Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. (Click Here) Dutch Boy and the Dike (story) Perhaps you have not enough fingers for Privacy Dike Plugging? Actually, no idea much here on 'IP Privacy' issues. Maybe a PAY ($$$) VPN Service would work for you? (Click Here) Project ECHELON Besides, they know about you anyway!
  3. Today
  4. @Dylan Cruz That happens to me too. Probably because it expects a different XP-style UI rendering routine, but can't confirm.
  5. OK, found it and install, looks like it worked! I didn't realize the roots update files were continually being released. I applied the roots update from 2017 and that allowed my Chromium 54 to work with HTTPS once I rebooted. I didn't need to reboot for Outlook to stop warning me, though. Interesting. Complete guide should now be fully up to date: https://w2k.phreaknet.org/guide/ I don't think anything has been left out. Just out of curiosity, when you go to Tools -> Account Settings, what do you see? I don't see my mail account listed there. I haven't, this whole time we've been testing. I thought it was something weird, but I think it's more like the Office activation think where I had to replaced riched20 dll for that to work right. You can see that something is highlighted, but there's no text. If you click Change, then the email account settings come up. Not a big issue, since there's no need to access this on a day to day basis, but I can imagine it might be confusing once I put 10 accounts in here and they all show up as invisible!
  6. @Dylan Cruz Click "Manual Update" on the left sidebar, then several English search fields will come up.
  7. Uh, what do I click, exactly? It's all in Japanese. Usually, there's a translate option, but not this time, and there's no English really.
  8. Yes thanks for your detailled response, TechnoRelic! foxyproxy in BNAV ... so why, on BNAV, IP check websites show my true IP, please? WHOER extended: https://whoer.net/#extended JonDonym: http://ip-check.info/?lang=en Aaron Horler: https://aaronhorler.com/ ... and Roytam1: https://o.rths.ml/test/ip.php Have you an proxy/vpn extension working on other RoyTam1's browsers, please? If not, test "legacy" Zenmate extension et get your impressions here, please... Link to download Zenmate: https://web.archive.org/web/20191029181657/https://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/541038/index.html ... or download "legacy" Browsec, if you wish: https://web.archive.org/web/20191029180612/https://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/603434/index.html Thank you!
  9. @Dylan Cruz Install the latest root certificate update (July 2019) from blackwingcat's Windows Legacy Update (http://www.w2k.flxsrv.org/wlu/wluen.htm) I did find consistency to the crashes; they happen when attempting to open an unread email for me. I marked them all as read and the crashes stopped.
  10. A bit late, but you can obtain the XP/Vista version here: https://getonline.aol.com//xp-vista It's now version 1.0.0.35
  11. Did all this, when I test my settings, I get the The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified... A certificate chain processed correctly, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider. Do you want to continue using this server? I click Yes twice and the tests pass. Next->Finish. And then my mailbox loads!!!! Yes, it works!!! I'll have to test more of Outlook's nuances, but I will update the guide. I guess we can have our cake and eat it, too! Thanks again @win32 - really looking forward to using W2K as my primary OS now. UPDATE: In the time it took me to write this response, I went back to Outlook and it had crashed. Ah, I supposed that's to be expected, though. I do get the certificate error every time I open Outlook 2007. A very similar error happened every time I opened Outlook 2003 on vanilla W2K, but that happened twice for every single account. This happens only once, though I only have one account connected at this time. Any way to permanently disable the warning? If not, it's not the end of the world - as long as it doesn't do it once per account/server. UPDATE 2: I relaunched Outlook and tried to open an email, and then it crashed again. But I did it again and it didn't crash, so I guess it's not consistent.
  12. Wow, I'm an id***. I looked in Program Files\Office12, not Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12...
  13. @Dylan Cruz Same. But it is a very important file as far as Office is concerned. Have you tried Search?
  14. Yeah, no MSO.DLL for me. There are some DLLs and ACLs that start with MSO but not just MSO.DLL There is an MSO.ACL in the 1033 folder. Which Office do you have? I have Enterprise 2007.
  15. @Dylan Cruz Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/OFFICE12.
  16. Speaking of which, where IS MSO.DLL? Dependency Walker once warned me it couldn't find it (see my last screenshot). which folder is it in?
  17. @Dylan Cruz This is the working procedure: 1. rename the crypt32.dll from the XP update to crypt33.dll and copy to system32. 2. Use Replacer to replace BWC's rsaenh.dll, schannel.dll and dssenh.dll with the one from the other XP hotfix. 3. hex edit MSO.DLL to point to crypt33.dll instead of crypt32. So BWC's crypt32 stays, but XP's is copied under a different name, and the three other BWC files are replaced. This outcome satisfies Word and Outlook at the same time. No need to modify any Outlook files.
  18. Wait, so the solution is simply replace the other 3 files we replaced with the original BWC ones? And then change MSO.DLL's ref to crypt32 to crypt33? No changes in outlook.exe, or any other DLLs necessary??
  19. @Dylan Cruz Oddly enough, even the changing of pointer to crypt33.dll in MSO.DLL doesn't change much for an Office 2007-encrypted file; as rsaenh.dll still calls crypt32. So I decided to just replace rsaenh.dll, schannel.dll, dssenh.dll. After that, mso.dll called crypt33.dll to successfully open the Word 2016 encrypted file, whilst outlook called the original crypt32.dll and connected to Yandex.
  20. I tried patching out more references to crypt32, but there's so many of them! And if crypt32 were eliminated from outlook.exe's dependencies, is it guaranteed to work? I don't think it makes sense to change the default crypt32, because Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher, etc. will all rely on those for encryption. Fixing Outlook seems more doable.
  21. @Dylan Cruz I get the constant reappearing login window. But I did use dependency walker to look at the decryption process. WWLIB.DLL calls MSO.DLL (in Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/OFFICE12), which in turn calls CRYPT32.DLL which then calls advapi32.dll. That's at the start of the process. The rest of it is detailed in this dependency walker file who anyone who is interested. But I think the part I described is the most important. This routine seems to be shared by most of MS Office, but maybe not Outlook. worddecrpytionprocess.7z
  22. @jaclaz Thanks for the tip. I tested the latest version of the program using Win98se and on two machines, with following results: 1) Can be used for Part I, Part III and Part V installations (no UUID changes in these parts!). A Reboot is always necessary. 2) Letter Assigner changes letters in MD-DOS already, assignments are found to be NOT compatible with SMARTDRV.EXE - Warning: Unable to use a disk cache on the specified drive (not mentioned in the HELP doc's). So speed gained for ALL drives in MS-DOS Compatibility mode, is lost by using Letter Assigner for assigned drives. This is less severe in Part V: the USB 2.0 drivers don't use Smartdrive; for some "Administrator" activities (starting Windows with USB-controllers disabled), the root partition in USB legacy mode is still cached by Smartdrive. 3) Letter Assigner checks for the Windows partition with UUID entrances in the file LETTERS.INI. In Part II and Part IV the UUID of the Memdrive is ALWAYS different from the UUID of the Windows partition on the USB boot drive. Since it's a goal of the project to have always access to this partition, the results with Letter Assigner are not compatible with starting Windows from a USB legacy drive after installation on a Memdrive; and the other way round. In the first case the C-drive will vanish after LETASSIG.EXE is started during execution of AUTOEXEC.BAT. In the second case I had a very, very bad crash while booting Windows on the Memdrive. It should be possible to replace LETTERS.INI-files before, but for sure this will not be easier than just calling SMARTDRV.EXE and SUBST.EXE in a batch file, with the right drive letters. 4) If the Windows volume is commented out in LETTERS.INI, assignment of other volumes is still working. The program gives only a message during execution of AUTOEXEC.BAT: Bad descriptor: ;;C=(1234-5678) Bad descriptor: ;;W=(8765-4321) Bad descriptor: ;;/WD=(8765-4321) The new volume mapping has been set up. Volume D was mapped without problems to X (except Smartdrive caching)! 5) Volumes on real USB 2.0 drives are changed roughly in the same way as Device Manager operates. Only in case of a non-removable USB drive, Letter Assigner is special. Using Device Manager the USB drive has first to be set as "Removable", to change drive letters. After first reboot the drive can be set back as non-removable, new drive letters will be still there, but a second reboot is needed first. With Letter Assigner there is just one reboot needed. In the Registry (in HKLM\ENUM\SCSI\..somedrive..\) only one line "UserDriveLetterAssignment"="XZ" is added, while "CurrentDriveLetterAssignment" is changed to ="XYZ" (if XYZ are new volume letters of an USB hard drive with three partitions). With Device Manager there will be three other lines in the Registry-entrance left, but they are only needed in case of a truly removable USB (flash) drive and do no harm otherwise (as far as I observed). 6) Labels changed, by Letter Assigner are NOT compatible with the GRUB4DOS "vol --write"-command.
  23. What happened? Yeah, that's what I discovered using dependency walker. Any thoughts on how we might figure this out?
  24. @Dylan Cruz I thought the configuration had worked, but apparently not. And winword.exe doesn't refer to crypt32.dll either.
  25. But word doesn't refer to crypt32 at all, right? Also, Excel files can be encrypted too, and PPT also I think I'm a bit confused. Which DLLs need to be modified? Just outlook's credui to credui1 and then credui1's crypt32 to crypt33?
  26. @Dylan Cruz outlook.exe is not calling crypt32.dll, but credui.dll is. The mso.dll thing isn't very important though. There are several other DLLs that serve its purpose. So I copied credui.dll, renamed it credu1.dll, changed crypt32 reference to crypt33, then changed Outlook's reference to credui to credu1. It's a system file as opposed to an Outlook library so doing otherwise could break Word encryption again. OR, we just keep everything as-is, and only have word refer to crypt33 (which would be the "new" crypt32). Outlook and all other software could continue to refer to BWC's files without hex editing or stubs. Or not, because I got IMAP sign-in working (Yandex) with credu1.dll.
  27. Welcome to MSFN. I dimly recall that @greenhillmaniac was once making a custom Vista ISO but had a major problem with USB 3.0 drivers. Unfortunately that thread may have been lost due to a June 2018 server crash (or otherwise deleted) because I can't seem to find it. Hopefully greenhillmaniac will take an interest in your post. (I'm running Vista on 2007 vintage hardware myself.)
  1. Load more activity