POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Well, gang, no one has posted any warnings about this past Tuesday's updates.  All OK?

(Although I suppose if anyone's XP machine had exploded with gears and watch-springs flying everywhere, he wouldn't be able to post.)

I had one update that would continually want to reload after each boot.  I don't remember the number, but off hand I think it ended with "46."  In any case what fixed it was deleting and recreating the SoftwareDistribution directory.  If that happens to you say the word and I'll post the procedure if you need it.

Done! It sure is a start, and we all agree about it. Thanks are due to Acheron, for the post list, without which my task would've been way more difficult! And congratulations to Dave-H: you're now thread starter of the new EMET thread! :yes:

The Root Certificates thread is now created, too. Just to let you all know. It's here. Thanks are due to Dave-H, for the post list. Please do check whether any adjustments should be made.

• 2 weeks later...

All I want is to enable POS updates to XP with as little effort as possible. I don't feel comfortable trying to digest all the information I find on this forum, it makes me dizzy!

i think I can get well behaved, up-to-date XP installations without SP4 but updating until 2019 , and that would take one headache away from me. I really don't know what I'd want SP4 for, I am only using the pc for surfing, reading blogs, and reading a newsgroup with Outlook Express - the only newsreader I am comfortable with, and MSWORD (2000 version).

So how would the proper procedure look like, what would the sequence of required be?

I have to stop playing computer geek and retreat into a 100% position as a user. . .

And for anyone who, like me, prefers reg files, here is the Myrrh-Sebijk-Harkaz trick in .reg form:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]"Installed"=dword:00000000[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]"Installed"=dword:00000000[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]"Installed"=dword:00000001

It can be removed afterwards, too. But one has to remove Myrrh-Sebijk-Harkaz trick from the cold (unbooted) system, by using a live CD. That's described in this post.

Of course, there's a simpler version of it:

there is a much easier way:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]"Installed"=dword:00000001

and POSReady2009 Updates will install on XP + Windows Update shows the updates for POSReady 2009 :)

Please do make sure, after copying one of these .REG files to notepad, that the file ends with at least two blank lines.

Then change the extension from .TXT to .REG, right-click on the name and select "merge", then "yes".

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem, harkaz. Either the website hasn't been updated with the latest POS updates (besides KB890830), or the website has changed how it checks XP OS versions.

I have downloaded the updates from Windows Update catalog.

So now they are checking whether the ProductSuite key =EmbeddedNT as well.

You cannot change this, so we have to go manual from now on.

I just did a manual check on Microsoft Update, and all that was offered was the March 2016 Malicious Software Removal Tool, and one update for the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack.

:(

In WU and MU I get latest updates (German and English) offered for March 2016!

Give the servers of MS bit more time, then think should the updates be available everywhere.

:)

Edited by heinoganda