Howto: Heavy slimmed down XP WITH functionality

Fridge-RaideR

rofl

im gonna have a hella time learning howto do unattended disk now

cause with a dvd burner, it feels wrong to use cd-rw's now, when i got 50 4X dvd-rw's sitting here, (was only $26 cad)

god that list is just huge, i didn't really take a good look til jeremy made a comment

wow, great work

Edited by gdogg

not sure

best thing is to know what your doing before removing anything

if you know what reg entries you can remove, then you'd also not need his list

other than as a way to save time

Gentlemen - this is VERY possible with Windows XP!

Don't use my Windows 2000 regcleaner, it will mess up XP (I had someone try once).

What you need to do...

Start, Run, Regedit

Find keys ON A FRESH INSTALL that are useless.

Tell me those values... email them to me. (Click on the profile, etc).

I will go into my XP virtual machine, and I will work on collecting key values for a remover.

Here's the thing... I'd like a partner or two to help split the work. It's a big registry, but like Jeremy says, with that much stuff out, the computer will be a bit faster and a few megs lighter (remember, the keys store values, so it's a LOT more than what you might think!)

If we have keys 1 through 100, I'd want to take keys 1-30, have a partner take 31-60, and have someone else take 61-100. That way work gets done faster.

I will write the remover. I need Registry savvy volunteers -- PM me-- and some time (after all I also do work on the HFSLIP and other projects, I have to balance my time :D )

Any takers? I need some experts and we can get the ball rolling on this as a side project. I don't use XP but I'd love to contribute to this thread just as defiance to nLite haters and defiance to Microsoft :thumbup

Gentlemen - this is VERY possible with Windows XP!

Don't use my Windows 2000 regcleaner, it will mess up XP (I had someone try once).

What you need to do...

Start, Run, Regedit

Find keys ON A FRESH INSTALL that are useless.

Tell me those values... email them to me. (Click on the profile, etc).

I will go into my XP virtual machine, and I will work on collecting key values for a remover.

Here's the thing... I'd like a partner or two to help split the work. It's a big registry, but like Jeremy says, with that much stuff out, the computer will be a bit faster and a few megs lighter (remember, the keys store values, so it's a LOT more than what you might think!)

If we have keys 1 through 100, I'd want to take keys 1-30, have a partner take 31-60, and have someone else take 61-100. That way work gets done faster.

I will write the remover. I need Registry savvy volunteers -- PM me-- and some time (after all I also do work on the HFSLIP and other projects, I have to balance my time :D )

Any takers? I need some experts and we can get the ball rolling on this as a side project. I don't use XP but I'd love to contribute to this thread just as defiance to nLite haters and defiance to Microsoft  :thumbup

An excellent initiative, a regcleaning guide coupled with a couple of batches or so...to bad I'm back to school today... :}

But I will stay tuned, maybe throw in a contribution or two if my modest level of expertise will allow so..

I miss PuntoMX... :(

Oh no... I've reached the end... of my roll of Graham crackers. Crap.

Hmm, what? Oh, I'd help out too, but I don't have much time and I'm not really sure of the method on doing it...

Edited by Jeremy

np

in less than a month, ill have my current project ready for use with others

but it will be lots of reading and testing to get it to work right for you, but thats why its gonna be in a month, so i can work out all the easy stuff, to make it easier for others to use

here is my boot.ini

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

gdogg where would your tweak go?

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB

test before and after, if it improves good if not dont use it

dont forget to remmove ntkrnlpa.exe first

test after using all your software @ bootup

as it does nothing to a softwarless/ first boot xp

Edited by gdogg