POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

It could be a good idea to remove the SYSTEM\WPA\WES and SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS keys, even if they're set to Installed=0.

Similar changes may take effect in the next months.

@dencorso I think we should completely remove the references to these keys in the first post.

Yes, you should remove the key in any case.

OK, I'll give it a try.

Strange though that I am seeing two security updates in MS Update, but I'm still not getting the yellow system tray icon from Automatic Updates.

I've check my WindowsUpdate.log and there is no error line like that quoted in post #762.

:)

EDIT: I just checked my other computer, and that is showing the yellow shield, but only offering the two updates.

MS Update was the same, so I removed the registry key and scanned again, and all the other updates appeared.

Still no shield on my main machine though, but I will remove the key when it finishes what it's doing!

:yes:

Edited by Dave-H

Hey - guys - it's like all of you are suddenly rummaging around in the closet looking for something.  Peace and quiet for 27 days and then - blammo!

Since the closet is stuffed with tech people right now, I'll hang back, sip a Martini and wait for the hubbub to subside.  As always, please let me know if your XP machines keep chugging and puffing contentedly with the new parts.

Thanks guys!

Edited by glnz

OK - Maybe I should be a little more helpful. 

I don't have the nasty regedit key, and when I ran Microsoft Update just now, it showed ten available updates:

Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3140735)

Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3140709)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3139929)

Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3139852)

Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3139398)

Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3139914)

Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3140410)

Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3139940)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2016 (KB890830)

Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (KB3114900)

Still, Martini-sipping is more important tonight than pushing those buttons, so I'll wait for your reviews of these before tomorrow morning's coffee and button-pushing.

Cheers!

PS - I ran the update manually.  The shield is not yet showing.  But it's usually a few days late anyway.  Lazy guy, just like me.

Edited by glnz

I see no updates since a number of security updates Feb 28, except for the Malicious remover. Should i have more, how to get them?

Do you applied the POSReady registry hack?

Without it you can't get POSReady updates.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded

Ok, deleted. Now i see I should have gone to the PRODUCT_VERSION subkey.

I presume it can be restored if need be. Guess there is more left in the 'mandatory actions' category as well.

Would be nice to have it all in one place.

My shield has just appeared - two days late as always - and shows me the same ten updates as I listed above.

Dave-H, dencorso and friends - are they OK - are your machines still happy?  Or is the Fire Dept. still hosing them down?

Of course, this wonderful thread has kept me on my XP machine almost two years too long.  I've never actually gone to the trouble of moving anything to my Win 7/Win 10 machine.  I like XP, Office 2003 and Adobe Photoshop Elements from 2001 (no version number) too much.

dencorso - are there any new manual updates to add to hmueller's box list that you re-pasted three± pages above?  Did you start a new thread for that only?

Thanks.

Edited by glnz