360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

On 1/9/2022 at 7:33 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Yep, we got it figured out.

As for your learning curve, I only use five extensions and three of them can fix Digital Spy fonts all by itself.
   1)  Easiest  --  NoScript  --  block fonts on gstatic.com
   2)  Medium difficulty  --  Stylus  --  unset body font-family
   3)  Hardest  --  Tampermonkey  --  replace "libre franklin" font-family with any font of your preference

Wanted to thank you ... I have blocked:

0.0.0.0 csi.gstatic.com
0.0.0.0 accounts.gstatic.com
0.0.0.0 fonts.gstatic.com
0.0.0.0 mail.gstatic.com
0.0.0.0 maps.gstatic.com
0.0.0.0 encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com
0.0.0.0 encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com
0.0.0.0 encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com

I've removed Franklin Gothic (2 fonts) and am doing fine without them totally gone with no replacement.

This has has made a HUGE difference in browsing.

EDIT: Please do not mess with gstatic other than csi and fonts - I ran into trouble today until I reset my entire connection. I made google VERY angry.

https://yoodley.com/gstatic-meaning/

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-gstatic-com-used-for-all-you-need-to-know

I feel disgusted that we can not rid ourselves of evil google.

Edited by XPerceniol

Yes indeed, I have sometimes had to revert to older versions because updates don't actually work any more with the browser.
I've done that on Firefox a few times, one recent update was to the Avast Online Security extension, which updated and no longer worked in Firefox 52.9 ESR, even though the extensions page for it said that it should do!
:)

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

This has has made a HUGE difference in browsing.

Cool.

I used to go the route of emailing the web master on web sites that worked perfectly in one browser but looked terrible in another browser.

I stopped doing that because I got sick and tired of the "answer" ALWAYS being "switch to Firefox".

Rates right up there with "use Linux" as far as a totally USELESS "answer".

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

48 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

I've removed Franklin Gothic (2 fonts) and am doing fine without them totally gone with no replacement.

"Libre Franklin" (the font used on Digital Spy) and "Franklin Gothic" (default font installed with XP) are not the same thing.

"Libre Franklin" is an 'interpretation and expansion of the classic Franklin Gothic typeface'.

I guarantee you that 100% of the time that you encounter a problematic font (which, yes, does happen more in Chromium browsers than in Mozilla browsers), it's because that font does NOT EXIST in your Windows \ Fonts directory.

Rather, that font is being "fetched" (from gstatic.com in the case of Digital Spy) by the web browser and used only for the web page being rendered (it is not being "installed" into Windows \ Fonts directory).

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

5 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I disable DirectWrite (default is enabled).

I have not experimented with FontCache scaling and still have it set to default - have you experimented with FontCache scaling?

Thanks again and will disable it. 

I'm going to disable FontCache and roll with that today and let you know what happenes.

Sorry to report this, but the text vanashing issue is still there in v11 and has already happend 2 times this morning on two other forum not computer ralted ;(

Updated download for v12 in first post.

Hard-coding out some default search engines (which do not appear unless you use your own "Web Data" [this file contains profile settings, not telemetry, so should not be deleted as a means towards preventing telemetry] file or your file somehow becomes corrupted [or you deleted it thinking it contained telemetry]) is still in-process and did not make it into this update.

2 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

the text vanashing issue is still there in v11

I disable Accelerated 2D canvas on my local profile (it is not disabled in the uploaded version) and this seems to greatly reduce the number of times that my text vanishes.  I still get the vanishing text, just not nearly as often.  Mileage may vary.

image.thumb.png.30bc6f97b67713ebe46ee4e73af3f908.png

Yes. I read that in a posting a while back and disabled 2d canvas. I have 3d set to its default which is enabled (even though I don't play 3d games), and pixel canvas recording to its default, I'm not sure if that should be enabled or disabled or left alone? Not sure of its status at default. I hope you'll keep looking and will discover the cause.

3D software rasterizer

Fall back to a 3D software rasterizer when the GPU cannot be used. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android

#disable-software-rasterizer

Enable pixel canvas recording

Pixel canvas recording allows the compositor to raster contents aligned with the pixel and improves text rendering. This should be enabled when a device is using fractional scale factor. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS

#enable-pixel-canvas-recording

LCD text antialiasing

If disabled, text is rendered with grayscale antialiasing instead of LCD (subpixel) when doing accelerated compositing. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS

#lcd-text-aa

Also have this set to default and not sure of its status (enabled or disabled) Not sure about this either.

Edited by XPerceniol