My Browser Builds (Part 3)

6 hours ago, DanR20 said:

The bad news is it could be the end of basilisk.

I was never really a fan of Basilisk.  Everything on the web I've ever needed would always work in NM27 / NM28 / BNav.  Well, until recent year or so and I've needed Chromium-based.  What am I missing that's supposed to be so special about Basilisk?

7 hours ago, DanR20 said:

Classic Theme Restorer

AFAIK, this explicitly targets Australis interface.

The whole dual GUID extension target thingy never seemed much of an (dis)advantage to me, some extensions simply need some work put into them if they are to work properly with these browsers.

Apparently my usage of the browser never made me encounter any serious FUEL extension, except one fun one (Destroy The Web), which used it merely to manage its preferences, that logic was easy to rewrite to drop dependency on FUEL.

5 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I was never really a fan of Basilisk.  Everything on the web I've ever needed would always work in NM27 / NM28 / BNav.  Well, until recent year or so and I've needed Chromium-based.  What am I missing that's supposed to be so special about Basilisk?

Its more like roytam's basilisk version. He kept a lot of the features in that they removed and so it remains useful. I've tried Pale Moon but it's missing features like the drop down search that I prefer.

@UCyborg

AFAIK, this explicitly targets Australis interface.

True but it has other non-Australis features in it like the ability to make css changes on the fly without the need to re-boot. It's possible there's substitutes I can search around for.

4 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

@DanR20
Admittedly, I've never touched CTR's CSS stuff, but I know for certain Stylem can be used to write CSS styles for browser interface, not just websites. They're applied when you either save it or use button for live preview.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that.

8 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

For the most part, it's more suitable for those that use extensions that play better with Australis interface.

Edited by UCyborg

On 12/18/2021 at 12:39 PM, UCyborg said:

Apparently my usage of the browser never made me encounter any serious FUEL extension

By the way, did you look at this:  http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml   

Implementation notes:

Despite being removed in 29.4.0 and 29.4.2, the long-since deprecated FUEL abstraction functions inside Pale Moon have been restored again after considerable blowback from the community and lack of effort to fix afflicted extensions.

Translation, when MN and Tb. join they forces and direct them on the Pale Moon community it paid-off A LOT. In a way that PM become project from which people running away. I mean how you can turn respected browser in sinking ship so fast? They declared war on XP community, MAC-OS community, MSFN community, ban Just-Off, etc. I mean ... that's ridiculous.

NOW, when project almost become abandon-ware they get a little bit scared and step one time back. It will not help anyway, because they to forgone.

They also quote "may be retiring Basilisk and stop development on it altogether". MN in his usual style. Bravo.

It reminded me "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema" where ( as i heard) project leader become behaving like lunatic, so almost all team abandoned it and started fork MPC - Black Edition.

Hey Moonchild, wanna know how you should act to get part of users back? Apologize to authors of forks for XP and Mac-OS. Apologize to Just-Off. Make peace with MSFN community. Bring back compatibility for XP and Vista. Un-ban people who u banned for supporting this forks. Make working Google WebComponent support instead of raging on members of PM community that disagree with you. And isolate Tobin from decision making power in PM project.

But, lets be honest we all know that he will not do that.

Wanna know why he bring back FUEL?   In my opinion cause they got scared - so many people left the project and forum, that they almost have nobody now. PM at this point is almost a dead man walking. So they thinking to kill Basilisk in a hope to save PM.:buehehe:

So let's wish health, inspiration and long life to roytam1 - man who make browser which people want  - the way it should be with healthy projects.

Edited by Rod Steel

3 minutes ago, Rod Steel said:

Translation, when MN and Tb. join they forces and direct them (in pure autistic rage) on the Pale Moon community it paid-off A LOT. In a way that PM become project from which people running away. I mean how you can turn respected browser in sinking ship so fast? They declared war on XP community, MAC-OS community, MSFN community, ban Just-Off, etc. I mean ... that's ridiculous.

hey, you didn't even mention killing Mypal and Male Poon with DMCA claims!