Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

10 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... Thanks, I guess :P ; what you didn't include in your OP is the fact the app is a payware, with a "free" 30d trial ;) ...

I forgot. But I think it's worth it. It's only $19.90 . I think it's a fair price. It doesn't get updated that often to warrant a lifetime license.

best safe way to remove/ disconnect a USB drive is to go to my computer, right click, eject

the tray bar icon sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't, it's slower and get's stuck at times.

why pay for an alternative tool ? LOOOOL

2 hours ago, Milkinis said:

best safe way to remove/ disconnect a USB drive is to go to my computer, right click, eject

the tray bar icon sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't, it's slower and get's stuck at times.

Have you tried that tool? Probably not. You can always use what you want 

3 minutes ago, George King said:

You can always use what you want 

of course I won't waste a second building an XP ISO with so many dumb requirements

AOMEI backupper can image or restore a fully updated partition with a few clicks :cool:

12 hours ago, Milkinis said:

For those who don't wanna pay, try ProEject

"is a software tool whose purpose is to aid people in dismounting removable drives faster, by closing running apps and opened windows, as well as in cleaning the registry and device"

https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/ProEject.shtml

Get back with your thoughts. I also want to try. Thanks. Full XP support is claimed.

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

For those who don't wanna pay, try ProEject

thanks but no.

looking at the screncaps I see a lot of options and this is way too much just for a removable disk ejector 

I use the tool USBDLM. It is freeware, developed in Germany by Uwe Sieber, still updated and compatible with Windows XP. The latest version is USBDLM 5.5.9 from 09.07.2023. This is a quotation from the English version of the homepage to get an idea what this tool is about:

USBDLM is a Windows service that gives control over Windows' drive letter assignment for USB drives. Running as service makes it independent of the logged on user's privileges, so there is no need to give the users the privilege to change drive letters.
It automatically solves conflicts between USB drives and network or subst drives of the currently logged on user.
Furthermore you can define new default letters for USB drives and much more.
It works on Windows XP to Windows 11 and Server 2003 to 2022.

Additionally, it reports successfully (connecting and) disconnecting of any USB drives via a systray balloon tip to let the user know when the drive can be unplugged safely. Therefore, I do not need an extra tool for a safe remove of USB drives. :no:

Homepage: https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 8/12/2023 at 2:14 PM, Milkinis said:

The thing is that sometimes eject doesn't work...

@AstroSkipper

Additionally, it reports successfully (connecting and) disconnecting of any USB drives via a systray balloon tip to let the user know when the drive can be unplugged safely. Therefore, I do not need an extra tool for a safe remove of USB drives.

It's Ok. We're just listing everything that works so that people can evaluate each alternative and choose whatever is best for them.

Edited by tekkaman

• 3 weeks later...

New CamAV  https://oss.netfarm.it/clamav/

C:\clamav-x86-0.103.10>freshclam
Creating missing database directory: C:\clamav-x86-0.103.10\db
ClamAV update process started at Tue Sep 05 14:07:24 2023
daily database available for download (remote version: 27022)
Time:   38.2s, ETA:    0.0s [========================>]   58.85MiB/58.85MiB
Testing database: 'C:\clamav-x86-0.103.10\db\tmp.83b74eade8\clamav-a4bd374e54ef0
978146748d44e409cb3.tmp-daily.cvd' ...
Database test passed.
daily.cvd updated (version: 27022, sigs: 2040261, f-level: 90, builder: raynman)

main database available for download (remote version: 62)
Time:  1m 45s, ETA:    0.0s [========================>]  162.58MiB/162.58MiB
Testing database: 'C:\clamav-x86-0.103.10\db\tmp.83b74eade8\clamav-2023b2874e3a4
3d7dcec97293624507e.tmp-main.cvd' ...
Database test passed.
main.cvd updated (version: 62, sigs: 6647427, f-level: 90, builder: sigmgr)
bytecode database available for download (remote version: 334)
Time:    0.3s, ETA:    0.0s [========================>]  285.12KiB/285.12KiB
Testing database: 'C:\clamav-x86-0.103.10\db\tmp.83b74eade8\clamav-d226fbf39d093
3f0466f052bfb63f5ac.tmp-bytecode.cvd' ...
Database test passed.
bytecode.cvd updated (version: 334, sigs: 91, f-level: 90, builder: anvilleg)

C:\clamav-x86-0.103.10>

Yep ClamAV works but it's also very prone to detect false positives. I've had very bad experiences on every platform I tried it on: Fedora (lots of false positives, it deleted plenty of good files) and Windows98SE (again, lots of false positives, including all the KernelEx stuff being wrongly detected, Retrozilla builds etc). Unfortunately, on Win98 there isn't much else one can use nowadays, so it's either that or nothing as old version of avast 4.8 have the last definitions update from the end of 2017 and haven't been updated ever since. Luckily with XP we still have alternatives, but yeah, one day we might end up on that one, unfortunately... Still, better than nothing and with Clam Sentinel you can have real time scanning too.

Still, ClamAV + Clam Sentinel are still light years away from proper, modern antivirus solutions, unfortunately. :( 

In any case, it's nice to know that we can rely on free open source solutions when support for literally everything else fades away...

Edited by FranceBB

After MSE stopped updating back in 2019, I switched to Malwarebytes and it worked perfectly fine for me. The only con is that it's paid, but oh well.

zU9PHxL.png

Edited by NojusK