My Browser Builds (Part 3)

43 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

you'll need palefill or github-wc-polyfill extension installed in order to view in UXP browsers properly.

OK thx! I read about palefill/polyfill many times here but never was in need of one of these two, because everything I really need works fine.

22 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

My mentioned Pentium 4 has the instruction set SSE2. AFAIK, all Pentium 4 have a SSE2 instruction set at least. @Reino didn't provide any hardware details. I didn't want to make assumptions. But, you are absolutely right. If @Reino's CPU is a SSE only one, I can understand why VLC 3 doesn't work, and unfortunately, a lot of other software either.

As I wrote some posts above... Not "AFAIK", it is a fact that the Intel P4 architecture with it's first incarnation "Willamette" introduced the SSE2 instruction set back then! :-)

kind regards
soggi

30 minutes ago, soggi said:

Not "AFAIK", it is a fact that the Intel P4 architecture with it's first incarnation "Willamette" introduced the SSE2 instruction set back then! :-)

When I write about something I haven't research before, but in the past, it is and must be AFAIK. Otherwise, I would state facts I didn't know or remember exactly, and, spoken for me only, I don't do that generally! :-) :no: But good to know that my recall is correct, and works as it should be although I am not really the freshest one, referring to my age, LOL! total-lol.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper ordi1fun.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

12 hours ago, Reino said:

This is probably a bit off-topic, but... assuming we're all still using WinXP on old hardware, how do you even manage to run the VLC gui? VLC 2.2.8 is for me the latest release that starts the gui upon double-clicking 'vlc.exe'. Whenever I double-click on 'vlc.exe' of any newer version, including the latest v3.0.17.4, it just starts the cli and I have no idea how to start the gui instead.
Normally I never use VLC, because MPC-HC is my main mediaplayer, but I was just curious.

Modern programs today require a set of instructions that
More newer like Flash Player, even you may need an older version.
.net framework aio of abbodi1406
I think version 20180711 is compatible with CPU without SSE2.

If you want to use a newer version, a newer CPU may be upgraded.

Edited by tpao12

@tpao12, another working, alternative extension to open videos in VLC is Video Assistant 1.0.4. I use this extension in Serpent 52, but it will work in other roytam1's browsers either, and it's fine. It can be enabled or disabled by a toogle button and opens a video from different sources, which can be set in its options, in VLC automatically. You will find it in the Classic Add-ons Archive.

Cheers, AstroSkipper ecrire-ordi.gif

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@Reino's old CPU (up to SSE instructions set, only?) is probably incompatible with the VLC 3.x.x branch; see reported issue(s):
[...]
The VLC frontend (GUI) is built with the Qt Framework and somewhere in there lies the incompatibility with older CPUs... :(

@Reino: To load those GitLab links, you have to install the latest palefill extension onto your NM28-SSE build... :whistle:

I'm still using an AMD Athlon XP 3200+, the fastest cpu for Socket A. It supports MMX, 3DNow! and SSE instruction-set, so no SSE-2.
I've read about Qt Framework before, being incompatible with my cpu, so that must be the reason why VLC's gui won't load here.

About 1½ year ago I finally wanted to buy a new pc, with for instance an AMD Ryzen 5600X and an AMD Radeon 6800, but because of the absurd videocard prices I've decised to postpone this yet again. Now I'm waiting for ZEN4 and RDNA3. I don't actually need a very powerful GPU (I don't have a 4K monitor for instance), so if AMD decides to release a Ryzen 7600G / 7800G next year (ZEN4 cpu with integrated RDNA3 graphics), then I'll be the first to buy one.

I know. I'm using github-wc-polyfill 1.2.19. I actually waiting for roytam's "unofficial" v1.2.19.1 to be integrated.

5 hours ago, soggi said:

Maybe I should add VLC 2.2.8 for non-SSE2 CPUs running WinXP!?

At least for me it's the latest working version.

5 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Thanks, but immediate crash:

The exception Illegal Instruction
An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction.
(0xc000001d) occurred in the application at location 0x0040147e.

No problem though, because for Youtube for instance I'm using my own hobby-project Xivid:

FOR /F "delims=" %A IN ('xidel -s --module=xivid.xqm -e "xivid:youtube('https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<id>')/(formats)()[starts-with(id,'pg')][last()]/url"') DO @"C:\Program Files\Media\MPC-HC.1.7.11.24.x86\mpc-hc.exe" %A /close

Unlike yt-dlp it doesn't support age-gated video's, but for "normal" videos it works very good for me, especially because with MPC-HC the gpu can be used to decode the (max 1080p) videostream.

1 hour ago, Reino said:

Thanks, but immediate crash:

The exception Illegal Instruction
An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction.
(0xc000001d) occurred in the application at location 0x0040147e.

Could be non-SSE2 cpu?

When searching this error on Google, I saw your name come up twice. ;)

Haha, funny. :lol:
And yes, of course. I've also seen that with ffmpeg. Immediate crash the moment a binary is compiled specifically for CPUs with SSE2 instruction-set and up.
Btw, nice to see my WinXP ffmpeg binaries are still useful for some folks. ;)

2 hours ago, Reino said:

Unlike yt-dlp it doesn't support age-gated video's,

Youtube-dl will soon also have a fix for that (borrowed from yt-dlp).

You'll have to build from source, because there are no releases any more since 2021.12.17...

pyinstaller.exe youtube_dl\__main__.py --onefile --name youtube-dl

Edited by nicolaasjan

1 hour ago, Reino said:

Haha, funny. :lol:
And yes, of course. I've also seen that with ffmpeg. Immediate crash the moment a binary is compiled specifically for CPUs with SSE2 instruction-set and up.
Btw, nice to see my WinXP ffmpeg binaries are still useful for some folks. ;)

Thank you very much for your work on all of your great ffmpeg builds--and thank you for keeping all of them archived, going back several years! From the oldest available to the newest, they run with no problems on my Pentium D...it's amazing to be able to play so many different formats, and the CPU/RAM usage is kept extremely modest because you did such a great job with the optimization.
I don't stop by often, but when I do I always like to show appreciation...you've done some fantastic work, and I appreciate it very much!

9 hours ago, soggi said:

BTW3 I really appreciate VLC media player for having a simple GUI, being OSS and for being very backward compatible for years. The latest versions for Windows 95/98/98SE/ME (VLC 0.8.6i), Windows NT 4.0 (VLC 1.0.5) and Windows 2000 SP4 (VLC 1.1.11) are available for download from my website -> soggi.org - tools.
Maybe I should add VLC 2.2.8 for non-SSE2 CPUs running WinXP!?

kind regards
soggi

If I may say so, I think that's a great idea!
Personally, I've been sticking with VLC 1.1.11 for years...for me, 1.1.x was when VLC truly hit its peak, but newer versions I've tested also seem to work quite well.
After more than a decade, this old version still gets the job done, and can play a lot of formats with very little toll on the CPU (I believe experimental GPU acceleration was introduced with the 1.1.x series, which really helps if your GPU supports H/X.264 decoding).

Also, I agree with everything you said about VLC...for me, it's still the 'heavyweight champ' of media players, and even the newest 3.0.x still knocks a lot of other programs out of the ring. I appreciate that the devs haven't changed the program too much over the years! They've added a lot of support for modern formats and other cool features, while keeping the same great interface we all know & love.

2 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

I link to them whenever I get the chance. ;)

Keep up the good work!

Well here is your chance.  What is the link to the FFMPEG builds for Windows XP or where can they be found?

2 hours ago, cmccaff1 said:

[...] and the CPU/RAM usage is kept extremely modest because you did such a great job with the optimization.
[...] you've done some fantastic work, and I appreciate it very much!

Actually I didn't. In fact, I'm not a C/C++ coder, not even a coder by profession at all. In the process I just learned how to compile an FFmpeg binary for my old pc. So I guess that's all thanks to the optimized FFmpeg code itself, and maybe a little to the GCC compiler that I used.
Every single time I try to compile new binaries is a challenge though, because it is getting harder and harder to add back WinXP compatibility. One thing is for sure; without Gianluigi Tiesi's patches I couldn't have done this anymore! He - obviously a professional coder - also releases WinXP compatible FFmpeg binaries, but his binaries aren't compatible with my old CPU.

You're welcome nonetheless, of course.

18 minutes ago, Ascii2 said:

Well here is your chance.  What is the link to the FFMPEG builds for Windows XP or where can they be found?

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=181802

Edited by Reino