What do we even do at this point?

sunryze

On 12/29/2021 at 2:45 AM, vinifera said:

reading this i feel old like s***
my 1st use was DOS with norton commander :D

If it's any consolation, my Dad used to have a Commodore 64 that I loved playing around on as a kid, at least before I got introduced to the NES and SNES. One reason why I've been looking into all the projects to make new C64s, I kinda want to make one too. Emulation's a bit annoying given how the C64 keyboard layout is so different from the 104-key US QWERTY layout.

When my Dad was still in the Air Force sometimes he'd sometimes take me to his office and let me play games on his IBM PC or mess around in Paint on Windows 3.1. Scorched Earth was one I remember the most.

9 hours ago, bookie32 said:

Mac is always a good option = EXPENSIVE!!

Not to mention, Apple has a reputation when it comes to letting users repair their hardware. Louis Rossman has been one of the most vocal critics on how Apple handles things. One of his recent videos on the current state of things.

Making your own "Hackintosh" was viable for a while, though that might be a reason why Apple was motivated into developing their own silicon. This guy found that trying to make a Hackintosh comparable to current Macs in price ends up falling short in performance.

I gotta say that my views on periods of time can get a bit skewed based on where my thinking is. I constantly thought that "ever since Windows 10 was out that everything was bad" in which yes, that is true in some circumstances, but I can take a look at different things. Lot's of pretty amazing things (or amazing to me) came to exist during 2015-2021. I'd say an actual built-in dark mode was a nice feature, DWM fixing multi-monitor refresh rate difference issues, and interestingly, not having a single corrupt file on my Windows 10 21H2 install after just two weeks, which yes is not much time, but previously I would start having sfc /scannow detect issues. Nowadays, I don't have that. Possibly because of how many updates 1904x.x has gotten. Who knows.

9 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

DWM fixing multi-monitor refresh rate difference issues

This requires new enough GPU I presume supporting GPU scheduling or whatever? There's no difference on newer Win10 when having 59 Hz screen and 75 Hz screen on my end, running the second screen at 75 Hz rather than 60 Hz is still weird, so I keep it at 60 Hz, closest to the other screen that doesn't go any higher.

8 hours ago, UCyborg said:

This requires new enough GPU I presume supporting GPU scheduling or whatever? There's no difference on newer Win10 when having 59 Hz screen and 75 Hz screen on my end, running the second screen at 75 Hz rather than 60 Hz is still weird, so I keep it at 60 Hz, closest to the other screen that doesn't go any higher.

No, its not GPU scheduling. It's just a dwm update which, in my case, my primary monitor is 165hz, and my secondary is 75hz. When a window is being moved between the two, or content is being rendered on the slower one, the primary will get slowed down to the secondary speed. Now, the primary stays full speed and the window rendering still happens at 165hz, but the secondary just can't display it at that speed. It makes Windows just seem to run smoother, nothing else than that.

Judging by autoscrolling smoothness, my slower screen at 59 Hz still seems to be slowing down the faster one at 75 Hz. If only faster one is enabled, it's OK. That's on Win10 20H2. AFAIK, the mentioned DWM updated landed in 20H1.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 2:06 PM, Gansangriff said:

Off-Topic:
Then tell the people at Philips first to switch the production from tulips to operating systems!

Or some day, let's go the Heinz-Nixdorf-museum and weep together...

Certainly !

You mean we should see a German made OS there ? Or a German made CPU , maybe ?

I remember there were Thomson made CPUs out there in the wild (1980-1990s) . Do not remember German-made though. 

At this state of things we need to cover ourselves with a white sheet and crawl to the nearest cemetery because the gaming days are over , unless you have a 10 grand of Euro freely floating around.

In 2014 I bought a TOP PC with GTX980 SSC and 16Gb of RAM for *only* 1100 Euro. 

On 12/29/2021 at 1:45 AM, TrevMUN said:

You'll probably want a TITAN Black, then, if you can still find one. From what I can see, that's the most powerful card which supports CSAA. You'll take a little bit of a performance hit switching from your 980 though.

Perhaps if you're lucky to find two TITAN Blacks, you could run them SLI and make up for that.

EDIT: In fact, I just went and checked eBay, and it looks like there's a handful of people selling them. As of this edit, there's three bids on someone selling two of them for $205 each.

Well , thank you . The problem is , he refused to ship them to me . So I bought Titan X and can't use it . It's a hellish oven way over 95 degrees (celsius). So I went to read and found this . Seems like this card has manufacturing defects. It can't be just so many people reported this out of the blue. No wonder I got it so cheap. I mean , it works , but it's so hot and loud !!! MX4 didn't help. 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/197392/just-got-the-titan-x-runs-extremely-hot/

12 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Well , thank you . The problem is , he refused to ship them to me . So I bought Titan X and can't use it . It's a hellish oven way over 95 degrees (celsius). So I went to read and found this . Seems like this card has manufacturing defects. It can't be just so many people reported this out of the blue. No wonder I got it so cheap. I mean , it works , but it's so hot and loud !!! MX4 didn't help. 

95 C?! Holy moly. I guess I lucked out with my TITAN X Maxwell; I've had the opposite experience. Right now System Information Viewer said my card's at 30 C; ran a game of Quake 1.5 to see how it does under load with all the bells and whistles, and it topped out at 43 C. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard the fans crank up on this thing. Maybe I don't stress the card enough, though given that user's talking about seeing 88 C temperatures in CS:GO's menu, if my card had the same problem surely it would have already exhibited this behavior with my usual workloads ...

It certainly sounds like your friend offloaded a lemon on you. But hey, why not make lemonade with it? The TITAN X Maxwell has 12GB of VRAM. You could take that defective card and any spare or old computer parts you have on hand, install something like HiveOS or ethOS, and run the machine as a combination crypto miner/space heater. Depends on your living conditions, of course. I did something similarly with a broken Radeon R9 380 I got on Craigslist. It's helped cut down on the need to run the HVAC, with natural gas prices being what they are of late ...

Edited by TrevMUN

Well , we have an oceanic climate here , very soft winters , if you could even call it a winter . It's about +7(C) during these days. I live in an 18th century house with a wooden oven . I barely use it because I cook on the electric one . But this wooden oven can be used for heating and even forging . I don't have gas pipelines in my house at all.

In 2021, the town became part of the transnational UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its famous baths and its architectural testimony . Is it good ? One one hand : yes .

On the other : the bloody tourists , lots of them . Esp. the russian ones, the most annoying and very loud.

So I went to our nearest repair shop and guess what ? They told me it's pretty normal for the second batch of this hot chip to run this way . I guess you're lucky that you have the first revision chip (this is my guess though). The card works absolutely fine , I had to increase the fan speed though . Now it's about 88 degrees during heavy load. Not bad , considering the fact of only 50 Euro paid. During casual gaming it's about 75-76 (C). Overall , I don't like . I didn't notice any huge improvements over my GTX 980 SSC.

I don't need 12GB of VRAM . In most of my games only 4 used at max.

I'll search for the black Titan , like you told me , it should be much better . Thanks again .

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Well , we have an oceanic climate here , very soft winters , if you could even call it a winter . It's about +7(C) during these days. I live in an 18th century house with a wooden oven . I barely use it because I cook on the electric one . But this wooden oven can be used for heating and even forging . I don't have gas pipelines in my house at all.

I guess it depends on what you're willing to tolerate. I'm presently renting bedrooms in the San Francisco Bay Area, and our temperatures have been similar. It's 4:30 AM as I post this and right now the temperature outside is 48 F/9 C. During the day it's been getting up to around 65 F/18 C, though the indoor temps only ever get around 62 F / 16 C at most.

The homeowner of the place I'm staying at right now, before his family left for Taiwan last December, set the HVAC set to 68 F/20 C. Even though the utilities were split evenly between the landlord and all tenants, my share of the bill was around $115~110 as a result.

This winter I'd been trying to use the HVAC as little as possible (though when the house got down to 52 F / 11 C at one point, that was too cold even for me) and just let my computers do the work of heating the house. Our bills have been much, much lower as a result; I paid less than $60 last month.

Something's definitely wrong with prices in California. I'd say the inflation is bad all over the world too, but California is always overpriced and overregulated . And this manufactured crisis is not over yet . 

FEGab_hWUAM7Qvz?format=png