360 Extreme Explorer Modified Version

3 hours ago, jumper said:

Except when it still works....

On some websites, to some extent - yes, but you always leave a unique fingerprint behind.

Besides, sites may simply crash or not work at all when they discover the function they requested is absent in chromium 86.

I once used an android mobile UA with this browser, many sites tolerate the old mobile Chrome agent much better.

Something like:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 10; insert phone model) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) SamsungBrowser/xx.x Chrome/xx.x.xxx.xx Mobile Safari/537.36

xxx replace with the Chrome/browser version you want.

how do you clear cache and cookies for a "specific" website ?

Edit : its ok i found it under Advavce - content settings -cookies - All cookies

then deleted from there

seems to have done the trick as the website Wouldnt log me out

Edited by DrWho3000

3 hours ago, DrWho3000 said:

how do you clear cache and cookies for a "specific" website ?

... There exist several "caches" in Chromium-based browsers: Browser Cache, App Cache, ShaderCache, GrShaderCache, Code Cache, GPUCache (this list from my KMB profile; Ch87-based ;) ); I'm not aware of a "method" to clear browser cache on a "per-site" basis (probably exists, just not aware of it :whistle:) ...

As for the second part of your question, it seems to be a recurring one :P 

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182304-extreme-explorer-360-chromium-78-86-general-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=1216282

... and an answer from "yours, truly":

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182304-extreme-explorer-360-chromium-78-86-general-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=1216289

Then again: 

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182993-360-extreme-explorer-arcticfoxie-versions/?do=findComment&comment=1223512

... and an answer from NHTPG

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182993-360-extreme-explorer-arcticfoxie-versions/?do=findComment&comment=1223515

For your convenience :P, it might be best to use the Bookmarks feature on your browser ;) ...

Cheers :) ...

Edited by VistaLover

On 3/6/2024 at 4:15 PM, VistaLover said:

I'd have expected a "science-related" site to have implemented true scientific means (i.e. feature-detection) to check whether "my" browser is able to display it properly, but, hey, even "scientists" must have "sold their souls" to Google ...

Most likely, Science Direct didn't develop their Web site at all; they just hired some Web developer to do it, and the Web developer is still doing things the old way (UA sniffing). Chase.com is guilty of this too, but at least you don't expect better from bankers.

In (sort of) defense of UA sniffing, if the site wouldn't work, it's probably better to sniff the UA and give a message than to just have the Web site not work properly and frustrate the user. But in that case, they shouldn't require a newer version than what's actually needed for the site to work. Since the site apparently runs fine with Chromium 87, they don't need to be requiring (say) Chromium 109.

I suspect the developers tested with 109 (or whatever version), saw that it worked, and just blindly put in the version that they tested with as the requirement. Lazy, but who's going to complain (other than us)?

Anyway, thanks for the tip on a SSUAO extension for Chrome. I've been wanting one, but the user agent extensions I've seen recommended here haven't been site-specific.

12 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

But in that case, they shouldn't require a newer version than what's actually needed for the site to work.
Since the site apparently runs fine with Chromium 87, they don't need to be requiring (say) Chromium 109.

I suspect the developers tested with 109 (or whatever version), saw that it worked, and just blindly put in the version that they tested with as the requirement.

... I did some further testing today ;) and it appears that the cut-off value has been set at Chrome/100.0 :o (for the tests to work, one has to wipe out browser cache and "sciencedirect.com"-set cookies before testing a different "Chrome/*" value ;) ); 100+ will load the site fine in 360EEv13.x/KMB , 99- will redirect to the "browser-out-of-date" page :angry: :( ; since this is a block purely based on UA-sniffin', I would argue they had blocked older clients for "security-related FUD"; I don't believe their servers risk any harm by allowing those older clients though, the tactics smell of forcing the user to switch to a more "secure" browser version (however, v100 is still far from v122 :dubbio:, the current Google Chrome) ...

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I would argue they had blocked older clients for "security-related FUD"

That is certainly possible. I'm sure it was part of Chase's decision to require 109 (although only 106 on Android), since Chrome 109 was the oldest version to get the WebP fix last year.

But again, at least Chase can argue that they're trying to protect their customers' money; what's Science Direct trying to protect? As you noted, a Web server is at no risk from older browsers. But I bet a lot of Web developers don't understand that.

I think a lot of folks, even cybersecurity experts, don't really understand cybersecurity. They just know there are "vulnerabilities" and don't delve into what exactly is "vulnerable" and what isn't - so they just blindly try to close off every "vulnerability" they can get away with.

19 hours ago, VistaLover said:

for "security-related FUD"

I always have to laugh when people use acronyms that may be everyday knowledge for their inner circle but that others have never heard of.

I seriously thought this "FUD" meant "F'd Up Display" (ie, web page not rendered correctly) and it was acronymized (yes, I made up that word) because the "F Word" is not allowed here at MSFN.

5 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

may be everyday knowledge for their inner circle

... Well, all I can tell you is that "my inner circle" most probably doesn't know what FUD means :whistle:; I have picked that up some years ago, by reading posts on the net :P ; and yes, I had to first look up its proper meaning ;) ...

14 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I always have to laugh when people use acronyms that may be everyday knowledge for their inner circle but that others have never heard of.

I seriously thought this "FUD" meant "F'd Up Display" (ie, web page not rendered correctly) and it was acronymized (yes, I made up that word) because the "F Word" is not allowed here at MSFN.

In China, many peole use acronyms on the social media, but other people don't know, so some people hate it,like me...

• 3 weeks later...