[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

I might try some day the RTM as someone suggested, but I have several questions. Firstly, will Vista RTM recognice my sound card and my USB devices? These devices work well with Vista SP2 (a custom iso), and audio is very important for me. Secondly, what about Net Framework 4.6 after the installation? I don't want to break nothing, and the custom iso I used had .net framework 4.6 integrated. Newer .net versions break Windows Update and some old .net 4 applications, so installing .net framework 4.7 or newer is not a solution.

1 hour ago, Scarf32 said:

Is it that much of an improvement? Because losing 3 hours installing every single update for me it's not worth it

For me yes, it literally builds all the stability and the future of our Windows installation. If you are someone who reinstalls often, I advise you to make clones. Windows Vista RTM is a stable bone, you just have to know that some services crash but you can restart them to fix them. For example the control panel can either not open or be empty, it is these services that must be restarted: net stop EMDMgmt net stop slsvc net start EMDMgmt net start slsvc If we master Windows Vista RTM well after it becomes our friend and if we correctly sort all the updates to install, it becomes as clean as an arch linux.

8 hours ago, Scarf32 said:

Ok thanks

make sure you calculate the sha-1 hash of any iso and search it on the internet. it's a way to tell if you got something genuine or not 
https://www.heidoc.net/php/myvsdump.php
https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha1_checksum.html

12 minutes ago, LiptonAcer said:

Windows Vista RTM is a stable bone

but you literally say basic services crash? it's your personal preference but it's not necessary at all
vista sp2 isos are just vista rtm + sp2 on top so why bother doing it manually when you have a legit shortcut

Edited by winvispixp

40 minutes ago, LiptonAcer said:

For me yes, it literally builds all the stability and the future of our Windows installation. If you are someone who reinstalls often, I advise you to make clones. Windows Vista RTM is a stable bone, you just have to know that some services crash but you can restart them to fix them. For example the control panel can either not open or be empty, it is these services that must be restarted: net stop EMDMgmt net stop slsvc net start EMDMgmt net start slsvc If we master Windows Vista RTM well after it becomes our friend and if we correctly sort all the updates to install, it becomes as clean as an arch linux.

Oh ok thanks for the advice

11 hours ago, LiptonAcer said:

But, noone answered me. Will even Vista RTM (fresh installation) recognice properly my audio card and my USB stuff (of course USB 2.0)? Will there run any XP SP2 software? My audio card (Realtec) and USB stuff work properly on a freshly installed Vista (custom iso) with SP2.

Edited by Sergiaws
Explained some things.

55 minutes ago, Sergiaws said:

But, noone answered me. Will even Vista RTM (fresh installation) recognice properly my audio card and my USB stuff (of course USB 2.0)? Will there run any XP SP2 software? My audio card (Realtec) and USB stuff work properly on a freshly installed Vista (custom iso) with SP2.

This makes very little difference, because I'm almost sure that to install all the useful updates (like platform updates) and those for the extended kernel you need to install sp1 and sp2 first and even if you don't, all your system files will get updated and won't be anything like those RTM ones.

So it doesn't really matter what iso you choose to install Vista as long as it is not broken and preferably original.

56 minutes ago, Sergiaws said:

my USB stuff (of course USB 2.0)?

If it works on fresh XP and Vista sp2 then it should also work on Vista RTM :)

57 minutes ago, Sergiaws said:

my audio card

I think native hd audio support had already been introduced by the time RTM was released, but you probably don't need this sound card before updating your Windows anyway

Edited by TSNH

14 hours ago, Cocodile said:

I use a legit non-modified Vista x64 SP2, then install everything according to win32's instructions, no need to get as low as RTM! I never used a third party installer, can't say anything about it!

Look at that! The funniest person in the world my friends! As i'm seeing blaming for a thing that isn't even it is really funny these days

Edited by Scarf32

3 hours ago, Scarf32 said:

Look at that! The funniest person in the world my friends! As i'm seeing blaming for a thing that isn't even it is really funny these days

It's not a bickering fest, wake up. 

5 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

But, noone answered me. Will even Vista RTM

Because it's not related to this topic. What are you all talking about for the last two pages, at least, it's just spam and has zero relation to this topic.

17 hours ago, winvispixp said:

but you literally say basic services crash? it's your personal preference but it's not necessary at all
vista sp2 isos are just vista rtm + sp2 on top so why bother doing it manually when you have a legit shortcut

Absolutely true!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, win32 said:

To prevent user confusion, I strongly recommend disregarding the tutorials and contacting me directly instead about the extended kernel. The original post was removed as it was continuing to confuse users. There will be further discussion about the evolution of the extended kernel in the coming pages.

i am looking for a extended kernel tutorial as i would like to make ones myself for 7 and 8.1 is there anywhere that i could find it

Hi@win32, for the first time a small issue with the kernel, short story, I had to install an update KB4499184, to be able to run a game, now open/save dialog doesn't work in most apps, chrome for example. 

This is with all kernels, but currently I'm on v06102022. I also have the platform and DX11 update, that's all. Thanks for looking into this.

Now I noticed "Ask where to save each file before downloading" doesn't work anymore. Apps like the German MKVToolNix 74.0.0 work fine though. It's mostly a browser and book readers based on chrome issue.

58 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Hi@win32, for the first time a small issue with the kernel, short story, I had to install an update KB4499184, to be able to run a game, now open/save dialog doesn't work in most apps, chrome for example. 

This is with all kernels, but currently I'm on v06102022. I also have the platform and DX11 update, that's all. Thanks for looking into this.

Does it affect both 32-bit and 64-bit programs, or only affects either 32-bit or 64-bit? Have you also tried the March 2023 builds after installing KB4499184 update?