17 hours ago, 66cats said:

This is understood, wasn't sure what you meant by "I mean, AVC is format, not codec." What did you mean?

MPC-HC claims it's a "format", while V_MPEG4 (H264) is a proper codec name, take a closer look at the posted screenshot above.

Posted (edited)

I don't know if this has already been mentioned here. Installing and removing extensions works perfectly in Thorium under Windows XP. Unfortunately, updating extensions does not. :no: In my installation of Thorium SSE2 122.0.6261.168 WINXP x32, it does not matter whether the update is done by dragging and dropping the CRX file or by unpacking the extension (in developer mode). Both methods do not work as expected in a standard installation of Thorium, at least for me. :no: Therefore, I changed some settings and installed the Chromium Web Store extension. Now, I can update my extensions simply by dragging and dropping the CRX file. And what I was always missing in Thorium, the Chromium Web Store badge additionally shows a red number indicating that updates are available. A click on the badge and then on the name of the offered extension update leads to the download of the latest version, which of course has still to be installed manually, based on my changed settings in Thorium:thumbup BTW, that's a very convenient method to directly archive all extension updates as I always do. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Is that the Web Store 0.2 extension?
That has always been there on my installation of Thorium, I've never installed it myself.
I always assumed it was bundled with Thorium as standard.
It doesn't seem to be possible to disable it (the switch is greyed out).
:dubbio:

52 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Is that the Web Store 0.2 extension?
That has always been there on my installation of Thorium, I've never installed it myself.
I always assumed it was bundled with Thorium as standard.
It doesn't seem to be possible to disable it (the switch is greyed out).

No. It is the Chromium Web Store extension in the latest version 1.5.4.2
 from here: https://github.com/NeverDecaf/chromium-web-store :)

Ah, right.
FWIW, when I click the update button on the extensions page on my Thorium, it does say that it's updating.
Whether it actually is updating is another matter of course, but there's no error messages.
:)

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Ah, right.
FWIW, when I click the update button on the extensions page on my Thorium, it does say that it's updating.
Whether it actually is updating is another matter of course, but there's no error messages.
:)

In Thorium SSE2 122.0.6261.168 WINXP x32 under Windows XP, there is no update button on an extension page when an update is available. Updates of extensions are not shown on extension pages, and a manual update does not work. At least in my installation. That's why I installed the Chromium Web Store. I added one flag, switched an internal flag and now, updating works. :P

PS: On an extension page, I can only see an Add or, if the extension has already been installed via the Chrome Web Store, an Remove button but never an Update button. :no:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I'm using the SSE4 version of Thorium 122.0.6261.171, so maybe that's the reason that we're not seeing the same thing.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I'm using the SSE4 version of Thorium 122.0.6261.171

Thorium 122.0.6261.171? Where is such a version available? :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thorium 122.0.6261.171? Where is such a version available?

... It's no longer publicly available :P ; 't was shared with Dave by the Thorium maintainer himself, as a test build, for Dave to test whether one of the issues he was facing had been cured by that specific Thorium build :dubbio:; the download link to that test build (inside a GitHub issue tracker comment) has now expired...

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... It's no longer publicly available :P ; 't was shared with Dave by the Thorium maintainer himself, as a test build, for Dave to test whether one of the issues he was facing had been cured by that specific Thorium build :dubbio:; the download link to that test build (inside a GitHub issue tracker comment) has now expired...

What a service! :P

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 6:49 PM, AstroSkipper said:

I don't know if this has already been mentioned here. Installing and removing extensions works perfectly in Thorium under Windows XP. Unfortunately, updating extensions does not. :no: In my installation of Thorium SSE2 122.0.6261.168 WINXP x32, it does not matter whether the update is done by dragging and dropping the CRX file or by unpacking the extension (in developer mode). Both methods do not work as expected in a standard installation of Thorium, at least for me. :no: Therefore, I changed some settings and installed the Chromium Web Store extension. Now, I can update my extensions simply by dragging and dropping the CRX file. And what I was always missing in Thorium, the Chromium Web Store badge additionally shows a red number indicating that updates are available. A click on the badge and then on the name of the offered extension update leads to the download of the latest version, which of course has still to be installed manually, based on my changed settings in Thorium:thumbup BTW, that's a very convenient method to directly archive all extension updates as I always do. :P

23 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

It is the Chromium Web Store extension in the latest version 1.5.4.2
 from here: https://github.com/NeverDecaf/chromium-web-store :)

As far as I have tested until now, the Chromium Web Store extension works really great in Thorium. It indeed allows adding extensions from Chrome Web Store on ungoogled Chromium versions and also enables the extension updating by dragging and dropping. Now, I always get an extension update notification on the Chromium Web Store badge when extension updates are available and can immediately archive the downloaded update files. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, chermany4ever said:

In all honesty, I don't know if I have the knowledge to configure Thorium exactly for my machine but tried in Settings all the friendlier options and didn't get it to work much better, was still pretty unstable. Another thing that didn't convince me is that I got used to the fact that with Serpent the cache is stored in memory -not on disk- but between Thorium folder and the cache it ate more than 1gb! Too much for me for a program that works quite unstable. I'll pass for now, although of course I recognise the effort.

My Thorium browser needs round about 260 MB for one opened tab and eleven enabled extensions. In my opinion, that's really low for a modern Chrome browser running under Windows XP:P And don't forget my hardware is very old and weak, Pentium 4 single-core CPU and only 1.5 GB SD-RAM! Here is a screenshot:

Thorium-RAM-Usage.png

Personally, I can't confirm that this browser is unstable. Thorium never crashed here and is very stable. And the page loading behaviour is much better than at the beginning of my test phase. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)

@chermany4ever You can't configure much in Thorium's Settings to improve its performance and running behaviour under Windows XP. What I actually meant was to change other things like updating the Chrome XP API Adapter, disabling animations and media autoplay, using a mobile user agent, setting suitable internal and external flags and so on. I did that, and now, this browser is running much better than before. :P

PS: Also very important is a well-configured content blocker. Yesterday, I had to buy some articles on Amazon. Among other browsers, I also tested this website in Thorium. If uBlock Origin is not well-configured, the Amazon website does not load that fluently as it should. At the moment, I use uBlock Origin Lite as it consumes far fewer resources in Thorium and seems to be better suited to this browser. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content