Supermium

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I will not engage in this FIGHT.

So don't! But who's fighting whom? I missed. I'm having a polite conversation (I simply pretend you're polite, too).

EDIT: I again ask everyone to create a pleasant atmosphere for win32 to appear!

Edited by D.Draker

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The file may be NAMED "vulkan", that doesn't imply that is its SOLE purpose for existence.

That's easy to check with various available (free and simple) tools.

On 2/3/2024 at 8:43 PM, VistaLover said:

... But these two are supposed to really make a difference (i.e. considerably reduce RAM usage on XP) ONLY where the VC++2015-2019 redistributable (the last XP-compatible one was v14.28.29213.0) is already installed ;) :

I have 64-bit versions rebased_dlls.zip and on WinXP 64-bit Supermium x64 I don't see the difference in using RAM. VC++ 2015-2019 14.24.28127

Edited by reboot12

@ED_Sln

OK, Supermium x64 works on WinXP x64 but has disadvantages - I test on ThinkPad X61, C2D, 4GB RAM, HDD:

• does not start the first time only the second
  • it starts for a long time, grinding the hard disk (I have HDD not SSD)
  • it consists of too much RAM
    7 tabs > ~2.06GB RAM
    Serpent 52 > 7 tabs > 680MB

P.S. I have a pagefile disabled because I have 4GB RAM but apparently a Supermium requires a pagefile:

[0217/134306.984:ERROR:main_dll_loader_win.cc(112)] Failed to load Chrome DLL from C:\Program Files\Supermium\121.0.6167.81\chrome.dll: The paging file is too small for this operation to complete. (0x5AF)

Edited by reboot12

18 minutes ago, reboot12 said:

does not start the first time only the second

I can also replicate this.  Does not start first time but does the second.  But this repeats after each and every reboot or hibernate.  First start is a fail, every start from second onward is fine.

30 minutes ago, reboot12 said:
  • does not start the first time only the second
  • it starts for a long time, grinding the hard disk (I have HDD not SSD)
  • it consists of too much RAM

1. Some systems have this problem but not all, can't figure out what the cause is yet.

2. New versions of Chrome optimize for SSD, so it takes a long time to start on HDD, defragmentation speeds it up a bit, but it's still far away from the startup speed on SSD.

3. Memory consumption is relatively small, depends on the amount of RAM, for example on a netbook with 1GB of memory after startup Chrome uses 300MB, but on a computer with 4GB of memory already 500MB. It also strongly depends on the number of installed extensions, for example one uBlock Origin uses 100MB of RAM. I tested on a similar computer, C2D E6700 4GB RAM, XP x64, 32 and 64 bit version of Supermium. 32 bit version is even a bit faster, but memory consumption is a bit less, so it is not necessary to use 64 bit version on x64 OS.

Just a couple more observations about Supermium on 32 bit XP.

The GUI font looks a bit rough, I don't know if that can be improved, but it's usable.
The good thing is that it happily opens the sites that 360Chome won't now render!

I had a bit of a laugh when I came to add an image to a post here, to see this -

Clipboard-2.thumb.jpg.f5b7a8127fb19da3cc2d3b280889c794.jpg

The file open dialogue looks like something from a 16-bit Windows 98 program!
It doesn't work either.
Drag and drop does work.

The browser is rather slow opening, and a bit slow in use.
I won't be abandoning 360Chrome quite yet, but it's still great to have a browser on XP which will open the sites that 360Chrome now has trouble with.
Supermium used my 360Chome profile files absolutely fine, which was a big bonus!
:yes:

1 hour ago, reboot12 said:

P.S. I have a pagefile disabled because I have 4GB RAM but apparently a Supermium requires a pagefile:

pagefile should not be disabled regardless the amount of RAM available

I'm not sure what got you thinking otherwise with only 4GB of RAM.... 

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Does not start first time but does the second.  But this repeats after each and every reboot or hibernate. 

the Arctic Foxie builds sometimes act this way but sometimes just doesn't

I have never used the hibernate mode I simply put it to sleep. (standby)

https://windowsreport.com/shut-down-pc-every-night/

29 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

pagefile should not be disabled regardless the amount of RAM available

Not true - this is what only some programs require, e.g. Adobe Photoshop or Supermium, and if we have a lot of RAM, you can turn off completely pagefile. I use WinXP SP2 64-bit for a long time on 4GB RAM with the pagefile turned off and nothing bad happens. I use it at once:

• two Web browsers Serpent 52 and MyPal68 with multiple tabs opened
  • one virtual machine VMware with 1GB RAM guest
  • some opened documents in Notepad
  • some opened files in WinHex

I did a Supermium test on WinXP SP2 64-bit and x86 version uses less RAM than x64 version:

Supermium x86 vs Supermium x64 - only one empty card is open:

x86.png x64.png

Edited by reboot12

1 hour ago, Milkinis said:

the Arctic Foxie builds sometimes act this way but sometimes just doesn't

Agreed.  BUT contrary to other people's computers, they do NOT do this for me on MY COMPUTERS so long as I  **KEEP** the "vulkan" files!  Strictly speaking for XP x64.

It's on my To Do List to do that same type of "vulkan" experimenting with Supermium "one of these days".