ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.2044 rebuild 2

Is it GUI fonts or web site fonts that you are wanting to be different?

If web site fonts  --
   https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/453435-%E5%85%A8%E5%B1%80%E8%8B%B9%E6%96%B9/code
   https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/419363-%E5%85%A8%E5%B1%80%E5%BE%AE%E8%BD%AF%E9%9B%85%E9%BB%91/code
   https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/419362-%E5%85%A8%E5%B1%80%E6%80%9D%E6%BA%90%E9%BB%91%E4%BD%93/code

If GUI fonts - Display Properties -> Appearance -> Advanced -> Message Box - font, size, bold, and italic all work, I have not tried to get the color setting to work - 360Chrome must be closed when applying these changes  --
image.thumb.png.7cc558b9921632f79c48364b88b2c296.png

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

On 11/24/2023 at 7:43 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I personally play everything at 480p.  And the very RARE times that I select 720p or even 1080p, THERE IS NO VIDEO DIFFERENCE.  At least very rarely!

I can't agree with there being no difference. I rarely encounter videos shot with really poor camera, 480p is just blurry unless you're watching on a very small screen or inside a small window.

Regarding performance, my default go-to quality is 1080p @ 60 FPS, if available. No Chromium on XP can do that here (lots of frames dropped), Firefox based browser is always preferred. UXP based browsers can play them smoothly, also the ones for XP, though you could get stutters when browser gets "crapped up" from other sites.

Though even on Windows 10, Chromium stutters here with 60 FPS (both 720p and 1080p, a bit less with former). Not constantly, but enough for it to be noticeable. Firefox is OK. Interestingly, the stutters are there also with AVC1 codec, which is decodable on my GPU, but I normally just go with VP9 since my CPU can handle it and it's technically more sophisticated codec.

On 11/24/2023 at 7:43 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

And the FUNNY thing about YouTube is the GREAT LENGTHS its "userbase" will go to make it "tolerable".

I find various YouTube "front-ends" to peg CPU or RAM much MUCH higher than just "regular" YouTube - yet folks will still swear by the use of those "front-ends".

Can't say I personally went any great lengths for YouTube, I tried Invidious and Piped, but they have issues when it comes to core functionality regarding playback, so just use few extensions and scripts at most for YouTube itself. Though I have ImprovedTube on Chromium/Firefox, I only changed a very small subset of settings.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

I have ImprovedTube on Chromium/Firefox

I haven't tried that one yet.

YouTube really isn't my thing - not by a LLOOONNNGG shot.

I kind of "don't get it", to be perfectly honest.  It is nice for background NOISE when at work, but why do I need anything higher than 480p when it's there for the NOISE and NOT the video ???

When I want to watch a MOVIE, the LAST thing I run to is a phone, laptop, tablet, or desktop computer.

Not even the computer I have that runs on a 4K 55" television's HDMI because that 55" television also has a Roku on a different HDMI input.  Though to be fair, I think the Roku's output is only 1080p.

So no, to each their own, of course, but nope, I'll never "get" why anyone would use YouTube to watch anything of resolution-importance.

But again, "to each their own".  :cool:

I guess I would think that all these people that play 1080p YouTube videos on XP-era hardware would have FRIED that hardware by now, just way too much to be asking of that hardware (in my opinion).

20 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Unfortunately, this is not a solution as it does not work perfectly. 
Here are two images with edge smoothing activated in Windows and without.
With edge smoothing activated, all fonts of all web pages are displayed nicely.

But I don't want edge smoothing in Windows.
360Chrome has to adopt this setting from Windows.
Is there a start parameter or setting for this?

With edge smoothing:mit.jpg

Without edge smoothing:ohne.jpg

Edited by Anbima

Okay, I can replicate.  (for reference: https://everydrop-counts.org/ml )

I assume that you also have these ugly fonts at chrome://flags/ - correct?

If yes, that you have these ugly fonts both on web pages that you visit and at chrome://flags then the issue is Roboto font-family.

This font-family is hard-coded in chrome.dll and it is easily replaced with arial but you would still need a Tampermonkey/Stylus type of fix to replace Roboto on web sites that you visit.

26 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

This font-family is hard-coded in chrome.dll and it is easily replaced with arial but you would still need a Tampermonkey/Stylus type of fix to replace Roboto on web sites that you visit.

How should I do this with Tampermonkey?
Do you have a code for it?

1 hour ago, Anbima said:

How should I do this with Tampermonkey?
Do you have a code for it?

This works for me at https://everydrop-counts.org/ml (but it will not fix the Roboto font used in chrome://flags or Tampermonkey's own GUI) -

// ==UserScript==
// @name -- Replace Font
// @version 0.1
// @include *
// ==/UserScript==

var elementList = document.getElementsByTagName('*');
    for (var i = elementList.length - 1; i >= 0; i--) {
        var elementItem = elementList;
        var style = getComputedStyle(elementItem, '');
            elementItem.style.fontFamily = style.fontFamily.replace(/Roboto/i, 'Arial');

}

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

If you wish to disable Roboto font in Tampermonkey's own GUI -

1)  Chrome -> User Data -> Default -> Extensions -> [Tamerpermonkey 32char folder] -> [Tamermonkey version folder] -> style.css  >>>  REPLACE font-family:"Roboto" with font-family:"Arial"

2)  Chrome -> User Data -> Default -> Extensions -> [Tamerpermonkey 32char folder] -> [Tamermonkey version folder] -> style.css  >>>  REPLACE @font-face{font-family:"LocalRoboto" with @font-face{font-family:"DISABLED-Roboto"

9 hours ago, UCyborg said:

UXP based browsers can play them smoothly, also the ones for XP, though you could get stutters when browser gets "crapped up" from other sites.

Though even on Windows 10, Chromium stutters here with 60 FPS (both 720p and 1080p, a bit less with former). Not constantly, but enough for it to be noticeable. Firefox is OK. Interestingly, the stutters are there also with AVC1 codec, which is decodable on my GPU, but I normally just go with VP9 since my CPU can handle it and it's technically more sophisticated codec.

In my set up 360chrome plays smoothly too. I ceased forcing using AVC1, and that stopped the stuttering, even at 1080 with 60 fps. I like AVC1 better (probably old habits, and relatively good GPUs), but, something has to give.

As per YT getting "crapped out" from other sites, yeah. For normal use, I run YT in a profile made for social media, while browsing "normal" on a debloated, safer and more private browser/profile.   

Edited by dmiranda

On 11/24/2023 at 3:43 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I personally dislike using YouTube as some form of a "barometer" to gauge whether a web browser is "good" or not, whether an old computer is "good" or not, et cetera.

And sure, nowadays I am on YouTube daily at work for "background noise".

For background music, when I want to move beyond my comfort zone I prefer to use YT via last.fm, which allows me to expand my collection (which I prefer to listen with musicbee or wynil). But I watch news on YT, and now and then try a playlist, specially on party times, where my taste doesn't fit the audience.

Now, for testing/tweaking a browser/profile I use YT, FB and GG to see how it behaves with such bloated and heavy bricks: if it can render these sites well, it will render most sites too. That doesn't mean that a browser is good if it renders these sites well. It simply means that it can handle them, and is good for social media. But we have already discussed that. 

Edited by dmiranda

12 hours ago, UCyborg said:

480p is just blurry unless you're watching on a very small screen or inside a small window.

Regarding performance, my default go-to quality is 1080p @ 60 FPS, if available.

I agree, although I think it's important to note that the biggest difference is between 480p ("ED") and 720p ("HD").

Going from 720p up to 1080p ("FHD") isn't as noticeable, and going from there to 2160p ("4K") is even less noticeable unless you have a really big screen or you sit really close to the screen you have.

But while each increase in resolution gives less noticeable results, it requires a greater increase in your download speed and/or processing power (for those more efficient codecs like AV1). So you have to expend ever-greater effort for ever-diminishing returns.

For me personally, the cutoff point is 1080p, but I can certainly see someone being perfectly happy with 720p or even 480p.

That said, I can see an advantage of having a 4K display even if I don't bother watching 4K video. Both 720p and 1080p scale up to a 4K screen smoothly.

17 hours ago, Dave-H said:

4K YouTube struggles a bit on my system, but 1080p is fine.
:yes:

Thanks, it's the same for me. I've just come across Magic Actions for YouTube™

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/magic-actions-for-youtube/abjcfabbhafbcdfjoecdgepllmpfceif/related

Is this one good? Safe to use?