Does Service Pack 2 slow you down?

SiMoNsAyS

98 members have voted

1. 1. Does Service Pack 2 slow you down?

• Yes
    • Not sure
    • No

Which wins?

Service Pack 1 tallied 63 "wins" out of a total of 108 scores. Service Pack 2 took only 42 possibilities with the rest nullified by matching scores. It can be said that, on average, Windows XP Professional with only Service Pack 1 installed is faster 2/3 of the time. The table below is the sum of all resolutions for each category.

The test PC equipped with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 was an average of 0.5% faster than the same hardware with Service Pack 2 installed. The percentage difference between faster and slower is insignificantly small. Less than 2 or 3 percent in some benchmarks could be dismissed by most but when gamers are looking to squeeze every extra frame out of their machines...it may count.

Source

I only can find one problem on that review, they forgot to say that with SP1 you didn't have that better firewall, popup blocker and everytime you connect to Internet the Blaster virus will reboot your system :P

I thought on post this on technology news or general discussion section, but I find more interesting read your opinions.

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

The margin for error has to be greater than the 0.5% difference in performance they tallied up...so I'd call their theory bunk.

As for myself...SP2 doesn't hurt at all. If you negate the new "features" existence by disabling services and the like...then there's no loss.

Feigned said:

As for myself...SP2 doesn't hurt at all. If you negate the new "features" existence by disabling services and the like...then there's no loss.

The only thing SP2 brings that is good, in my opinion, are all of those hotfixes and updates, as for those "features"... well, i take everything off with nlite, so i dont know the diference at all

• 4 weeks later...

well i haven't seen anything noticable, it just made my setup faster :) and easier :)

after that i returned all my settings back to sp1 settings so firewall off, sec center off etc..) so it kindda stole my precious time bc i had to close all those stuff but after all nlite'd sp2 is faster :D

HECK NO IT DOESNT SLOW ME DOWN!! I currently have the following items:

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Mobo

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz o/c to 3.3GHz

1GB of RAM

120 Western Digital Hard Drive

Lite-On DVD Drive

Lite-On CD/DVD Burner

Thermaltake 480W Silent Purepower Power Supply

The wierd thing is that I'm only in high school....

im a geek. :thumbup

@craticy hey if u're thinking u're the only one or u're special or something i'm sorry but u're not :)

there are lots of geeks that are in high school, sorry pal! :D

ppl hack, crack, design webpages, program complex codes + lots of other things at your age.

not flaming u, just saying u're not unicorn :D

• 1 month later...