360 Extreme Explorer Modified Version

On 8/27/2023 at 10:02 PM, Dixel said:

No.

The Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5244 ($469.99 as tested) is a budget ...

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/toshiba-satellite-c55d-b5244

Yes...

There were tons of different configurations, cheapest one was $230.

"The Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5219 is yet another affordable notebook option. Besides the low price of $330, the 15.6-incher offers mid-tier instead of entry-level performance and generous data storage space.
All factors combined, the C55-B5219 holds up well against its competitors. However, if the budget is your main concern and don’t need more than the most basic performance, you can save 100 bucks by purchasing the Toshiba Satellite C55-B5201."
https://laptoping.com/specs/product/toshiba-satellite-c55d-b5219/

Best Buy 8 years ago: $229.99 + a $30 gift...
Toshiba - Satellite 15.6" Laptop - AMD E1-Series - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Jet Black
Model: C55D-B5308
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/reviews/toshiba-satellite-15-6-laptop-amd-e1-series-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-jet-black/1296027

Speaking of older laptops.

I have an old Asus X54C lying around that I decided to bring back to life.  i3-2350M at 2.3 GHz, 4 GB DDR3.  Win7 Home Premium x64.  Circa 2011 or 2013.

Unsure if this was a low-end model, a mid-level model, or a top-of-the-line model "back in the day".

Reinstalled Win7.

Turning out to be a complete waste of time!  ALL web browsers I have tried on this score 30 or below on Speedometer.  In the TEENS for several roytam builds.  TEENS!  I've never seen anything score that badly!

But it's not just the "score", this thing has got to be the SLOWEST computer I've ever ran!

Type a URL in the address bar of ANY web browser and it sits there for at least four seconds before doing anything, another three to nine seconds before the page starts to load.

Network or wi-fi both show and test just as fast as all of my XP and Win10 machines - but this Win7 is TERRIBLE.

EXTREME network lag.

12 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Planned Obsolescence = Job Security

The hype and propaganda of "security vulnerabilites" will sell a refrigerator to an eskimo.

You are right,agreesed with you...

10 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Speaking of older laptops.

I have an old Asus X54C lying around that I decided to bring back to life.  i3-2350M at 2.3 GHz, 4 GB DDR3.  Win7 Home Premium x64.  Circa 2011 or 2013.

Unsure if this was a low-end model, a mid-level model, or a top-of-the-line model "back in the day".

Reinstalled Win7.

Turning out to be a complete waste of time!  ALL web browsers I have tried on this score 30 or below on Speedometer.  In the TEENS for several roytam builds.  TEENS!  I've never seen anything score that badly!

But it's not just the "score", this thing has got to be the SLOWEST computer I've ever ran!

Type a URL in the address bar of ANY web browser and it sits there for at least four seconds before doing anything, another three to nine seconds before the page starts to load.

Network or wi-fi both show and test just as fast as all of my XP and Win10 machines - but this Win7 is TERRIBLE.

EXTREME network lag.

If you add a SSD, maybe it worked faster...

1 hour ago, hidao said:

If you add a SSD, maybe it worked faster...

Not likely.  SSD is faster, there is no doubt about that.  But it's also over-rated and exaggerated when you consider that larger RAM computers do all their talking between CPU and RAM.

The speed of the SSD or HDD is only a factor when "loading" the program into RAM.

It's also fairly easy to prove.  Unless I missed something.

I can run an OS from a DVD-R, complete with web browser on that DVD-R, wait for the disk to STOP SPINNING, then type a URL in the address bar, the disk does NOT start spinning.

Translation - if the DVD-R was not accessed, then neither is the HDD or SSD.

7 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Not likely.  SSD is faster, there is no doubt about that.  But it's also over-rated and exaggerated when you consider that larger RAM computers do all their talking between CPU and RAM.

The speed of the SSD or HDD is only a factor when "loading" the program into RAM.

It's also fairly easy to prove.  Unless I missed something.

I can run an OS from a DVD-R, complete with web browser on that DVD-R, wait for the disk to STOP SPINNING, then type a URL in the address bar, the disk does NOT start spinning.

Translation - if the DVD-R was not accessed, then neither is the HDD or SSD.

You know, it's a feel ,not really...

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

My car is 32 years old.  Not a single solitary spot of rust!  I do firmly support the notion of "if you take care of it, it will last forever".

My kids are the same way!  They may have phones that are SEVERAL times older than their friends's phones.

But my kids's phone have no scratches, don't even have "screen protectors".

Because if you know how to TAKE CARE OF THINGS, they will last a long time.

But there also has to be a sense of realism - and sorry, expecting a 20yr old computer to compete with a 5yr old computer is not realistic.

But I also must admit, neither is my 32yr old car "for most people".  People drive like MANIACS and falsely think that "green means gun it", it doesn't "green means go".

On 8/28/2023 at 10:41 PM, Skorpios said:

Yes...

There were tons of different configurations, cheapest one was $230..

Best Buy? Is this a joke? They don't do direct international orders, they never did, there is, however, not direct weird scheme to ship to a U.S. address, and only then to your country through a third party! I'm sure you understand (or don't?) it involves more money/taxes/payments/conversions from one currency to another. in the end, you will never see such a price, esp. if we are to assume you're from Sweden, one of the most highest taxes countries. To spare you some time, scroll to the bottom, or see at the start:

"Price: 400, 500, 699 Euro". And now convert to USD, at the rate of that time, which was 1.4 (or 1.5?) USD per One Euro!

A short summary of all models/prices in Europe for that laptop, including the cheaper models.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Toshiba-Satellite-C55D-Series.148005.0.html

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Best Buy? Is this a joke? They don't do direct international orders, they never did, there is, however, not direct weird scheme to ship to a U.S. address, and only then to your country through a third party! I'm sure you understand (or don't?) it involves more money/taxes/payments/conversions from one currency to another. in the end, you will never see such a price, esp. if we are to assume you're from Sweden, one of the most highest taxes countries. To spare you some time, scroll to the bottom, or see at the start:

"Price: 400, 500, 699 Euro". And now convert to USD, at the rate of that time, which was 1.4 (or 1.5?) USD per One Euro!

A short summary of all models/prices in Europe for that laptop, including the cheaper models.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Toshiba-Satellite-C55D-Series.148005.0.html

OT
No, it's not a joke... NHTPG linked to american prices at the time. You didn't believe it, I showed you that it was dirt cheap i the US.
What the price was in France, Sweden, Russia, Greenland or Îles Kerguelen is out of context.
/OT

I already have a warning and can't get involved in political BS with you so this is my last post on the matter.

Bonne soirée! :)

On 8/2/2023 at 1:27 PM, VistaLover said:

... FWIW, that "Original download link" now produces a "Server not found" error :o ...

Thanks for the information, will attach the Internet Archive link shared by @mina7601
---
BTW, Hello to everybody! I hope everyone is doing great and the browser still is usuable for some >:] 

PD: A link I just found recently about browsers --> https://retrobrowsers.neocities.org/

4 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

Thanks for the information, will attach the Internet Archive link shared by @mina7601
---
BTW, Hello to everybody! I hope everyone is doing great and the browser still is usuable for some >:] 

PD: A link I just found recently about browsers --> https://retrobrowsers.neocities.org/

Where could I download the zh-cn language-packs of serpent browser?