Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. IIRC, the last Java version with an installer that runs on XP was 8u151/8u152. But any Java version prior to the latest (8u231 as noted above) will trigger Mozilla's security warning. To get the latest version installed on XP, see these posts: BTW if you put those commands into a .bat or .cmd file don't forget to double all the % characters in the for command. You may also want to use a capital F vs. a lowercase f.
  3. Today
  4. Your post illustrates quite nicely my point: one BSOD per year (and none without the patch) is one BSOD too many per year, IMO. And CHKDSK becomes unreliable on top of it? That's dangerous by definition: one cannot rely on one's filesystems if even something so basic as CHKDSK refuses to work. As I said, it's not ready for day-to-day use.
  5. I'm using the russian patch 4Gb-Fix (Up to 128Gb) (v. 0.0.0.42 RC2) since one year on one of my main computers (a Zotac zbox id18). I'm writting this post from it. The patch is pretty stable but from time to time (several weeks between) I get a BSOD. Especially when I run a browser based on Chromium. The CHKDSK command doesn't works with at least one external HDD (depend of the model of controller used in the external case).
  6. On my ASRock H110M-DVS R3.0 motherboard, I need HIMEMX.EXE even when using rloew's RAM Patch, or else 98SE is stuck on the boot screen. It's probably what LoneCrusader is talking about the /MACHINE:1 switch, never tried that myself as I have always used HIMEMX.EXE, will try that when I get a chance. Why do you need EMM386.EXE? I do not need it to install 98SE on my H110 motherboard, try without it. Try using the integrated GPU rather than the GTX 780. Try installing 98SE without the PCI slot box thingy connected. You do not need AHCI driver to get 98SE to boot on new AHCI only motherboards. After the system is installed, you will simply have legacy 16-bit Disk Access that is noted in the Performance tab in System properties. ESDI_506.PDR is not used at all. After you have 98SE booted, then you can install the AHCI driver (by selecting one of the PCI Card devices in Device Manager) and enjoy the full 32-bit Disk Access. And finally, try obtaining a PCI-E 98SE compatible GPU, those include the GeForce 6/7 series, and ATI Radeon X300/X550/X700/X800/X850 series. You can also try removing some RAM sticks if possible.
  7. First, let me tell my configuration: CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz (O/C'ed to 3.54? GHz) GPU: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512 MB RAM: 1.5 GB, DDR2 (runs at ¨440 MHz because one of the RAMs is 533 MHz and it won't overclock well) Main browser: Serpent 55.0 Pros: Works well on YouTube, can play 720p without lagging (thanks to GPU acceleration), can play videos on Twitter as well Cons: Can't open Instagram (I don't use it so it's not important for me), needs user agent spoofing for some websites to open (like Whatsapp Web, but once you done it it will be saved) and when I install Ublock Origin it stops connecting to Internet so I use ABL (Adblock Latitude) from Basilisk Addons page Second browser (when I want to do something requires some Chrome extensions or translation of a page): Extreme 360 Chrome (or whatever else) Pros: Works like a new version of Chrome I use on my main PC, no problem on websites Cons: As GPU acceleration is disabled for Windows XP on earlier versions of Chromium, it won't play videos well on a PC like mine, so I'm only using it for Discord and things I mentioned above. Third (when I want some synchronization between Chrome on my main PC, my phone and the "Pentium 4" PC: Slimjet Pros: Not so much, think it's like a Chrome 49 but it's based on Chrome 50, and it has a built-in adblocker Cons: Same as Chrome 49 (no acceleration, website errors due to old XP libraries) (Use of ProxHTTPProxy helps it, but you know, why open another program while there are browsers doesn't require that) Sorry if it's too long, but I wanted to share my experiences. And an advice for Discord users: Right click on 360 Chrome Browser's executable, select "Create Shortcut" or "Send > Desktop (create shortcut) Right click on the created shortcut, and add this line at the end of Target: --app=discordapp.com/channels/@me Click OK or Apply then exit. So you'll have Discord in a browser window but without any buttons or address bar, just the title bar and you can see the website icon on the taskbar (just like the app!)
  8. That's because the patch is intended for advanced users who are used to work with modified system files and understand the possible stability issues that it may cause.
  9. Hello, I play very rarely. The last game I have purchased was in 2007... BUT for fun and as I'm curious, I will download some free action games and will try them in the next weeks. If you know some - not too big - free action games that fulfill your requirements, please, post the links.
  10. Hi dencorso, Thank you for your donation of $50.00. We look forward to improving the forums and stay online with your donation. Thanks MSFN
  11. well... all this was not described this way at the win-raid forum. https://www.win-raid.com/t4035f45-Windows-XP-Bit-and-Server-Bit-on-Modern-Hardware-242.html#msg96981 this is why I was asking for help. I had to extract those files from the XP ISO cab folder because they were not available in the system32 folder or just had different sizes I have found the ntkrpamp file in the windows\driver cahe\i386 and the halmacpi was missing. the russian patch was tested on another mainboard and it works just fine however it doesn't run on my current computer, hence I wanted to test your patch. I'm glad to hear @Dibya will be making an executable patch so we don't have to mess with individual files anymore. the russian patch is simply perfect, anybody with no programming skills is able to install or uninstll it with a single click
  12. IGP (X12xx, 21xx) Main article: Radeon R400 series All models include Direct3D 9.0b and OpenGL 2.0 Based on Radeon X700 Model Launch Code name Fab (nm) Bus interface Core clock (MHz) Memory clock (MHz) Core config1 Fillrate Memory MOperations/s MPixels/s MTexels/s MVertices/s Size (MB) Bandwidth (GB/s) Bus type Bus width (bit) Radeon Xpress X1200 Feb. 28 2007 RS690C (zeus) 80 HT 2.0 350 400 - 800 4:2:4:4 1400 1400 1400 175 256 - 512 6.4 - 12.8 DDR2 128 Radeon Xpress X1250 Aug. 29, 2006 (Intel), Feb. 28, 2007 (AMD) RS600, RS690 (zeus) FSB, HT 2.0 400 1600 1600 1600 200 Radeon Xpress 2100 March 4, 2008 RS740 (titan) 55 HT 2.0 500 2000 2000 2000 250 I have got these drivers The top one which is not shown is ATI Mobility FireGL V5200. I know that ATI drivers for 9500 and 9700 either can be installed on the cards and x700 drivers run on my x850 agp so the V5200 driver could be good for the V5000? They do not have the same GPU chip number but neither has x700 compared to x850. PCI FireGL 9250 cards were wired different to that of normal 9250 ones and drivers were not made for win9x, so FireGL would need to be the criteria when choosing a driver. I have uploaded INF see if your card is found? CL_40818.zip
  13. @Dibya This NOT a "best patch" contest. Do yourself a favor, grab the debug symbols for both XP and Server 2003, find the PAE related code, analyze it, pay attention to the variables. Plus, all known PAE patches were missing a license check in Kernel. There is just ONE way to patch HAL and Kernel files, plain and simple. The most time consuming part of patching the HAL is to find "free space" to add NEW code, ADD relocations and so on. If you are expecting your "new" patch to work without doing all of this, I can assure you that it WON'T work at all. I'm done with this discussion.
  14. Could be a Linux/UTF8 issue or something in qBittorrent. It was the first time for me building a torrent file so it could also be my fault. Did you manage to get anything at all? I see 2 seeders and 3 leechers but none are actually connected/downloading. My connection is quite weird too (an USB 3G/HSUPA modem that acts like a LAN!) so anything can go wrong.
  15. Well Win32 my patch never caused any issues with ATI Radeon and Intel HD graphics even for your surprise hibernation works with my patch with so called buggy ATI Radeon . How it works then ? Let me explain . XP , 2k and 2k3 all handles pae differently . XP : keeps double DMA buffer enabled always when 64bit ramdisk is active 2k : Enables dma buffer when certain kernel calls are called by your driver (on those days high end components only used those API but that not lies today since nt is a major platform now unlike 9x in those days. 2k3 sp2 : has special hal mechanism that detects defective driver and enable DMA buffer when the driver support in separate memory space . My new patch will port fullmechanism from win 2k3 unlike my old patch which ported some to prevent just few drivers which troubled me and my user . I am using my new patch for 4months . It is so far God like stable .. I will analyse new patch by Daniel since it enables pae without pae switch
  16. I have one peer located but not connected just yet. Strangely my WinME did not like the file directory setup it seems. It said it was in use by 220A9.... I tried deselecting some files and the decimal number in brackets after the 220A9.... hash number changed, it may not like the file allocation directories naming. Anyway it seems to be OK with Win7 so far. I would have expected to find a seed though. China was very slow bit rate in general from AU using torrents several years ago. Nothing downloaded just yet. If you can download some other file then perhaps it should upload. IP address probably won't show until connected. I should install qBittorent to be sure I am using Vuze. Going to leave for a few hours now. I will keep Vuze running.
  17. @caliber and all I've already posted how to test the patched files without messing with original files: - Run the WinXPPAE.exe with proper command line switches - Rename ntkrpamp.exe to ntkrpae.exe - Rename halmacpi.dll to halpae.dll - Copy both files to \Windows\System32 folder. Add this to the end of the [operating systems] section of boot.ini: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP (PAE Test)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /HAL=halpae.dll /KERNEL=ntkrpae.exe The multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS string must match the already existing entry. Restart and select that boot option.
  18. Creative Labs hardware, as well as Intel graphics drivers and some ATI/AMD graphics are known to be incompatible with PAE with RAM > 4 GB on Windows XP. But most application software* (and all 16bit stuff in my experience) runs perfectly fine. Multiprocess applications will certainly benefit. *Video Painter component of Ulead Media Studio Pro 7.3 notwithstanding; a simple rendering operation hogged 2.3 GB before crashing. will try to replicate without PAE. this program dates back to 2003, when most people had 128-512 MB of RAM. I struggle to find myself using more than 2 GB at any given time though. However, I don't use NT 5.1 (XP) for these pursuits. Windows 2000 Professional with Extended Kernel + Core also unlocks up to 64 GB of RAM and runs 90% of everything XP runs. The PAE implementation is stable thanks to its direct lineage with its Server counterparts. And it is not as unobtainable as Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.
  19. NONE. Read latest dencorso's post to understand why (even if personally I run XP SP2, and - just in case - yes, I know, thanks for telling me that SP3 and unofficial SP4 are available ) I doubt it will work, unless you have Windows File Protection Service disabled, read the instructions: https://www.win-raid.com/t4035f45-Windows-XP-Bit-and-Server-Bit-on-Modern-Hardware-242.html#msg96981 jaclaz
  20. It seems, but I'm still far from sure of it and have no personal experience with the case, that *some* Z390 (Coffee Lake-S and maybe -X) BIOSes map most of the RAM on those boards above 4 GiB, thus exposing just something under 1 GiB for XP, even when populated with 8 or more GiB of RAM. If that turns out to be a fact, it might be an additional reason for using the PAE patch, albeit I would prefer to forgo such boards completely, instead.
  21. Oh, that's an idea I hadn't thought about. I just built a torrent file out of the scripts folder (it also contains some extras, ~124MB all in all). Hope it's OK to attach it here. I did try to pack something recently using password and filename encryption but sending failed just as well so I gave up. Torrents are a good idea though. I vaguely remember Tihiy saying this got fixed in some tool of his - maybe RP9 or something else. On my old 98SE CPU usage was accurate but I did have a lot of enhancements there including RP 9.7.2. Drugwash public AHK scripts 2019.11.22.torrent
  22. Thanks Den! I guess I'll wait a bit longer. As you say, XP runs fine with only 3GB or so of RAM usable, and unless you want to run resource intensive games on it or whatever, there is probably no real reason to need be able to access more memory anyway.
  23. I don't think anybody really knows for sure. All those PAE patches are still *very* experimental, so there are scanty reports of their use and no serious, intensive, test of them in day-to-day use. In my experience, if one can see 3 GiB or a little more than that, XP SP4 updated to the last POSReady updates will run smoothly in day-to-day use and run OK any Office (from 97 to 2007), graphic processing programs like Irfan View, LView Pro, Pic win Pro, @roytam1's browsers, 360chrome, Origin 7.0, MPC-HC, Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1 together with the last MSE, and many system diagnostic and optimization utilities, among other software, for months on end, without requiring a single reboot, and even with no pagefile, although I favor using the Gavotte Ramdisk (using RAM above 4 GiB) for a pagefile, TEMP and the temporary internet files from every broswer. My 2¢ only but, then, you sort of asked for them, right? Of course, were I to ever use the PAE patch, I'd go to @daniel_k's and MOV AX, 0xDEAD's one, which I trust hands down.
  24. Just a quick aside. IIRC there was some problem with running 16 bit programs in some boot configurations of XP. Will they still run if a PAE patch is applied? Asking for a friend. (No not really, I do actually have a couple of 16 bit programs that I use! )
  25. @jaclaz Which method are you using ? once files are patched do I need to copy paste them in the system32 folder ?
  26. It depends on what you want it to do: The options available are: So, if you type: winxppae.exe /4GB [ENTER] you will have the needed files patched to support a maximum of 4 GB AND a backup of them (before the patch is applied) if you type: winxppae.exe /ALL [ENTER] you will have the needed files patched to support unlimited RAM AND a backup of them (before the patch is applied) if you add after EITHER the /4GB OR the /ALL the /NB or /NOBACKUP (DO NOT do this) switch, you will have NOT the backup. jaclaz
  27. @jaclaz thanks for your input but I had already done that yesterday I did put the folder on the desktop so I only had to type >> cd desktop.... cd daniel..... I just wanted to know what I have to type once the black windows is open.
  1. Load more activity