Latest-ish MPC-HC ported for XP

tirigliu

57 minutes ago, we3fan said:

Thanks.

How much RAM Memory you have?

You have 2 RAM sticks? Are they same brand and same size?

How much Virtual memory paging file you use?

4 identical 512 MB strips

O MB of virtual memory :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, IXOYE said:

4 identical 512 MB strips

Thanks, I appreciate it.

So all 4 RAM sticks are same brand / manufacturer? OK.

I am just trying to find out why I get BSOD on my XP SP2 with MPC-HC 2.1.2.18 ... incompatible RAM or driver maybe.

When I start MPC-HC 2.1.2.18 the first time after PC Restart - there is no problem, but when I start it the second time - BSOD hmm.

On 1/11/2024 at 2:37 PM, we3fan said:

With MPC-HC 2.1.2.18 on XP SP2 I get BSOD with c000021a Error.

When you get a BSOD with that error code, what does it say? Turn off "Automatically restart" option under "System failure" at Startup and Recovery settings in System Properties.

See this link also:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/performance/troubleshoot-stop-0xc000021a-error

Edited by mina7601

On 1/13/2024 at 5:32 PM, mina7601 said:

When you get a BSOD with that error code, what does it say?

Here is the full BSOD message it shows when I start MPC-HC 2.1.2.18 on XP SP2 the second time after PC Restart:

AADYJ.png

Edited by we3fan

3 hours ago, we3fan said:

Here is the full BSOD message it shows when I start MPC-HC 2.1.2.18 the second time after PC Restart:

AADYJ.png

I had bsod c0000005 with some software when my HDD (Seagate) was dying out.

3 hours ago, we3fan said:

Here is the full BSOD message it shows when I start MPC-HC 2.1.2.18 on XP SP2 the second time after PC Restart:

AADYJ.png

Try to do a disk check. Run chkdsk /r /f (in Run or Command Prompt) and type Y, then press enter. 

There was an issue with BSOD on old builds of Windows XP. It was caused by a manifest resource embedded in the exe. But it was on SP1. I don't recall if SP2 was affected. I solved it by installing a more recent copy of sxs.dll  ( read KB921337 KB943232 )

https://msfn.org/board/topic/171473-recent-software-can-crash-xp-sp1/

Maybe you have a virus that causes a crash of csrss.exe, or it could be related to Data Execution Prevention.

Edited by j7n

But your status error code is (0x77751D24, 0x013AF5B8), while @we3fan's is (0x7c9106c3 0x0052ec24). I'm not eventually sure if putting a new sxs.dll will solve his status error code as well, but he can try his luck, maybe it could also solve it, only if my suggestion about running chkdsk didn't make a difference for him.

I also searched @we3fan's error code, but it only gave 1 matching link: https://www.techguy.org/threads/stop-c000021a-fatal-system-error.1122123/

Edited by mina7601

46 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

my suggestion about running chkdsk didn't make a difference for him

This is the worst suggestion to follow in cases where the disk is failing. Especially with /r parameter, which is pointless if you're dealing with bad sectors, they will only spread faster since it's a physical problem. Even /f alone can be destructive in some cases, you can turn bootable installation into unbootable one.

2 hours ago, j7n said:

or it could be related to Data Execution Prevention

c0000005 means STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION, very generic on its own, simply means the code in process that crashed tried to access virtual address that doesn't exist / where nothing is mapped.

3 hours ago, j7n said:

KB921337

Good hint...I got old XP SP2 CD, but I forgot the Product Key for it years ago, so can't finish the install to test...@we3fan may try and test this mpc-hc.exe instead of the original.

MPC-HC 2.1.2.18 compat fix.7z

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

This is the worst suggestion to follow in cases where the disk is failing. Especially with /r parameter, which is pointless if you're dealing with bad sectors, they will only spread faster since it's a physical problem. Even /f alone can be destructive in some cases, you can turn bootable installation into unbootable one.

<OT>

I didn't know that and I usually DO run chkdsk and I DO have bad sectors (Seagate) and I was under the impression chkdsk would "remap" the bad sectors; so am I (then) making them spread faster this way? I had no idea and I usually do /f/x/r when I had the time as it takes hours to go through 698GB. I'm actually shocked my computer is even still working at all given its age and the amount of "brown outs" its suffered. Mister Blobfish and this Dell 745 have been married for quite some time now and I can't let go Lol...

spacer.png

<OT>

Edited by XPerceniol

@XPerceniol
/r probably doesn't try rewriting them, which is necessary to trigger remapping, it should mark them as bad in NTFS for OS to avoid them in the future. But it takes forever and you often do not want to stress disk with it, especially if you haven't got the data off yet. Maybe some people get lucky with spare sectors, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by UCyborg

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I don't know about that, but I have ran chkdsk since a long time (though, these days, I don't do chkdsk), and it always restored Windows to its perfectly normal state.

Usually the remapping will be done by the hard disk internally. The weak sectors will go into pending, then come out again. How unlikely that an error would crash the system this way instead of corrupting another piece of data. A read error would be indicated in the Event Viewer.

On 1/14/2024 at 3:06 PM, we3fan said:

AADYJ.png

When a BSOD occurs in my Windows XP system, the very first thing I do is to analyse the associated crash dump file via WinDbg which is a multipurpose debugger for the Microsoft Windows computer operating system, distributed by Microsoft. The blue BSOD screen itself is not really meaningful. nimportequoi.gif WinDbg can identify all the files involved in the crash, in particular faulty drivers or modules from third-party providers, and has always helped me a lot in the past. However, I very rarely have BSODs in my systems. But with the help of such analyses, for example, I found out during my last BSOD that WiseVector StopX collided with 360Chrome, which immediately led to a solution. There is also this excellent site https://www.jasik.de/shutdown/stop_fehler.htm with information on almost all stop codes with help and more details. However, it is a German site, but the linked MSDN articles are in English. Apart from that, every page can be translated, of course. albert.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content