Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. NTFS support in Win 98/SE/ME?

@TmEE it works for me too, just slow and others have had problems in the past. @jaclaz I ran some tests last night, Sysinternal/Winternals will disable the Paragon driver if both installed. One will have to delete the registry key to use the Paragon version. HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\NTFSFSD" This way people can use the Sysinternal/Winternals chkdsk tools with the Paragon driver.
  3. Today
  4. Updates installed before installing windows

They were probably integrated into Windows by Microsoft (into the Windows installation image you created with the media creation tool).
  5. windows 95 on gateway 600yg2

You should be able to complete Windows 95 Setup without a touchpad/mouse. The keyboard will do everything that is required during this phase. TAB to move around, Space to check boxes, Enter to continue. How did the touchpad show up under the Windows 7 Device Manager? Did it show up as a USB device or a HID-compliant device? If so, there's no way of getting it working under 95 without the messy Hybrid setup that rloew and I came up with that mixes files from 98 and some 98-betas along with some special drivers rloew wrote. If it's possible to use a PS/2 mouse with this laptop, it may make your life much easier to do so.
  6. Win 98: Explorer in another language??

Oh ok. My bad. I have already installed a USB "storage device" driver, so I'd rather install the OG file in case the new patched one conflicts with the driver I have. I did not know about the 256 color tray patch until today. I'll install it once I get the explorer working the way I want again.
  7. Do not post the same question to two different threads. While it may technically be "on-topic" for both threads, it is more on-topic in this one, and any discussion of the issue should not be split up all over the forum. Other post removed and MrMateczko's response moved here. Now to answer your question, not much has changed. MrMateczko covered everything I'm aware of. I have not been able to continue my "newer Intel chipset" testing beyond the X99 platform as of yet. Too many real life issues going on for the past few months, and no quick end in sight yet. But I WILL get back to it. Eventually...
  8. Win 98: Explorer in another language??

It is a Native USB Driver package but it contains the latest available version of EXPLORER.EXE among its files. It's been a long time since I have worked with NUSB package files but I believe one or more patches to EXPLORER.EXE were made for ease of use with removable drives. Most likely it also already includes the 256-Color Tray Icons patch, but if not you should apply this patch to the NUSB version.
  9. Win 98: Explorer in another language??

Can I use this one instead? http://www.dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color/ Apparently this adds 256 color compatibility to the Tray Icons as well...
  10. taokaizen Browser: "Advanced Chrome" Issue

@VistaLover Unfortunately, Advanced Chrome has a lot of bugs, I noticed this problem from the beginning with the Pepperflash plugin when the official Pepperflash plugin for Opera / Chromium from Adobe is installed. Therefore, the error solution from me, as the Pepperflash plugin in the Advanced Chrome folder firstly outdated and secondly leads to problems when the official plugin from Adobe is installed. Advanced Chrome works flawlessly with the Pepperflash plugin for Opera / Chromium from Adobe. Otherwise, if you have the necessary time you can try to report this error. There are some plugins that make problems in Advanced Chrome, these problems have not been resolved despite the message to the developer until today. Note: Due to a faulty program I would not dissect my system.
  11. Win 98: Explorer in another language??

Wow. Thanks! That's one quick and effective answer. So, correct me if I'm wrong but to install this in DOS mode, I need to type this command, right? (if the new explorer.exe is located in the root directory) COPY C:explorer.exe C:WINDOWS I'll backup the orignal file first in case something goes wrong. But yeah having the explorer in german isn't particularly great. I speak it but it just looks out of place. Don't really know what happened there. Must have downloaded a german version of .NET Framework or something... Edit: Hummm are you sure this is the right file? This looks to me as the Native USB Drivers?
  12. Win 98: Explorer in another language??

Assuming you want the latest French version of EXPLORER.EXE; http://www.mdgx.com/spx/NUSBFR.EXE Extract EXPLORER.EXE from this archive, using 7-Zip, or on another computer. Then simply replace EXPLORER.EXE in DOS mode.
  13. Hey there, I recently installed .NET Framework 2.0 and IE 5.5 on my Win 98SE machine and since then I noticed the file explorer was in a totally different language. Does anyone know what caused this and if that's somewhat reversible ? Can I manually re-install explorer.exe? Thanks!
  14. Win 98 PC: Restoring from old backups (*.qic)

Well it's been months now since I last posted here. In the end I had to buy a "new" hard drive because the CF card I had bought keeps my PC from posting at all. I couldn't even get to the BIOS loading screen. The adapter's fine apparently as I tested it in another machine. I think this has to do with the fact that new Sandisk CF cards use non-updatable firmware that basically tells the bus it's a removable storage media, something my mobo doesn't really support apparently... I've reinstalled everything and I am currently in the process of pimping out this PC with new-ish hardware. I have encountered another issue with my machine but since this doesn't concerns backups, I'll create another thread. See you there. ;-)
  15. NTFS support in Win 98/SE/ME?

I only use the Paragon stuff and I have yet to experience any issues with internal or external drives.
  16. Foce close programs on shutdown

Is that Windows 98? Try with an ATX shutdown: http://www.robvanderwoude.com/shutdown.php RUNDLL32 KRNL386.EXE,exitkernel Or use a program to execute something at shutdown, see here as an example: https://msfn.org/board/topic/44186-run-batch-scripts-on-shutdown/ or - maybe - something here: http://www.ericphelps.com/shutdown/index.htm may be of use. jaclaz
  17. Windows 7 - Drive Lettering

Actually you can (not while you are booted to it, of course, but you can actually change it while offline in such a way that at next boot it will have a different drive letter), but it equates to opening a large can of extremely lively worms. Though it can be done, it is far from being easy, let alone failproof, involving, besides editing (offline) the DosDevices keys in the Registry of the affected installed system, replacing thousands of hardcoded references in the Registry and heaven only knows how many hardcoded paths in .lnks, settings files and what not. jaclaz
  18. Basilisk52/UXP, Basilisk55/Moebius and FirefoxESR 52.x.x all use the Australis GUI, while PaleMoon/NewMoon[fork] use a pre-Fx29.0a1 GUI PaleMoon/NewMoon have integrated code borrowed from the Status-4-Evar Firefox XUL extension; in your NewMoon screenshot one can see you have disabled the native Status Bar! Menu Bar -> View -> Toolbars -> tick "Status Bar" then you'll be able to (pre-)view links there... If you don't want the native status bar to be always present but still want the link preview info, then Menu Bar -> Tools -> Status Bar Preferences -> Status -> General -> Links -> Show links in: and change the default ("Status Bar") to "Pop-up" ; then Menu Bar -> View -> Toolbars -> untick "Status Bar" (... but I'm sure all this info could be found easily with a google search, or palemoon forum search... )
  19. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

Hi all - Bit confused here. Just want to clarify one thing. What is the latest release of Skype for XP, that doesn't have any codecs removed? That is, full-featured. A link to the latest download would be appreciated. I have of Skype at the moment. Thanks.
  20. taokaizen Browser: "Advanced Chrome" Issue

@sdfox7 Thanks for your follow up/explanations I, for one, wouldn't do that, regardless of whether it's impacting AdvChrome or not, but everyone here is entitled to one's own free choice... That download comes with the extremely outdated PPAPI v21.0.0.213 (from Apr 6th 2016); does the browser still crash with only that specific version? More to the point, does the crash still occur with only a "pepflashplayer.dll" inside PepperFlash dir (and not a system32 PPAPI install)? You are correct and that detail did escape me ; presumably the developer was lazy and didn't recompile the .exe, although the all-important chrome.dll is of the correct version 54.20.6530.0; you can modify the version of chrome.exe to the correct string (52.15.5320.0 => 54.20.6530.0) using Resource Hacker If you and @heinoganda find this is an ongoing/reproducible XP issue when both the default PPAPI (inside AC's PepperFlash dir) and a system32 PPAPI are present, then, as suggested, better report it to the AdvChrome developer, else this issue will only linger... Best regards
  21. Office 2003 patches after SP3

In some cases, since Microsoft deleted the EXE files of some updates from their download servers, I have managed to obtain the MSP patches directly from Windows Update Catalog.
  22. Okay here are all Office 2003 Updates after SP3 including all security updates and non-security hotfixes by request. If the update is superseded by a newer update, the older one isn't included: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4li335a0vxchbd/Office 2003 Post SP3 Updates.7z?dl=0 Version numbers: MSO.dll 8405 Excel 11.8404.8405 Word 11.8411.8405 PowerPoint 11.8335.8405 Access 11.8321.8405 Publisher 11.8402.8405 OneNote 11.8165.8405 FrontPage 11.8339.8405 Visio 11.8323.8405 Project 11.3.2009.1108 InfoPath 11.8233.8405 Office XP Post SP3 patches: https://msfn.org/board/topic/158246-office-xp-patches-after-sp3/ Office 2000 Post SP3 patches: https://msfn.org/board/topic/150203-office-2000-patches-after-sp3/?do=findComment&comment=1009114 Office 97 Post SR-2 patches: https://msfn.org/board/topic/158257-office-97-patches-and-downloads-after-sr-2/?tab=comments#comment-1010001 If you want I can share privately (not via MSFN) the links to full Office 97 with SR-2 integrated and Office 95 7.0b. Since it is abandonware warez, won't post any links here.
  23. Please, send me the instructions, too!
  24. Where is that? I have Windows 10, and it's Start Menu is awesome!
  25. I found 30 or so updates installed on 22/11/2014. I downloaded from the media creation tool onto a usb stick and installed windows on 19/01/2018. How were these updates installed?
  26. ChrisPE - a PEBakery Team release

Complementary Scripts updated to v2.0 to make them compatible with new improvements on ChrisPE-Develop: Free Applications Pack containing 23 scripts with very useful applications. Proprietary Applications Pack containing 4 scripts for software you must own and provide by yourself and have the appropriate Licence from Author in order to be able to run them, this are: CalculatorPlus Ghost Ghost Explorer Acronis TrueImage 2018 Please read this before download. alacran From ChrisPE Team
  27. ChrisPE - a PEBakery Team release

[by "Misty"]: A Develop branch has been added to the ChrisPE project on github (see here). Main changes since the first update - Settings > Tweaks - option K] Font(s) added. This will currently add the segoeui.ttf font to the build - fixing an issue in Windows 10 based WinPE where italic fonts are displayed for icons and in other areas. Note - this has already been applied to the Master branch. Settings > Recommended - Network option removed from this script and moved to a seperate script (see below). Settings > Network - new script. This has been split from the Settings > Recommended script. Includes option to set the ComputerName. Enabling any of the options in this script will add Unattend.xml to the root of the \ChrisPE.Files\ISO.ROOT\ folder and will add an entry to run wpeinit.exe from winpeshl.ini. The unattend.xml file includes an entry for setting the default screen resolution to 1024x768. . This will probably not make any difference if using Windows 8 or newer sources, but should if Windows 6.1.7600/6.1.7601 source files are used as these sources default to low screen resolutions. Applications > TightVNC Server script added. This includes an option for automatically starting TightVNC Server during the WinPE boot process (automatically initializing the network). All Applications scripts can now be executed post build by using the Run Script button. Finalise > Subst - new script. Use to run subst to assign a virtual mount point for the media used to boot ChrisPE. Drivers > Drivers - new script. Experimental Driver integration support. Get WAIK Tools is used to download DISM - ensure that your firewall is configured to allow access to GWT.exe. In addition to the above, a new method has been introduced for adding program shortcuts for any applications that are not encluded in boot.wim - when the Include Program in boot.wim option is disabled in the Applications scripts. Shortcuts will now be added to the menu system used in the selected shell. The PEBakery Team
  1. Load more activity