Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

18 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Beyond the very subtle (but noticeable) FUD, I feel your pain. You'd be better served in a non-xp forum, or paying for advice you can trust, for an OS that you actually use. 

Better yet, get a PhD, and come lecture here, for free.

I literally wrote: I have doubts, no need to activate your other senses, I, of course, could simply forget, and I have no shame in it, I don't use XP daily, but what does it have to do with "pain" and "fear", unless imagining me in trouble makes you feel better. If so, please go on, however, interesting would be to know what you think about the on-topic subject, as a long time WinXP diehard. Did you have that function already, or you applied the registry hack that brings it to windows XP SP3?

As for your worries about my personal life, I'd better be served in a nice restaurant near my house, with a nice Dutch dish, instead of your word salad, so please, stick to technical information only

Edited by Dixel
your next insulting post goes directly to supervisor

To the excellent 3rd party apps mentioned before I would add cmexted by reverver.inc (no link, sorry), where you can call prompt, and many apps from a custom folder(s) in the context menu. I reported it back in this same thread in 2017 or so.  The app hasn't changed.

PS1: In xp I do not use the console unnecesarily, and have found ways to restrict it, so using it is a bit convoluted. I prefer to use fit-to-purpose apps instead.  

PS2: I apologice if saying "I feel your pain" made you feel insulted. I didn't imagine you at all, really, it ws just a very common figure of speech. I will put sticker on my monitor to remind me not to ever say it (to you) again, given your sensibility.  

PS3: There was no insult in my comment. To clarify I simply meant (in case you need translation) that your effort to discredit the technical advice given by two great member of this forum did not go unnoticed, nor is it welcomed. Particularly when backed by "a PhD said it, I read... have you got a PhD?". Particularly when asking for an MVP certification in an XP forum... Do you dig the joke? 

5 hours ago, dmiranda said:

To the excellent 3rd party apps mentioned before I would add cmexted by reverver.inc (no link, sorry), where you can call prompt, and many apps from a custom folder(s) in the context menu. I reported it back in this same thread in 2017 or so.  The app hasn't changed.

PS1: In xp I do not use the console unnecesarily, and have found ways to restrict it, so using it is a bit convoluted. I prefer to use fit-to-purpose apps instead.  

PS2: I apologice if saying "I feel your pain" made you feel insulted. I didn't imagine you at all, really, it ws just a very common figure of speech. I will put sticker on my monitor to remind me not to ever say it (to you) again, given your sensibility.  

PS3: There was no insult in my comment. To clarify I simply meant (in case you need translation) that your effort to discredit the technical advice given by two great member of this forum did not go unnoticed, nor is it welcomed. Particularly when backed by "a PhD said it, I read... have you got a PhD?". Particularly when asking for an MVP certification in an XP forum... Do you dig the joke? 

I use console extensively, hence the on-topic question I asked, I don't want to read A4 size spammy sheets written in poor English, you want to bring fights over and over again, I'm not interested in that. I'm one of the most polite people. And since you acknowledged you use simple apps, you're just a casual user, so there was nothing to "discredit", to begin with. I'm not sorry, I took the opinion of a PhD holder over yours.

As for the other user, I assume you meant jaclaz? I know jaclaz for a long time, not only from this forum. Please stop your miserable attempts to create hostility between us. There's none! jaclaz likes when people confirm their words with hard proof, I respect him for that. He already explained everything he meant, thank you, jaclaz! jaclaz,  I'm sorry I couldn't reply, got distracted with work.

In a wonderful country, where I live, It's absolutely fine to have a second opinion of two doctors, despite both having PhD,. there's nothing "discrediting" in that.

Or maybe you meant @AstroSkipper, who also wrote about this? @AstroSkipper,do you feel somehow "discredited" by this link?

Please tell.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-batch-change-file-extensions-in-windows/f1b4219c-f2fe-4f25-83de-55ce8e7a71f8

23 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I use console extensively, hence the on-topic question I asked, I don't want to read A4 size spammy sheets written in poor English, you want to bring fights over and over again, I'm not interested in that. I'm one of the most polite people. And since you acknowledged you use simple apps, you're just a casual user, so there was nothing to "discredit", to begin with. I'm not sorry, I took the opinion of a PhD holder over yours.

As for the other user, I assume you meant jaclaz? I know jaclaz for a long time, not only from this forum. Please stop your miserable attempts to create hostility between us. There's none! jaclaz likes when people confirm their words with hard proof, I respect him for that. He already explained everything he meant, thank you, jaclaz! jaclaz,  I'm sorry I couldn't reply, got distracted with work.

In a wonderful country, where I live, It's absolutely fine to have a second opinion of two doctors, despite both having PhD,. there's nothing "discrediting" in that.

Or maybe you meant @AstroSkipper, who also wrote about this? @AstroSkipper,do you feel somehow "discredited" by this link?

Please tell.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-batch-change-file-extensions-in-windows/f1b4219c-f2fe-4f25-83de-55ce8e7a71f8

Yeah, I am and have always introduced myself as an informed user, period. When I find someething noone else (to my knowledge) has noticed, I post in these (among other) forum(s) so people who know point me in the right direction. PhDs today are worth nothing, in my opinion, beyond the quality of the beholder. And quality recognices no academic boundaries, in my humble experience. 

PS1: I love the Netherlands. I've been there and done all that and will do it again, shortly. Food included. But in the country where I live, ranked foodwise above the fine dutch cuisine, PhDs are things that money pays. And in the streets of my country's cities (they do still exist, like they do in Amsterdam and Rotterdam, at least) they are considered relatively well paid servants of oligopolistic crooks, for the most part.

There are of course, exceptions, and among them, only a few (I dare to guess) use XP. Unless they are wise enough. Be well.      

Edited by dmiranda

28 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I use console extensively

Well, I hope you do it safely, and covering your tracks.

30 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I'm not sorry, I took the opinion of a PhD holder over yours.

Ahem, I hadn't offered any opinion. The PhD holder in your mind is talking to himself.

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Please tell.

Why should I feel discredited? Such renaming by using the console is elementary and old practice. I already did it that way in the good old DOS days. But if batch renaming other parts of files, I always use the multi-rename tool of Total Commander.

I really like this one. It's called SpaceSniffer. I think that many Windows XP users might have a small hard drive or partition. Overtime you're loosing space and you're wondering what is filling your hard drive. SpaceSniffer scans your hard drive or flash drive and lets you know which folders have most GBs used. You can delete the complete folder from there as well.

Homepage: http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/index.html

Edited by tekkaman

BeeBEEP is the free office messenger that is indispensable in all those places where privacy and security are an essential requirement. The new 5.8.6 version of BeeBEEP has been released.

Homepage: https://www.beebeep.net/
Download page: https://www.beebeep.net/download

BeeBEEP for Microsoft Windows is available in 3 versions. The installation package has the advantage of configuring the firewall automatically to allow the correct functioning of BeeBEEP.
The portable version has the advantage that you can install it wherever you want, even on a USB stick and always carry it with you.

BeeBEEP 5.8.6 - Installer for Windows 10, 8 and 7 - 32bit (.exe) 
 BeeBEEP 5.8.6 - Portable for Windows XP and 2003 server (.zip) no voice messages 

Edited by upadi

3 hours ago, tekkaman said:

I have a question. How does this work. It says it's serverless. Does that mean it's peer 2 peer ?

BeeBEEP uses different methods to find other users on the network.

Broadcast address: a broadcast address is a network address at which all devices connected to a multiple-access communications network are enabled to receive datagrams. A message sent to a broadcast address may be received by all network-attached hosts.
BeeBEEP BeeBEEP uses the broadcast addresses provided by your network interfaces and its default port 36475 to send and receive datagrams.

Multicast address: a multicast address is a logical identifier for a group of hosts in a computer network that are available to process datagrams or frames intended to be multicast for a designated network service.
BeeBEEP uses its default multicast address 239.255.64.75 and port 36475 to send and receive datagrams.
If your router is correctly configured to forward traffic to the multicast address and port 36475, BeeBEEP will also be able to find those users not present in your subnet.

Direct connection: this option is used when a user is manually added by specifying his IP address and the connection port.
It is practically the resource to use when it is not possible to act on the network parameters specified above.

Surce: https://www.beebeep.net/help

Edited by upadi

On 7/30/2023 at 12:22 AM, AstroSkipper said:

if batch renaming other parts of files, I always use the multi-rename tool of Total Commander.

Yep, I use Total Commander myself for the same reason: renaming lots of files. It's very handy and I've been using it for years and years.

On XP in particular, I also use it to transfer large files from a network storage to another 'cause it gives the speed and detailed info on how much data has been transferred. On modern Windows this is included in the transfer window, but on XP without Total Commander I would only have the simple progress bar filling up from left to right, which offers no info whatsoever.

Edited by FranceBB

48 minutes ago, Ben Markson said:

Does anyone see how to get: stunnel-win32-5.70-openssl-1.1.1u-installer.exe?

Ben.

From your link, scroll down until you see stunnel-win32-5.70-openssl-1.1.1u-installer.exe, then click on it:

Eqs-Pc-Fk5-ZY.png

Then, click on the Download button:

VVWQb7-PBSf.png

Edited by mina7601