360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

Just now, Dave-H said:

Would something like a png image be better for screen grabs, and if so why?

Yes, though JPEG doesn't necessarily have to look that bad if you modify the settings used to save the image, assuming your program doesn't have them hardcoded.

https://undsgn.com/jpg-vs-png/

It boils down to different formats being better suited for different use cases.

Just now, Dave-H said:

This is a png grab BTW, does it look better?

Indeed. :yes:

@Dave-H
Either way, don't expect greatness when it comes to font rendering in Chromium browsers. It's just poor, at least on Windows. And certainly don't expect miracles from the backported browser with the only quality standard being "It compiles and kinda runs on Windows XP".

I have pretty decent luck with fonts on my XP.  But I do have to jump through some hoops to disable any and ALL "cleartype" and "anti-aliasing" and "sub-pixel" B&LLSH!T.

When Win7 first came out, I landed in an MRI machine because of the MIGRAINES due to Win7's "cleartype" fonts!  I've disabled "Segoe UI" ever since.  Win10's default fonts don't give me migraines but I still disable "Segoe UI" at all costs.

If fonts on my system rendered like the below screencap posted by Dave-H, I would be outside throwing that computer around so much that I'd be in prison for ten years for the massive disturbance of the peace I would be making.

This looks absolutely HORRENDOUS.  I count at least SIX unique colors for what is supposed to be rendered as "black" !!!

image.png.0cd3a57b4b5f39c531ddaaa55131d705.png

The Digital Spy problems all revolve around their use of a font called "libre franklin".

My default settings block it via NoScript.  The font is coming from gstatic.com and I disable gstatic fonts by default.  Blocking that font also corrects the italics for Doctor Who.

With that font allowed -

image.png.de4d5ca0a0290c1971659acb66815aea.png

With that font blocked -

image.png.f3f5680dff8014b56d6066e8a50c4db9.png

24 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Now you've blown up that section like that, I can see the problem!

And those "colors" are there on your end whether you post your screencaps as jpg (where we can see all the colors) or as png (which hides those colors from us [alpha-blending?]).

It's actually totally amazed me over the years on how RARE my eyesight is.  There were people that tried to sue Microsoft when they pushed "cleartype".  But only a very small percentage of the population can "see" the PROBLEMS with "cleartype".

On 1/7/2022 at 12:45 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

(ps, how's this for a chuckle, I actually used to think that you and Dixel were the same person, just logging in under different usernames, lol.)

(how's this for a chuckle, I actually think that you and Vistapocalypse are the same person, just logging in under different usernames, lol.)

Now back on topic , I don't have any problems with Chrome's fonts on Vista . And never had . The screencap was made with default Vista's settings . No additional colours.

Perhaps something's wrong with your Nvidia GT610 ? I read low-end GPUs can't render small pixels properly .

no coloureds.png

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

When Win7 first came out, I landed in an MRI machine because of the MIGRAINES due to Win7's "cleartype" fonts!  I've disabled "Segoe UI" ever since.

Totally agree ! Windows 7 sucks big time . It's an over-blurred mess. BTW , I took the above screencap with the lowest possible settings !! (5kb for this image) . Still, the quallity is fine.

8 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Perhaps something's wrong with your Nvidia GT610 ? I read low-end GPUs can't render small pixels properly .

This computer has an Nvidia GeForce GT 635.

But I've witnessed that font-blur crap on hundreds of computers.

The factory floor has 350+ computers, they all do that font-blur crap!

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

This computer has an Nvidia GeForce GT 635

Weird card , non-standard and still low-end. Also , I doubt your other 365 computers have decent cards . Open NVCPL and set everything up like I show you in this screencap . The fonts should look awesome with these settings. 

P.S. Problem with the upload trying again

Edited by D.Draker