Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)

Dave-H

8 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

The debug versions that I use seem to be still fine, they all install and work on XP just as always.

... It is my understanding that even the SHA-2 only code-signed installers (standard/debug) will install and function OK on a fully updated XP SP3/Vista SP2 system, it's just a minor irritation though that the OS+user can't verify the validity of the code signature... :(

Ah right, I thought perhaps there was a problem with them installing on XP.
There was a whole batch of Office 2010 updates from Microsoft Update late last year that weren't signed as usual, and the installations all failed.
However versions individually downloaded from the MS Catalogue were fine.
Glad these are still OK as well!
:yes:

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

Is anyone else having a problem with Java 8 Update 251?
I've done the update manually exactly as I have done many times since the installer stopped working on XP, and everything looked fine, the Java Control Panel says I'm up to date, and all its entries look fine, but the plugins are not working properly in my browsers.
Both Firefox 52.9 ESR and IE8 appear to load the plugin, but no confirmation dialogue to run it comes up as it usually does, and no Java icon appears in the system tray as it usually does.
I have a parallel installation on Windows 10 which works fine, and comparing the registry entries and files the XP installation appears to be exactly the same, but it doesn't work!
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

17 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Sorry to bump, but has nobody else come across this?
It would be good to know that the browser plugin is working for others on XP with this version!
:)

Actually I downloaded it and I was going to replace the files as usual, however after reading your post I refrained and decided to keep the old one for a little bit longer. I can replace them and try on my computer as well if nobody else wants...

OK, thanks!
There must be others already using this new version I would have thought?

Where it seems to be failing, and it's failing on Firefox 59.2 ESR and IE8, which use completely different mechanisms of course, is at the point at which the "do you want to run this" window normally appears. It seems to be loading, in that there is a box where the output should be, but it never goes any further.
The fact that is failing in exactly the same way on a plugin-based browser and on an ActiveX-based browser would seem to indicate that it's something further downstream of the actual plugin which is failing.

• 2 weeks later...

I really would still like to know if anyone has this version of Java working properly on XP!
I can't see that anything has become XP incompatible, but I still can't get it working.
At least if someone can tell me that they do have it working, I'll know that it is a problem just on my system and not a general problem.

Anyone??

Seemingly, I can confirm the issues using the java 8u251...
approximately the same thing in FF browsers.

It's working locally, though, I was running NOAA WCT which uses java and it is operating properly.

image.thumb.png.53878741af1937157a53517c0f4d5af2.png

That is the url I use.
I'm seeing this on Firefox 52.9 ESR, and exactly the same thing on IE8.

JavaFirefox.jpg.5b5f08ce045b8adb26f0f7133b8cb273.jpg

In both cases the NPAPI/ActiveX plugin appears to load, but at the point at which it should prompt you to allow the applet to run, nothing further happens.

The other link doesn't seem to work for me, either. I just recently reinstalled XP on a different computer, so on that one I will try since it is a relatively "clean" slate.

Thanks, please let us know how it goes.

@dencorso
Don't you usually update Java to the latest version on your system when it's released?
Have you done this update, and is it working for you?

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

@dencorso Don't you usually update Java to the latest version on your system when it's released?
Have you done this update, and is it working for you?

Yes. And I was about to do it when I read your original post about the issue. Now, ATM, even with the covid-19 crisis, we here are in the period of reporting our income, in the hopes of getting some return on the already collected income tax, and the software provided by the governament uses java. So I've decided to postpone updating until I have that done with, because my routine became much more hectic due to the covid-19 crisis. So, I regret to say, this once I'll probably be the last to chime in and it fell to you to be the 1st one to take the plunge! :angel Sorry!

23 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Yes. And I was about to do it when I read your original post about the issue. Now, ATM, even with the covid-19 crisis, we here are in the period of reporting our income, in the hopes of getting some return on the already collected income tax, and the software provided by the governament uses java. So I've decided to postpone updating until I have that done with, because my routine became much more hectic due to the covid-19 crisis. So, I regret to say, this once I'll probably be the last to chime in and it fell to you to be the 1st one to take the plunge! :angel Sorry!

Ah thanks Den, understood!
Maybe I'm the only one here who's actually done this update then!

Of course, very stupidly, I got rid of the files for the previous version without having checked first that this one was working, and overwrote the backup too, so if I have to roll back I might be coming begging. It had always been fine before so I had no reason to think that it wouldn't be OK this time (famous last words of course!)

I hope things are OK with you and yours in Brazil.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Quote added as reply appeared on a new page