Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)

Dave-H

On 7/15/2020 at 10:31 AM, Dave-H said:

Let's hope they haven't broken anything more for XP users!
:dubbio:

As of 8u261 Oracle changed to Visual Studio 2017 and now all components of Java 8 are being built for Vista or later. I checked a few files and didn't notice any Vista-specific dependencies, so patching the headers of every file for XP may get things running (minus sunmscapi of course). They're planning to give Java 7 the same VS 2017 treatment in October.

8u261 just added TLS 1.3 support so that's not very helpful if it can't be made to work. Fortunately at least one third-party option exists for that.

21 hours ago, buckchow said:

8u261 just added TLS 1.3 support so that's not very helpful if it can't be made to work. Fortunately at least one third-party option exists for that.

Namely?

BTW... Flash Player 32.0.0.403 is out! :hello:

10 hours ago, dencorso said:

Namely?

Azul OpenJDK I guess but U262 builds aren't online yet. Hopefully I can run it as good as U252 and can use Opera 12 with TLS 1.3 on Win ME via Burp.

1 hour ago, loblo said:

Azul OpenJDK I guess but U262 builds aren't online yet. Hopefully I can run it as good as U252

When I navigate to

https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu-community/?version=java-8-lts&os=windows&architecture=x86-32-bit&package=jre

(filters selected were

Java Version: Java 8 (LTS)
Operating System: Windows
Architecture: x86 32-bit
Java Package: JRE),

I am informed that the minimum system requirements are Windows (Server) 2008R2; are you implying one can install and successfully use that package (zulu8.46.0.19-ca-jre8.0.252-win_i686.msi) in XP/Vista 32-bit?

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

When I navigate to

https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu-community/?version=java-8-lts&os=windows&architecture=x86-32-bit&package=jre

(filters selected were

Java Version: Java 8 (LTS)
Operating System: Windows
Architecture: x86 32-bit
Java Package: JRE),

I am informed that the minimum system requirements are Windows (Server) 2008R2; are you implying one can install and successfully use that package (zulu8.46.0.19-ca-jre8.0.252-win_i686.msi) in XP/Vista 32-bit?

I'm able to use it on Windows Me + KernelEx and KernelEx extensions but I had to downgrade sunmscapi.dll to an older version that doesn't have an ncrypt.dll dependency.

I also didn't install it but unpacked the zip and then did run jar files with it (java (or javaw) -jar whatever.jar). I've tested it running Pixelitor and Burp Suite as an HTTPS proxy for Opera for an entire session without a problem.

I imagine that if I can run it on Me there must be ways to run it on XP too even if it doesn't out of the box.

Edited by loblo

Azul OpenJDKU262 is now available. It supports TLS 1.3 and there is no changes in dependencies vs U252 which means I was able to successfully visit the TLS 1.3 test site for the first time with Opera 12 via Burp on my Windows ME machine. :)

47 minutes ago, loblo said:

Azul OpenJDKU262 is now available. It supports TLS 1.3 and there is no changes in dependencies vs U252 which means I was able to successfully visit the TLS 1.3 test site for the first time with Opera 12 via Burp on my Windows ME machine. :)

I'd be interested to know how to do this if it's possible with Opera 12 on Windows 98SE!
Sites are starting to fail now as they can't establish a secure connection.
I've looked at Burp, and I assume it's sort or equivalent to Prox HTTPS Proxy MII, but presumably it runs on ME (and hopefully 98SE)?
Off-topic for this thread of course......

11 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I'd be interested to know how to do this if it's possible with Opera 12 on Windows 98SE!
Sites are starting to fail now as they can't establish a secure connection.
I've looked at Burp, and I assume it's sort or equivalent to Prox HTTPS Proxy MII, but presumably it runs on ME (and hopefully 98SE)?
Off-topic for this thread of course......

I don't see why not on 98SE and yes Burp is a local MITM proxy, Owasp Zap can be used too for the same purpose. I'll be laying out the details tomorrow in this thread: 

Bedtime for now.

:cheerleader: Hey, @loblo! For the record: you do rock! :cheerleader:

On 7/17/2020 at 11:23 AM, loblo said:

Azul OpenJDK I guess but U262 builds aren't online yet. Hopefully I can run it as good as U252 and can use Opera 12 with TLS 1.3 on Win ME via Burp.

On 7/19/2020 at 8:13 PM, loblo said:

I installed it by hand from the .zip on XP SP3, while keeping the files from JRE 1.8.0_251 that do not exist in the Azul release, including those older ones listed some posts above (and replacing sunmscapi.dll by the one from JRE 1.8.0_241). The result is the one shown below:

Clipboard01.gif

Clipboard02.gif

Out of pure curiosity, I tried to run the installer and then I replaced the sunmscapi.dll but it didn't work, Internet Explorer and PaleMoon were both pointing to the old 1.8.251 I had installed...

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Has anyone tried the Azul MSI installer on XP?

I hope so, so they can report their experience and tell me whether it's only me and my system or not... On my XP x86, the installer does its job and the installation completes successfully. A new folder inside C:\Program Files\ is created called Zulu or something (I don't remember) and inside there's the classic Java folder structure with all the files, however, if I try to open a website to check which version gets reported, I don't get the new one, but the old one from the Java folder. If I try to replace the sunmscapi.dll to get it working and I test it again, nothing happens, it still reports the old version as it's pointing to the old Java folder. It's almost as if it only creates a folder with everything in it but it doesn't update the registry for whatever reason on XP. Perhaps the registry is different on 2008 R2? Perhaps a command is executed but ignored in XP? I don't know, I can't wrap my mind around it. The reason why I'd like the installer to work and do its thing is that this way I don't have to extract the zip and put everything inside the Java folder with a fake name, 'cause ok, so far so good, but I don't really like the idea to have C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_144 and inside there's 1.8.0_261 instead. I have been doing it for quite some time now, but I don't like it... it's against my mental health as I MUST have everything precise and ordered and I don't really sleep well if things are not the way I want them to be. xD

Edited by FranceBB

Updating the registry, even if by hand, is fundamental. The worst part of it is the path to java (=JavaHome). So, for one who isntalls from scratch, using the last working oracle installer (jre1.8.0_152), it'll normally be "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_152", unless one uses the "Change default Java folder", offered at the start of the install (or, like I did, performs an extensive search-and-replace inside the registry afterwards). After 152 is installed, replace all files by those from the 251 tat.gz by hand inside the JavaHome folder, then replace those files I listed above (most of which were identified by yourself @FranceBB) and replace also sunmscapi.dll by v. 141 Replace also the Java cpl at %windir%\system32 by another copy of the one from 251. Then, delete the sunmscapi.dll from the Azul JRE 262 and replace all files of 251 in JavaHome by those that exist in the Azul release 262 (which contains a lot less files, including *no* plugin).  Fix by hand the registry as usual and you should be able to reproduce my results. I really doubt this frankenversion can be created by any canned installer, although a custom one might do the trick.