Aero Glass for Win10 Version 2004 Build 19041

tron03

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but a long time user of Glass8. I've been using it since I upgraded from W7 to W10. Personally I think that Microsoft reached perfection of Windows visuals, with Windows Vista so I try to replicate as much as I can the visuals of Windows Vista in Windows 10. Glass8 was a fundamental part of bringing Vista aesthetic in to W10 which is plain awful by default. I'm pretty sad that Glass8 can't get compatibility with newer versions of W10.

In my desperation I tried WindowBlinds with a Vista skin, and uninstalled it after like 10 minutes. It feels so buggy and so "non-native". The blur effect is terrible, it is incompatible with Firefox, incompatible with OldNewExplorer (I get a visual artifact on windows explorer), it doesn't work with startisback. At this point there is absolutely no replace for Glass8

Honestly love StartisBack++, brings back alot of key elements back from Windows 7, JumpList, classic clock, etc... 

For me the only thing that would be 100% perfect is adding the reflection texture back in the taskbar, maybe I'm just dumb lol and there is a way to get that back

For changing the Taskbar to look more like Windows 7, I'd recommend Open Shell.

That, and texturing your Taskbar with this:

34982464_Win7TaskbarReflectionforopacity40qty.png.e1c9e5625e8734768b5a94be837d478b.png

image.thumb.png.872f88cb03dd28f7b4504207f9b75705.png

(Windows plz just let us use Aero assets without having to resort to all of this)

Edited by radzo73

Do you know if is there a way to get glass reflections on windows explorer without Glass8???? I mean real glass effect, the one that "stays" if you drag the window, no the one that is static and moves along the window when you drag it, that one is part of the theme, but Glass8 reflections seems to be loaded "over" the theme. I used to load a png file for my vista reflections on Glass8 and worked like a charm

As mentioned in this post:

There's a way to get some glass to 2004 by using an AutoIt script that works kind of like BlackGlassEnhanced (to blur dark backgrounds).

EOXbVYL.png

In this case the the script doesn't use the hooked dwmglass by BM but the native Win10 Aero glass via WinAPI which you can see on the start menu & taskbar.

6A5Vna1.png

4Rc5rE6.png

But as you can see as well, it's quite buggy and has these ugly blurry borders around the windows.

On 1909 these borders didn't exist and btw. when using any third party theme, blurring the background doesn't work anymore for some reason.

Added the AutoIt script as attachment to this post for those who want to try it.

Exclude "enableblurbehind($lparam)" by adding a semicolon in front or by deleting that line if you want pure aero glass like in the 1st cmd screenshot

(instead of that grey-ish glass look like in the 2nd screenshot). The Aero effect doesn't work on window frames.

Greetings

Transparent Tool Mod.au3

12 hours ago, radzo73 said:

For changing the Taskbar to look more like Windows 7, I'd recommend Open Shell.

That, and texturing your Taskbar with this:

34982464_Win7TaskbarReflectionforopacity40qty.png.e1c9e5625e8734768b5a94be837d478b.png

image.thumb.png.872f88cb03dd28f7b4504207f9b75705.png

(Windows plz just let us use Aero assets without having to resort to all of this)

I use this a well, however I have removed the line from the blur image as I prefer it that way.

Win7 Taskbar Reflection for opacity 40 qty .png

11 hours ago, This field is required said:

As mentioned in this post:

(instead of that grey-ish glass look like in the 2nd screenshot). The Aero effect doesn't work on window frames.

Greetings

Transparent Tool Mod.au3 6.61 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks for sharing, though personally I look for aero glass in window frames / taskbar / start menu only as it was by default in Vista/7

Edited by tyranus7

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record, this is quite a nice theme for Windows 10 that makes it look similar to Aero Glass, but with Glass8 it would even look better:

https://www.deviantart.com/sagorpirbd/art/Soft-Glass-10-for-Win10-Final-587616610 ( it's not fully compatible with 2004 but it works )

The wait for Aero Glass Upadte is still long ... in the meantime ...

14 hours ago, Lizard said:

Just for the record, this is quite a nice theme for Windows 10 that makes it look similar to Aero Glass, but with Glass8 it would even look better:

https://www.deviantart.com/sagorpirbd/art/Soft-Glass-10-for-Win10-Final-587616610 ( it's not fully compatible with 2004 but it works )

The wait for Aero Glass Upadte is still long ... in the meantime ...

Looks a lot like W7, which is cool. This is my current theme:

theme.jpg

Only missing Glass8 to add transparency w/ blur and live reflections from Vista.

On 9/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, tyranus7 said:

Do you know if is there a way to get glass reflections on windows explorer without Glass8???? I mean real glass effect, the one that "stays" if you drag the window, no the one that is static and moves along the window when you drag it, that one is part of the theme, but Glass8 reflections seems to be loaded "over" the theme. I used to load a png file for my vista reflections on Glass8 and worked like a charm

I'm using Curtains to apply transparency with blur (Acrylic, standard, or basic) to File Explorer windows.  (If I'm reading your question correctly)  Minimal system resource usage, active right now with only 1.1MB of mem in use.  Only thing missing is title bar transparency (It can be done with Curtains too, however, I haven't created an acrylic layer with gaussian blur to be applied to it yet.)  You can apply transparency by way of a transparent .png from the start, I just haven't had the time to create one with blur added.

blur.jpg

Edited by dna-systems

On 9/28/2020 at 6:11 AM, tyranus7 said:

Looks a lot like W7, which is cool. This is my current theme:

theme.jpg

Only missing Glass8 to add transparency w/ blur and live reflections from Vista.

I still find Vista as the apogee of Windows design-wise. 

23 hours ago, dna-systems said:

I'm using Curtains to apply transparency with blur (Acrylic, standard, or basic) to File Explorer windows.  (If I'm reading your question correctly)  Minimal system resource usage, active right now with only 1.1MB of mem in use.  Only thing missing is title bar transparency (It can be done with Curtains too, however, I haven't created an acrylic layer with gaussian blur to be applied to it yet.)  You can apply transparency by way of a transparent .png from the start, I just haven't had the time to create one with blur added.

blur.jpg

Does Curtains play along with custom .msstyles themes?

Ive been using Curtains as well. I modified one of the images for one of the built-in themes to have transparency with some blur in order to make it look close to Aero. Its not perfect, but I like it a lot and it applies to most windows that I have open except those that have built-in custom themes like Windows Terminal. Curtains is the closest thing to having Aero transparency that Ive been able to find and even that took some photoshopping to achieve as it doesn't do transparent titlebars natively unless the theme supports it.