My Browser Builds (Part 1)

23 hours ago, Flame. said:

@roytam1 Do you feel confident enough to move portability to the main executable instead of a launcher?

Basically, you need to check any of following conditions on start to set profile to current directory:

1. File name of executable ends with "-portable" (or something like this)
  2. There is a file "palemoon.ini" (or something like this) in the same directory as executable, with relative profile path. Or just an empty file.

Each one has its strong sides in different situations.

Now, the main reason for doing this is - while all simple (non-virtualizing) launchers work relatively fine in common case like "start-use-exit", they do not provide any reliable means for keeping the run arguments (keys, switches) between restarts, which can potentially lead to many problems, but the most important one in this context would be the loss of initial profile path, provided by "-profile" argument.

Most commonly encountered cases:

• A simple restart after installing/updating addons or changing important settings.
  • A crash, with potential subsequent (auto)restart by crash dumper.
  • An external call by another program, which can result (or not) in a mess with another running instance.

What do you think of this?

I think it is better having portable loader separated from main executable for reducing differences between palemoon git HEAD and my build.

Edited by roytam1

11 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

Such UI is default UI in new Firefox in Win10.

I'd rather prefer Classical UI.

Keep classic UI is something that I also love.  But I am saying something new looking a amazing theme.

I, too prefer the classic UI. Everything nowadays looks like Chrome, and I don't particularly like Chrome's UI.

Firefox up to 57 is OK too, with Classic Theme Restorer, but I really liked the UI in Firefox 28 and below (which Pale Moon, and by extension, New Moon, inherited, by virtue of having been forked from that version).

c

47 minutes ago, Dibya said:

I wish someone will maintain SeaMonkey for XP once support ends.

@roytam1 how can I apply your CPP patches to palemoon source? Can I use latest stable branch rather github one?

I just want to play around.

You can always use `git apply my-patch.diff`to apply my patches. Git may complain there is trailing spaces in the patch file but the patch will be applied anyway.

If you're applying my patch without git environment, use GNU patch utility then:

patch -p1 -i my-patch.diff

Edited by roytam1

On 10/21/2017 at 7:18 AM, Dibya said:

What about having truly new UI than Pale moon ? like this http://www.runningcheese.com/firefox-v8 

See I'm with you on that one.  I actually REALLY like Photon.  But the icons are different than you show.  That looks more like Vivaldi.

I used some userChrome.css code to place the tab bar underneath the address bar.  I was running Nightly 58 that way until a few days ago.  I really like it.

:)

54 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

https://o.rthost.cf/palemoon/sources_patches_20171004.7z

Some changes from Feodor2 are not integrated, maybe I should update the source patch archive after $dayjob.

Okay. Thanks. Check out github . Feoder2 opened a new directory in github. He is forking palemoon their. He removed b2g.

1 hour ago, JodyT said:

See I'm with you on that one.  I actually REALLY like Photon.  But the icons are different than you show.  That looks more like Vivaldi.

I used some userChrome.css code to place the tab bar underneath the address bar.  I was running Nightly 58 that way until a few days ago.  I really like it.

:)

Yeah

6 hours ago, Dibya said:

Feoder2 opened a new directory in github.

Feodor2. Try to always re-read the names you type, Dibya... at least the names. Misspelling names is insulting (I know you don't mean any insult), so do your best to avoid it. Take this as nothing more than friendly advice. :)

48 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

Oh, oh! There was the error devil at work! :D

Or maybe it was the error angel (diverting all Dibya's typos from his code to board posts and particularly other people's names) ;)

jaclaz

14 hours ago, roytam1 said:

https://o.rthost.cf/palemoon/sources_patches_20171004.7z

Some changes from Feodor2 are not integrated, maybe I should update the source patch archive after $dayjob.

Roytam1 do you know how to get PaleMoon to use the hidden XP memory above 3.2GB?

Something like a 4GB or 8GB memory fluid memory hog browser would be nice.

Firefox constantly bombs out round 1.5GB->2.5GB where it freezes/lags to the point you have to end it.

Dibya any way you can help make Palemoon use 4GB-> 8GB of memory on a normal XP 32-bit OS?

This is something that we need done from the start if this is going to be XP's only independent browser after everyone else drops support.

42 minutes ago, 98SE said:

how to get PaleMoon to use the hidden XP memory above 3.2GB?

It is already compiled with 3GB-aware flag (kudos for that), so besides setting it in XP, nothing else could be done realistically, except for switching to 64 bits. Firefox also can use it, btw.

Oh, and ofc you can use some RAM-disk that is smart enough to use memory above XP limit, and set browser cache, temp and swap there. :)