18 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I only use AVC1 or VP9 on YouTube

Are they somehow better? For me, they look pale, washed out, bright. Probably, because of my Titan oldie (made in Jan. 2013). But then again, H264 looks fine on it, please explain.

10 hours ago, Dixel said:

Are they somehow better? For me, they look pale, washed out, bright. Probably, because of my Titan oldie (made in Jan. 2013). But then again, H264 looks fine on it, please explain.

AV1 and VP9, both, smooth out stuff, H265 keeps more detail (8 bit), H264 is behind, trying also keep up. x265 (10 bit) is over-contrast. 

18 hours ago, Dixel said:

They? AVC1 = H264

I never noticed any weird artifacts, washing out, brightness or whatever with VP9 specifically though, certainly not in contrast with H264.

I only have H264 forced on XP backports of Chromium on XP because it's much slower with VP9 there, lots of frame dropping. VP9 seemed most balanced to me overall, so normally prefer that. Old desktop's CPU is too slow to run AV1 in decent resolution in a browser, so it's not used there. Though Raspberry Pi 5 can handle it OK up to 1080p @ 30FPS.

I'm mostly on Mozilla based browsers and noticed in the past, mostly due to messing with roytam1's forks, that their H264 software decoder seemed slightly less efficient than VP9, I don't recall exact details, must have been some performance hiccups, don't even recall if it was the same on official Pale Moon on officially supported OS, so there was that and I prefer to have choice above 1080p, so stayed with VP9 for YouTube.

8 hours ago, UCyborg said:

They? AVC1 = H264

In standard (not internal developer coding) names it's either VC1 ot AVC (without the "1"). Or it's simple to confuse with AV1, then.

What Are HEVC and AVC? H.265 and H.264 Video Codecs Explained

HEVC = H.265

AVC = H.264

Details:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reference/h264-h265-hevc-codec-definition

Posted (edited)

In terminology used by web browsers, it's avc1. Ask your browser if it canPlayType('video/mp4; codecs="avc.42E01E"') or rather canPlayType('video/mp4; codecs="avc1.42E01E"').

Anyone that experimented with YouTube is almost surely familiar with stats for nerds and "c" in avc1 abbreviation is distinct enough IMO to tell it apart from AV1, or should I have referred to the latter as av01 or AV01 for consistency.:buehehe:

spacer.png

Edited by UCyborg

On 5/18/2024 at 5:45 PM, Sampei.Nihira said:

Always the usual advice,from a former professor who used XP until the year 2021 :yes::

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/what-is-your-security-setup-these-days.111264/page-1637#post-2979834

Reduce the number of extensions you use.
If you use too many extensions all the possible benefits of your customizations will be cancelled out and/or will be greatly reduced:

https://www.debugbear.com/blog/chrome-extensions-website-performance

Also an article today on Ghacks:

https://www.ghacks.net/2024/05/20/chrome-extensions-may-slow-down-browsing-significantly/

On 5/20/2024 at 8:56 AM, UCyborg said:

In terminology used by web browsers, it's avc1.

Shouldn't they be identified by the codec in the browser? HEVC - V_MPEGH, H264 - V-MPEG4, respectively.

I mean, AVC is format, not codec. Or no?

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Maybe it's both. Do you (en)code the video or format it? :dubbio:

No, those are my screencaps from MPC-HC (streaming youtube, but then again, I get the same stats if I simply download them with a saving extension in Thorium.

17 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Browsers don't get streams in containers

This is understood, wasn't sure what you meant by "I mean, AVC is format, not codec." What did you mean?