conditions not existing in a early phase of Windows startup.

@Dave-H When I created the starter program StartProxy.exe, I tried many code variations to get it working, especially due to Microsoft's buggy START command. @cmalex already knew that and gave me an important tip referring to its syntax. Thanks for that once again, @cmalex! In the early phase of Windows startup my starter program can't find the executables in its own directory. With a delay of 10 seconds for example, it has no problems to find them, though. On the other hand a delay is necessary to let Min2Tray start first. The program PopMenu has no influence on my startup program because StartProxy.exe is started separately. I'll investigate this more deeply in the next days. :yes: I already have some further ideas, just need only time to test it. temps1.gif Creating such a program package is not as easy as it seems. And you have to spend a lot of time to make it work as it should. thinking.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:
9 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Yes, probably!

Yes, they are!

Dear @mina7601! Thanks for your detailed report! That's what I need. A second confirmation that my package is working as expected. Very good! ssupercool2.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper ende.gif

@mina7601 When you start ProxHTTPSProxy via PopMenu, is its status window minimized after a short delay? :dubbio::)

Edited by AstroSkipper

17 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

XP SP2 x64

NO POSReady!  (I am unsure if POSReady is x86-only or not, I do NOT install POSReady on ANY of my computers.)

Very good! Then, my program package is working on XP x64, too. Great! ssupercool2.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

34 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

XP SP2 x64

NO POSReady!  (I am unsure if POSReady is x86-only or not, I do NOT install POSReady on ANY of my computers.)

AFAIK, such POSReady updates don't exist for Windows XP x64. They are not required to run ProxHTTPSProxy. But I think you probably can't access MU website, though, to search for updates by using this proxy. :no:

Edited by AstroSkipper

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

@Dave-H When I created the starter program StartProxy.exe, I tried many code variations to get it working, especially due to Microsoft's buggy START command. @cmalex already knew that and gave me an important tip referring to its syntax. Thanks for that once again, @cmalex! In the early phase of Windows startup my starter program can't find the executables in its own directory. With a delay of 10 seconds for example, it has no problems to find them, though. On the other hand a delay is necessary to let Min2Tray start first. The program PopMenu has no influence on my startup program because StartProxy.exe is started separately. I'll investigate this more deeply in the next days. :yes: I already have some further ideas, just need only time to test it. temps1.gif Creating such a program package is not as easy as it seems. And you have to spend a lot of time to make it work as it should. thinking.gif

Just an update on the delay problem.
If I put ProxHTTPSProxy.bat in the registry run key, the proxy starts immediately on boot as normal.
So it's not a problem with the proxy itself, it's an issue specifically with ProxHTTPSProxy.exe.
I thought perhaps that the path to the files needed to be in the PATH environment variable, but when I looked, it was already there, so it's not that!

6 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Just an update on the delay problem.
If I put ProxHTTPSProxy.bat in the registry run key, the proxy starts immediately on boot as normal.
So it's not a problem with the proxy itself, it's an issue specifically with ProxHTTPSProxy.exe.
I thought perhaps that the path to the files needed to be in the PATH environment variable, but when I looked, it was already there, so it's not that!

Unfortunately, that's no solution! The starter program ProxHTTPSProxy.bat was created by @cmalex and does not have the feature of ProxHTTPSProxy's automatic activation and deactivation in IE's proxy settings. sorry.gif Check the LAN settings, and you will see! I already tried it and modified it without any success, so far. jexplique.gifThat's the reason I created my own starter program. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content