What do we even do at this point?

sunryze

9 hours ago, legacyfan said:

that would just make the problem worse and cause more e-waste everywhere using linux would be the better as well as greener choice

I agree 100%

Edited by XPerceniol

Hm, should've put an /s. It wasn't meant to be a serious remark. Although everything eventually comes to an end.

But parts of Windows are seriously questionable and one wonders what goes through their minds. Not just Windows.

My bank figured they should replace a working mobile app with a new one. I had to set the profile image (on the website) to be able to get past login code entry screen. Yes, you have a profile picture in there, that's new. And before anyone thinks of social networks, we have those pictures in Windows XP as well. The thing was crashing with out of memory exception, because it is using one of the memory hungrier methods to load picture in Android...I think...at least that's what I deciphered from logcat and a bit searching on the internet, I forgot the details and didn't save the log. The default picture was 900x900 in size. My screen is smaller than that and the way it was displayed in the app, it is much smaller. Dedicated image viewers have no problem loading and displaying much larger pictures on the same device.

As mentioned, solved that by uploading a smaller 500x500 picture on the website, then realized the app is as terrible UI wise as reviews on Google Play suggest it to be. Very poor use of screen real estate. And the old app is blocked now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2024 at 8:53 AM, UCyborg said:

...Although everything eventually comes to an end.

Well I'm stuck in a time-loop somewhere between the 80's and 90's (I'm not joking here) For some reason, even though I firmly believe live for today, most of "me" got left behind somewhere and I can not recapture it - maybe I shouldn't even try. Yep, the "old me" VS this existence of just existing rather than "Living". This isn't living! I DO really wish I could just say I was talking about computers and technology, but I really wish I had a time machine and I'd gladly go back and appreciate what I had; now, I have just 'this' with nothing to look forward to. So I carry on as best as possible, maybe that is what we all do, I don't know. Just saying whilst everything changes and everything comes to an end, where is this fresh start people speak of because I can't see it - gonna be 51 this summer and time is not my friend and I feel if I can't change my state of being I'll forever be stuck.

Sorry guys if that was depressing - just been struggling as of late.

Edited by XPerceniol

I liked your posting because you feel comfortable to open up - not at your situation. Its hard to be stuck in the past which is behind us and gone.

Edited by XPerceniol

there is a big shift at now-days idiocracy / de-evolution
i guess it is only natural that we crave to stay in time when things were better for ourself's

i still save some toys from my pre-teen years
last week i bought a board game i last played back in 1995 :P (they don't make them anymore)
i hold to my Sega Genesis (and bunch of cartriges) in closet, even if i know i will never power it up again

Edited by vinifera

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 12:35 AM, vinifera said:

there is a big shift at now-days idiocracy / de-evolution
i guess it is only natural that we crave to stay in time when things were better for ourself's

i still save some toys from my pre-teen years
last week i bought a board game i last played back in 1995 :P (they don't make them anymore)
i hold to my Sega Genesis (and bunch of cartriges) in closet, even if i know i will never power it up again

Still have my SEGA Genesis here too :)

I think it's not about nostalgia nowadays, the world was really a bit better some years ago.  We've lost the beautiful shapes in buildings, cars, cities...

why do we need to completely convert a car to a InternetOfThings-car? do we really need a screen replacing the speedometer? same is happening with Windows OS, Taskbar was perfect before...

I never believed in the sentence there are two types of people (there are tons of different people) but we can now starting to see 2 types of people: 

Those who grew in a world where there were no Internet or Smartphones, and the others.