Supermium

1 hour ago, 66cats said:

Bizarre. Just to make sure, you're sticking them in Chrome-bin folder, where chrome.exe sits, right? In 32-bit XP, how much memory does Chrome 121 with just this tab open use?

I'm sorry I meant to quote this message and add those 2 file to the Chrome-bin folder and this will reduce RAM usage? Thank you kindly in advance. :)

Edited by XPerceniol

8 minutes ago, 66cats said:

... But these two are supposed to really make a difference (i.e. considerably reduce RAM usage on XP) ONLY where the VC++2015-2019 redistributable (the last XP-compatible one was v14.28.29213.0) is already installed ;) 

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/235#issuecomment-1925433278

Please also note that I have provided custom api-sets to reduce memory consumption on XP: win32ss/supermium/files/14141689/corrected_api_sets.zip - these are to be placed in the browser folder, and will be included in the upcoming Supermium installer if the browser is installed on XP. However this only has an impact if you have the Visual C++ 2015-19 runtime installed.

4 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

this only has an impact if you have the Visual C++ 2015-19 runtime installed.

I always install VC-all-in-one whenever i install an OS, probably why there was such a huge difference.

Edited by 66cats

Hey folks!  Forgive my confusion.  I finally started to give Supermium a run for its money on my Dell Inspiron Notebook PC, running Vista Home Basic SP2.  It has 2 GB of RAM, yet Supermium is running really swiftly considering everything.

Now I downloaded my copy from GitHub.  It installs to the AppData\Local Folder., whereas I unzipped the Chrome-Bin contents in to a \Program Files\Supermium folder.  In either case, it sports a Windows 10-esque title bar.  I understood that Win32s made a version with the old Chrome interface.  Where is that downloaded from?

I appreciate your help.

@Jody Thornton I'm not sure what's your request exactly, but if you detest Windows 10 titlebar, and want the old XP classic titlebar back, then enable #force-xp-theme flag in chrome://flags.

If that isn't your request, then I sincerely apologize.

Edited by mina7601

16 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

@Jody Thornton I'm not sure what's your request exactly, but if you detest Windows 10 titlebar, and want the old XP classic titlebar back, then enable #force-xp-theme flag in chrome://flags.

If that isn't your request, then I sincerely apologize.

My mistake.  I thought there was a customized version of Supermium.  I'm looking at the flags now.  I also found a "Disable windows 10 theme flags", but it didn't do much.

I also forgot that there's no way to have a true titlebar in chrome, so also my bad.  I do have the vista look-alike buttons now though, so that's good,  Now I just need to figure out why certain check boxes and menu elements aren't rendered.

You were very helpful.  No apologies needed :)

Edited by Jody Thornton

On 2/3/2024 at 10:56 PM, Jody Thornton said:

Now I just need to figure out why certain check boxes and menu elements aren't rendered.

... On Windows < 8, Supermium (Sm) has issues correctly rendering woffs (remote/web fonts) on web pages (in addition to emojis, which, unlike in Mozilla apps, seems to be a Chromium-specific issue :(); you may need to install additional fonts in your Vista machine and/or use an extension for emojis; or you could try enforcing the GDI font rendering flag; some relevant GH issues:

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/227

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/143

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/138

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/134

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/69

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/33

Edited by VistaLover

Bingo @VistaLover.  The GDI flag worked.

Move over Roytam1 and NotHereToPlayGames (all in jest, I promise), but you have been supplanted.  We now have modern browsing in Vista (without any extended kernel).

Although 360 does allow tables under the address bar (ahem, tabs - I'll leave the error intact because of subsequent responses :D ), so I do tip my hat to NotHereToPlayGames for that one especially.  And Roytam! has come along with bringing XP and Vista up to browsing snuff.

Edited by Jody Thornton

1 minute ago, Jody Thornton said:

Although 360 does allow tables under the address bar,

... And where one would put the chairs:buehehe: All in jest, as you said ;), it's quite obvious you intended to type "tabs" there... Take good care :) ...

1 hour ago, Jody Thornton said:

...We now have modern browsing in Vista (without any extended kernel...

Glad you guys are having good luck with Vista, but sadly I can't say this is the case with XP and I'm sort of stuck with XP until this machine (DELL Optiplex Pentium D with 3GB RAM) finally craps out which could be any day now and expected. I can't complain my computers have been through the mill. As far as chrome goes, NHTPG 360 is about all my computer can (barely) handle. I'll try with those new files tomorrow and see if Supermium is usable - I'll keep an open mind.

EDIT: fixed typos

Edited by XPerceniol

3 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Glad you guys are having good luck with Vista, but sadly I can't say this is the case with XP and I'm sort of stuck with XP until this machine (DELL Optiplex Pentium D with 3GB RAM) finally craps out which could be any day now and expected. I can't complain my computers have been through the mill. As far as chrome goes, NHTPG 360 is about all my computer can (barely) handle. I'll try with those new files tomorrow and see if Supermium is usable - I'll keep an open mind.

EDIT: fixed typos

Friend, add a dedicated GPU to your PC, it will greatly extend the overall Supermium speed. Could be found for cheap, or even for free. 2-5 bucks card examples would include 8600 GT, GT1030 (15 Bucks), ATI  6510 (2 bucks), 10 bucks would be smth like GT730, 3 bucks for GT610 and so on, all are low power consumption.

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... And where one would put the chairs:buehehe: All in jest, as you said ;), it's quite obvious you intended to type "tabs" there... Take good care :) ...

Under one's butt to sit and enjoy the jaw breaking opportunity to test this browser for free, while the free is lasting. 

5 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

The GDI flag worked.

Jody, can I trouble you to compare the brightness? Sorry for the delicate question, how's your eyesight? To me, Supermium is approx. 25 percent brighter than any other browser, let's say the ordinary Ungoogled, thus leading to the extreme eye fatigue.

No matter what flags I use.