360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

On 10/26/2021 at 11:22 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

Isolated to alpha_3.  Should have this corrected tomorrow.

Thanks , now this function works OK. But I tested your "ungoogled" version and it's absolutely not ungoogled . It makes all of the connections that other chrome browsers usually do.

Take a look at the screencapture made with a clean profile at the startup . Yes , I renamed the executable from 360chrome.exe to just chrome.exe and in the ini file too.

I think calling it "ungoogled" is wrong and misleading . It's pretty far fetched . Should be something "made some attempts to reduce google connections" or smth like that.

NOT ungoogled 2021.10.3.png

On 10/30/2021 at 1:40 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

Agreed.
I personally find it extremely narrow-minded how Firefox users boycott Chromium-based browsers.
If you are on the internet, you are being tracked to some degree, period!
We do our best to limit the tracking, but I really do believe that Firefox users turn a blind eye to the tracking that Firefox employs and they go into epileptic shock whenever they hear the word "Chromium" or "Chrome".
I sometimes feel like I should play Devil's Advocate and create a new member account and post telemetry findings left and right on every Firefox Fanatic Forum I can find.

Don't get me wrong.  I used Firefox (in the form of Pale Moon, Mypal, and New Moon) for YEARS.
But times change - several of my web sites NO LONGER WORK in Pale Moon, Mypal, and New Moon!  And it's not an XP Thing, the web sites DO NOT WORK in Pale Moon, Mypal, and New Moon on Win 7 or Win 10 either!

I keep my eyes open and test new releases.  MAYBE one of these days I will return to Firefox-based browsers.  But when web sites DO NOT WORK, then I really have very limited options.

And this really does SAY IT ALL  --
Chrome global market share = 65.2%
Firefox global market share = 3.7%

There is a REASON that Firefox is so LOW.
And Firefox users really should wake up if they are TRULY concerned with "fingerprinting"  --  it is MUCH easier to find a needle in a TINY haystack then it is to find one in a GIGANTIC haystack.
"Fingerprinting" has nothing to do with blocking fonts, blocking User Agent, blocking resolution detection.
"Fingerprinting" is about having 30 or 40 metrics, being able to detect only 6 to 10 of those metrics, and you are uniquely identified by only those 6 to 10.

Forensics don't need an entire "fingerprint", they only need a very small portion of the fingerprint to "identify" the felon.

But anyway...

Personally, as I have written several times I am more interested in security than privacy.
Second option is the comfort of use.

On 10/29/2021 at 2:16 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

Several AutoIt .exe files will be contained within the same folder that contains the 360Loader .exe/.ini.

These AutoIt files are run-when-needed files for the end user to change between various file structures.

Would it be possible for eventual hackers to take advantage of these AutoIt .exe scripts and change their destination for an executable of their choice? Convert your scripts into their standalone .exe files?..
I hope this would not be possible...:dubbio:

Nope, not possible.

All they do is rename something like "resources.pak.ungoogled" or "resources.pak.regular" to "resources.pak" or something like "jisu9.dark-theme.srx" or "jisu9.xp-theme.srx" to "jisu9.srx".

Chromium browsers cannot execute any .exe without a confirmation dialog and user-interaction with that confirmation dialog.

On top of that, the OS throws a file-sharing error if you try to change the name of any of these files while 360Chrome is running.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

21 hours ago, msfntor said:

With hovering the link (which is in fact the redirect), could we have the redirect address (= real address) in the status bar, please?

Example here: https://communities.ca.com/thread/241769658-how-to-execute-the-autoit-script-through-action

- so could we have the redirect address (= real address) in the status bar, in this case: https://community.broadcom.com/ ... - with hovering the mouse pointer over a questionable link, in this case communities.ca.com/...

Interesting article to read: https://askleo.com/hover-over-a-link/

Edited by msfntor
article link

Not possible (well, more in a second).

The web page where you are hovering over the link does not even contain the "real link".

Only AFTER you click the link does THEIR servers bounce your request around and finally land on the "real link".

So you are asking your browser to basically click ALL LINKS and verify if those links land on where they say they land, then send that to the status line.

Maybe there is an extension that prevents 301's (and 302's) [ps, "preventing" means to stop the redirect and throw up a dialog asking if you wish to be redirected], but a link is just a link and only the receiving server will know if it has beem moved or not.

If you really want to learn how to catch things like this, I suggest a program called Proxomitron [it can prevent 301's and 302's] (but it will be a very steap learning curve, I've used it for decades but it's not something you learn in a day or two or even weeks).

Here is the "debug source code" via Proxomitron  --

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

On 10/31/2021 at 5:12 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

Post #1 in the thread describes what is meant/intended by "ungoogled".

I also probably shouldn't call it "ungoogled" when the default search engine is Google.

Semantics.

I realize the thread is normally to discuss issues; but I've been using your V12 "ungoogled" without any issues. As I've said, I'm not scared of google and do use the search engine because the results are more relevant results ... of course, I know that comes at a cost. mainly see your "ungoogled" version(s) less bloated with stuff I'm not using anyway.

Very satisfied thus far :)

Edited by XPerceniol

On 11/1/2021 at 5:55 PM, XPerceniol said:

but I've been using your V12 "ungoogled" without any issues.

I have reverted to v12 "ungoogled" as my default-for-all.

I had high hopes for v13.5 but the very first launch each and every morning after turning on the computer always results in a lockup requiring a Task Manager end-process.

Subsequent launches throughout the day are always fine (unless launching an alternate profile and then it will require an end-process via Task Manager).

Quite annoying how first launch after reboot or return from hibernate/sleep is always such an issue.

Same goes for v11, v12, v13, Pale Moon, New Moon, Mypal, Basilisk/Serpent, BNavigator, Chrome v49 - they ALL take three to eight times longer to launch that first launch after a reboot or return from hibernate/sleep.

But v13.5 is the ONLY one requiring an end-process via Task Manager  :realmad:

Hi

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

But v13.5 is the ONLY one requiring an end-process via Task Manager  :realmad:

It's strange, I don't have this problem with the 13.5.1030 "ungoogled" version on my xp sp2 PC. On the contrary, this is the version that works best, no crashes or freezes since I've been using it. :thumbup

it's true that all 360chrome versions take a little longer to start up on the first launch. version 11 works fine, but I have a jerking problem on all videos, which does not exist on versions 12 and 13.

In the end, I mainly use version 13.5.1030 of "ArcticFoxie" and the 12.0.1592 of "Humming Owl", because it has the float video which allows me to close all chrome windows and keep only the float video and it allows a better fluidity on my old Pentium 4 3Ghz.

I had high hopes for v13.5 but the very first launch each and every morning after turning on the computer always results in a lockup requiring a Task Manager end-process.

Quite annoying how first launch after reboot or return from hibernate/sleep is always such an issue.

I don't have such issue ... v 13.5 works always flawlessly here. NEVER seen such issue.

Windows x86 SP2 here...