Supermium

10 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

As did I.

Strike 1  --  my Chase credit card web site could not work in XP  ---  I cancelled my credit card to keep XP alive and kicking.
Strike 2  --  my water billpay web site could not work in XP  ---  I ditched NM28 and stuck with 360Chrome for a few years.
Strike 3  --  my checking account web site could not work in XP  ---  I bought a "burner phone" with NO PHONE SERVICE and just use the checking account app over home wi-fi and "burner phone OS".
Strike 4  --  "burner phone" became too much of a hassle as I "hate, hate, hate" mobile phones  ---  upgraded primary computer to Win10 and 360Chrome will work for checking account in Win10 but not in XP.
Strike 5  --  checking account no longer works on Win10 + 360Chrome  ---  now all home computers run Win10 + Ungoogled Chromium v114.

Strike 6 -- DRM Widevine is no more working on XP, go to W7 for a short time then W10.

Off-topic, but I still use XP because I like it!
:D
I can always go over to Windows 10 on my machine if I need to do something which I can't do in XP.

Now having Supermium means that I no longer have to reboot into 10 because I have a problem with a website in 360Chrome, which is good, and I still almost can't believe that a browser based on Chromium 112 will actually run at all on XP, despite its issues!
I hope to be able to continue like that for as long as possible.
:yes:

22 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Chromium 112 based Supermium has no compatibility problems

12 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

a browser based on Chromium 112 will actually run at all on XP

Hi Dave :) ; I thought you made a typo the previous time :P , but since you referenced it a second time now, it's actually Chromium 122 the latest public release of Supermium is based on ;) ... 

Cheers, and many regards to the UK! :cool: 

Thanks, oops yes my mistake (twice!)
The version of Superium I'm using is actually based on Chromium 121!
I haven't updated to the latest 122 version as yet.
Cheers, Dave.

13 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Off-topic, but I still use XP because I like it!
I can always go over to Windows 10 on my machine if I need to do something which I can't do in XP.

Now having Supermium means that I no longer have to reboot into 10 because I have a problem with a website in 360Chrome, which is good, and I still almost can't believe that a browser based on Chromium 112 will actually run at all on XP, despite its issues!
I hope to be able to continue like that for as long as possible.
:yes:

<OT>

I also like my XP desktop computers (I enjoy the control over the OS) and will likely run them into the ground until I can't use them anymore (Dell 745 OptiPlex and Dell Dimension 3000); so I'll likely hang on to XP so long as there are browsers such as Supermium and Mypal68 (My default browser)  - I think we'll have to replace 360 soon when that browser is no longer useful and the last Supermium was much better than the previous version and I think it will improve. 360 Chrome served us well so I can't complain and I know all good things come to an end.

<OT>

Edited by XPerceniol

18 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks, oops yes my mistake (twice!)
The version of Superium I'm using is actually based on Chromium 121!
I haven't updated to the latest 122 version as yet.
Cheers, Dave.

I'm curious, what's preventing you from updating to the latest version? I know that "newer isn't better", but in this case with Supermium, it is actually the opposite, meaning that newer is better.

I just haven't bothered to do it!
If everything is known to be OK with the 122 version, I will probably do it.
Do we have a link to the right version for XP?
Presumably it's just a matter of over-writing the old files, as there is no installer IIRC.
:)

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

as there is no installer IIRC

Not that it matters much, but 122 setup.exe actually works on XP. 

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

OK, so Superium 122, and now Thorium 122.
Which is the one to go for?
:dubbio:

I myself have not compared/contrasted.  All I do know through my own testing is that Supermium pegs my last remaining XP's CPU at 100% quite often!

To the point of walking away from the computer for three minutes until it becomes responsive again.

Will Thorium do the same?  No clue, should know by this weekend or so.