Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Vistapocalypse

Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

KB4493458 has Known issues with Sophos Endpoint Protection (which is a business solution) and Avira. Of course Avira officially ended support for Vista years ago, and Sophos Home never supported Vista.
  3. If that wasn't a rhetorical question... : https://design.firefox.com/photon/
  4. WTF is "Photon?" These physics-inspired trademarks - Quantum, Photon, etc. - are really getting out of hand. Next thing you know, someone will have a "Higgs Boson" browser
  5. jaclaz

Win 7, no USB drivers

Good , though if you can it would be useful to compare those to your friend's ones. The Mass Storage devices seem to me like not relevant (even if the may be part of the mess). What happens if you delete the devices and lt after reboot Windows 7 find them? Or try forcing the instal of these (x86/x64): http://driverpacks.net/catalog-drivers/device_id/hwid-PCI\VEN_8086%26DEV_1E2D?os=windows-7-x86 http://driverpacks.net/catalog-drivers/device_id/hwid-PCI\VEN_8086%26DEV_1E2D?os=windows-7-x64 jaclaz
  6. Jody Thornton

My build of New Moon (temp. name) a.k.a. Pale Moon for XP

As for Waterfox, it is not based on UXP, and as for the new Alpha release of Waterfox v68, Photon, WebExtensions and Bootstrapped Add-Ons will be embraced.
  7. Yes, that is likely. That part, I'm not so sure about. OTOH, it's certainly possible. We'll just have to hope for the best. It'll depend on what MCP intends to do with PM 29, and what code libraries they use. For example, they could go down a path similar to Waterfox, which preserves UXP, yet cannot be back-ported to XP (uses Rust, IIRC....)
  8. Dave-H

Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware?

@deomsh Just a quick question. I'm making a zip file up containing all the necessary files for this in case I ever need to reinstall it again from scratch, with an installation instruction note. The documentation for the driver refers to a file called "activate.exe", which doesn't appear to exist. The file in the "Activate" folder is called "Hdarun.exe". Is that the same file? I'm not actually running it, I assume that it's not needed? Also, do I need the HDA2.MAP file, or is that also part of the source code?
  9. Asp

Win 7, no USB drivers

DEVCON DriverFiles =USB PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26&SUBSYS_21FA17AA&REV_04\3&21436425&0&E8 Name: Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26 No driver information available for the device. PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E2D&SUBSYS_21FA17AA&REV_04\3&21436425&0&D0 Name: Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E2D No driver information available for the device. PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_21FA17AA&REV_04\3&21436425&0&A0 Name: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller No driver information available for the device. IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30\4&1059F7DE&1 Name: Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub No driver information available for the device. 4 matching device(s) found. devcon findall =USB PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26&SUBSYS_21FA17AA&REV_04\3&21436425&0&E8: Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E2D&SUBSYS_21FA17AA&REV_04\3&21436425&0&D0: Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E2D PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_21FA17AA&REV_04\3&21436425&0&A0: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller USB\VID_1F75&PID_0902\09021000001108046300000127 : USB Mass Storage Device USB\VID_FFFF&PID_5678\9207120B49626808901 : USB Mass Storage Device IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30\4&1059F7DE&1 : Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub 6 matching device(s) found.
  10. ... It was detailed in the official Pale Moon forums that UXP (off of Mozilla ESR 52.6.0) is the final Mozilla code fork-point for Moonchild Productions' applications, as they concluded that any more up-to-date Mozilla code is, in fact, incompatible with XUL apps and their own vision of how apps should be... To this day, they claim they'll stay clear of the Quantum platform (which includes Rust, Servo and other XP+Vista incompatible code/libs), so my gut feeling is if/when official Pale Moon 29.x.x is released, it'll be built on a UXP evolutionary off-spring (thus, still being susceptible to the XP+Vista restoration "treatment" ); of course, time will only tell
  11. OS: Windows Vista SP2 32-bit Browser: Serpent v52.9.0 (2019-04-19) (32-bit) buildID=20190419233752 Original browser package: "basilisk52-g4.1.win32-git-20190420-51722cd4f-xpmod.7z" Userstyle manager extension installed: Stylem 2.2.4 Sadly, it well appears that installing userstyles directly from the userstyles.org repository is currently broken (again ) : Clicking the "Install Style" button gets the tab to become unresponsive/hang, with no prompt appearing to install the style... Is it 1. The site's fault? 2. The browser's fault? 3. The extension's fault? In any case, I had to use the workaround posted in this thread some months ago... about:addons => "User Styles" tab => "Install style from URL" button (second on top-left) => Input the following URL: https://userstyles.org/styles/144028/google-clean-dark.css
  12. dencorso

Newest Adobe Flash and Shockwave, and Java, too!

Sure. But someone ought to start a dedicated thread and write a cleaned-up how-to procedure for that, don't you agree? I can contribute a regshot "redo.reg" of the minimum registry changes needed (to be attached soon to this very post) and the picture below...
  13. I think you could go with and you'll be set, at least until NM 29! Note: I'd guess that, when the day comes, it won't be possible to make an XP-compatible version of PM 29. But I'm willing to bet that @roytam1 will continue post-EOL updates of NM 28, just as he does now for NM 27. So 28.* will probably work for a long time
  14. ... The Moonchild Productions devs have just bumped appVersion to 28.5.0a2 in their master branch: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/commit/bccf86a (bumping platformVersion as well to 4.2.0); I expect @roytam1 to soon follow on this - when that happens, your script will fail and'll have to be amended... Just a heads-up!
  15. dencorso

I bet you do banking using your Win Vista, and your bank(s) have installed safety software by Diebold/Warsaw/GAS Technology on it. If so, such safety software is known to cause instabilities (usually related to win32k) and slow the system. But since they update it constantly, the BSoDs usually go away by themselves after some time. The system slowdown, however, only gets worse on time passing. The best overall solution is to have duplicate Windows in the same machine, let one as is for banking and clean the other from such security software and use it for everything but banking. Yes, it requires a double-boot setup, but nothing is perfect & there's no such thing as a free lunch, of course!
  16. Vistapocalypse

If the April updates per se caused instability, I think Ruan, WinClient5270 or greenhillmaniac would have noticed it. What antivirus are you using?
  17. Skulltrail

Newer motherboards that support WinXP

Hey Dietmar, Can you do it for x64/amd64? Regards,
  18. Jody Thornton

How many will continue using XP?

I was expecting you to include Q4OS. I just never felt Zorin was all that Windows Like. Now RoboLinux looks interesting. Can you just run a Windows application seamlessly on the Linux dektop, or does it need to boot the whole OS in a VM?
  19. Windows 2000

I will keep using Windows XP on my main PC as long as it is able to run the internet acceptably.
  20. Songokuh

StartIsBack++ 2.8

It does not work correctly in the recently released Win10 19.03. It is not able to change the color or transparency of the taskbar. Regards...
  21. PROBLEMCHYLD

I'm using Win 7 and Linux atm. Once Win 7 becomes unusable I'll leave the computer world.
  22. Dave-H

Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware?

@deomsh Of course Watler should have every credit for originally writing the driver, initially for Windows 3.1, but as far as I'm concerned your skill was in porting the Windows 3.1 driver to Windows 98, writing the INF file which made the installation easy to do. Also of course doing the necessary analysis and work to produce the Hdaicout.hda file that worked with my hardware! I wouldn't have even known where to start with any of that! There are so many brilliant and talented people here on this forum, I sometimes feel that I'm not worthy. However if my problems and their resolutions can help others in the future I'm delighted with that. As I mentioned earlier I had a similar problem getting a driver for my onboard Ethernet port to work on Windows 98, which resulted in a thread even longer than this one! That also used a driver designed for a much earlier operating system (DOS in that case, Windows 3.1 in this case) and it also proved that "where there's a will, there's a way", especially here on MSFN! Yet again, I salute you all!
  23. junior600

I will keep using it for a long time ahah
  24. caliber

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/linux-like-windows
  25. jaclaz

Win 7, no USB drivers

Hmmm. Try removing all USB related devices (those with the exclamation mark), reboot and see what happens. Along the lines of: http://farmtek.net/win7_driver_fix.htm Check also hidden devices, *like* here: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/165554-usb-driver-general-fix-problems.html Personally I would use devcon, instructions here: https://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php actual freely redistributable file (recompiled from the orignal MS source) here: to list all USB related drivers: DEVCON DriverFiles =USB and to list all devices: DEVCON Findall =USB saving the lists to .txt files and compare them against the same files on your friend's system. jaclaz
  1. Load more activity