Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)

Dave-H

15 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

So, you have Flash installed in your system, but not in the browser? Why keep it then? Just to fill a few MB on your drive?

No, the most "dangerous" software to use on your PC is Windows10. It hijacks your whole system, and you're even happy for this, lol...

I want to play my flash games, screw "unknown vulnerabilities" :P

Why do you write that I don't have the Flash plug-in in New Moon 28?
If you see better in the control panel image where it says

............NPAPI plug-in 32.0.0.433

My Flash plug-in installed in NM28 is in mode:

"Click to play"

and it is obviously hidden from any fingerprint scans in malformed web pages with exploit/malware content.
I thought it was obvious.

b2AFaRD1_o.jpg

To insert the image above I made it visible.
But even hidden it is fully functional.

But you naturally follow your philosophy .......;):D

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

21 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Microsoft will disable Flash Player at the OS level.
Flash will die in no time even if Adobe had followed a different path.

As always, nothing is straight forward...

Microsoft: We're getting rid of Flash by the end of the year - except you can still use it

"Microsoft confirmed that it plans to end support for Adobe Flash Player in its three browser variants at the end of the year, but the company intends to allow corporate customers to keep the outdated tech on life support beyond that date."

Adobe Flash Player EOL Enterprise Information Page

"HARMAN will be the official enterprise distributor for Flash Player providing support and security updates beyond 2020."

"After 2020, Flash Player playback will be blocked by default. This can be overridden by using enterprise enablement functionality available in Adobe’s latest release of Flash Player."

"Full details can be found in our Flash Player Administration guide (see ‘Enterprise Enablement’ section)."

Unhelpfully the document doesn't allow Copy but the Enterprise Enablement section starts on page 28. The Silver Bullet appears to be to add EOLUninstallDisable=1 to mms.cfg (this sits in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash)

How easy it will be to get hold of HARMAN's versions of Flash Player, who knows. :huh:

Ben.

3 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Why do you write that I don't have the Flash plug-in in New Moon 28?

Wasn't there an empty plugins page screenshot before, huh?! This would mean not visible to the browser, not a simple "Click to play".

Am i mistaken (if so, sorry), or you edited it out... can't recall now :P

3 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

To insert the image above I made it visible.
But even hidden it is fully functional.

A-ha!

It must be some trick with NM that i'm not aware of. Do you restart the browser to make it visible? If it's a simple toggle without a need to restart, i'd like to know how it's done.

A browser won't be able to start a plugin if it doesn't see it at all...

Anyways, glad to know you've worked it out :P

"plugin.scan.plid.all" set to false.

I repeat after the end of support, if you need to browse untrusted web pages.

Obviously when you need to use Flash you have to reset to default.

The latest build of Chrome also has Flash disabled.
If the "click to play" set to on, there is an annoying security warning.
I have conducted some tests and I think that for my current needs I will uninstall Flash from the OS.

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably been like it for a while, but I've just noticed that on XP Oracle's Java test page now redirects to an uninstall page, saying that the operating system is not supported and Java should be removed.
It works in Firefox, but in Internet Explorer 8 even this doesn't seem to work, I'm just getting a progress indicator followed by a black white page!
:(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, dencorso said:

Adobe Flash Player 32.0.0.465 (possibly the last one...) is out!

Yeah, probably the last one before the inevitable death...

It's been a long run... It will forever be remembered... :(

So, as a recap: OS updates are over, Silverlight is over, Flash is now over and Java is living on borrowed time with unofficial version made with a Frankenstein approach that could break any moment.

At this rate, we won't have any reason to come here and comment anymore, which was one of the few things we had left in terms of updates... :( 

Well, there's the Frankenstein method... don't you remember we have discussed it some time ago?  I was able to reach u262 using it, actually, although I'm still on it and didn't try the later versions for lack of need (and time).

On 7/17/2020 at 11:23 AM, loblo said:

Azul OpenJDK I guess but U262 builds aren't online yet. Hopefully I can run it as good as U252 and can use Opera 12 with TLS 1.3 on Win ME via Burp.

https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu-community/?version=java-8-lts&os=windows&architecture=x86-32-bit&package=jre

On 7/23/2020 at 6:13 PM, dencorso said:

:cheerleader: Hey, @loblo! For the record: you do rock! :cheerleader:

I installed it by hand from the .zip on XP SP3, while keeping the files from JRE 1.8.0_251 that do not exist in the Azul release, including those older ones listed some posts above (and replacing sunmscapi.dll by the one from JRE 1.8.0_241). The result is the one shown below:

Clipboard01.gif

Clipboard02.gif

Ah yes, I do remember that now!
I seem to remember thinking that it wasn't actually worth the trouble as 261 only needed one file substituted with an earlier version, but going up one more version needed much more work.
Since then, and I hadn't made the connection, I've actually been using the Azul Zulu version of Java 8 Update 262 on Windows 98SE, to run a Burp proxy server!
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

• 4 weeks later...

Today, the official Adobe Flash Player "version check" page no longer shows up; it was still working yesterday, Jan 1st, 2021, successfully detecting the last release, v32.0.0.465 ...

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/ 

=> 

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

OjBZpGd.jpg

... And it's the very first time :whistle: they're revealing details about the time-bomb (included in versions > 32.0.0.371) set to go off on 12/01/2021 :(