Posted (edited)

@roytam1 Thank you for the new releases. BOC/Mailnews (and bnavigator too) link doesn't work, says "404 Not Found", please, would you fix it?

Edited by modnar

Google Search adds a “web” filter, because it is no longer focused on web results

Anyone already got hit by the new AI results on Google Search? :realmad:

Workaround: add `&udm=14` to the URL.

So, I made a new entry in `$profiledirectory$\searchplugins` to add it to the search bar.

(with the help of the extension `Add to Search Bar` (link).

google-search-web.xml.7z :)

spacer.png

I only use Google Search as fallback, but good to know.

19 hours ago, roytam1 said:

Notice: twitter.com is now migrated to x.com, so you will need to copy twitter's UAO to x.com

x.com redirects to twitter.com here.

Is it supposed to work with UXP browsers? I only get "something went wrong" page, nothing useful in the console.

Maybe it's for the best, I prefer not to touch anything associated with Musk, LOL.

2 hours ago, modnar said:

@roytam1 Thank you for the new releases. BOC/Mailnews (and bnavigator too) link doesn't work, says "404 Not Found", please, would you fix it?

forgot to upload them, should be fixed

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

I only use Google Search as fallback, but good to know.

Is it supposed to work with UXP browsers? I only get "something went wrong" page, nothing useful in the console.

Maybe it's for the best, I prefer not to touch anything associated with Musk, LOL.

it refuse to redirect and breaks almost all twitter links, if you don't have a "proper" UAO for x.com

if you want media to be autoplayed, use a Chrome based UAO, otherwise a kind-of new Firefox based UAO is needed.

Edited by roytam1

Latest PM 27 doesn't start anymore - also with a new profile. However, I haven't tested on a clean XPSP3 system. It works with the previous Xul.dll.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, schwups said:

Latest PM 27 doesn't start anymore - also with a new profile. However, I haven't tested on a clean XPSP3 system. It works with the previous Xul.dll.

got a crash here. need to debug whats going wrong here.

EDIT: the last rev cause the crash, need to decompose it and test each change later.

EDIT2: the last change in the combined commit causes the issue, while merging new changes fixed the problem so no revert is done.

Edited by roytam1

Posted (edited)

From some webpages I visited - this new version of Serpent 52.9 (5-18) is really snappy compared to previous (5-11). Mighty fine.

Edited by modnar
added ver.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Probably contains word it doesn't like, for example you can't mention the notorious config boot configuration file that was used pre-Vista, but it's far from the only word. I recently couldn't post normally in Thorium forum until I reworded what I was trying to say.

You'd think if that were the problem, the forum could at least be a little bit less opaque and just say, "you can't say '<whatever>' here!"

There were no swear words, so next time it happens, I'll just post a screen shot and let someone else explain to me what I said that was 403 forbidden.

BTW, on my Chase.com issues, I discovered that, sometimes, it does work in Serpent, although that's rare on my home PC. I now suspect Chase has some kind of timeout, and since my home PC is slower than my work PC, the timeout rarely happens at work. (So now Chase is trying to require not only a modern browser, but also a modern-enough PC to run its Javascript-addled site quickly enough for its taste!)

Edited by Mathwiz

On 5/18/2024 at 4:36 AM, UCyborg said:

Twitter/x works very well for me with Serpent 55.0.

In about:config I added this string:

general.useragent.override.x.com

Then overrode with this user agent string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0

Serpent 52 same thing but it doesn't render as well as 55.0, which is has become far better overall than the older version. 

Posted (edited)

OK, now things have gotten beyond ridiculous. Chase.com is one thing, but now I can't even open the Micro$oft Update Catalog in Serpent 55! It starts, but gets stuck in the "loading" state; never finishes (not even with a blank screen). User agent overrides appear to have no effect, although I obviously haven't tried every possibility.

Thing is, I can open M$ Update Catalog even in 360EE, so it doesn't require a particularly new browser to load it.

Edit: Never mind. M$ update catalog loads just fine in a clean profile. (FWIW, Chase.com works more reliably in a clean profile too, although "fill login" is still broken in Serpent. I don't even need my StructuredClone polyfill any more!) Obviously one of my add-ons or about:config tweaks is interfering.

Someday I'll learn to check with a clean profile before posting an issue.

Edited by Mathwiz

Posted (edited)

You have to log in to view that forum. Could you summarize for those of us unwilling to do that?

But even without reading the above, my theory is, Tobin trained them to hate us - how dare we presume to do anything differently than them - don't we understand they're perfect and all their decisions, including refusing to support XP/Vista, are correct? And that feeling lingers, even with Tobin out of the picture.

Edited by Mathwiz

On 5/15/2024 at 3:19 AM, freakedenough said:

I am bad at searching in 5 Threads with 200 pages each. Did anyone try to get HVC decoded using Basilisk Serpent 52 on Vista?

Austrian Broadcasting Company uses DRM protected webstreams for live TV https://tvthek.orf.at/livestreams

Even if we got HEVC pass-thru working (on PCs with hardware HEVC decoding) it wouldn't help. You'd need the newest Widevine version to watch DRM-protected streams. No realistic chance of that happening on a browser targeting older OSes.