Supermium

3 hours ago, Milkinis said:

bench scores aside, I personally don't feel it that faster but it performs better on heavy load web sites for sure

W7 = Supermium 117 = 80

XP = Supermium 121 =  66 

XP = chrome M115 = 58 

360 chrome 13.5 = won't work 

https://www.principledtechnologies.com/benchmarkxprt/webxprt/

117 in the lead, sad it doesn't work with XP, I agree with @NotHereToPlayGames, earlier versions needed to be polished first.

2 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I did almost the same thing and disabled just about every and any flag I thought was slowing it down or that which was not needed for my basic browsing needs but it made no difference sad to say - perhaps it will improve over time. The only switches I tried were:

Well, it's the first build for XP, the alpha. Seeing the thoroughness of its development, I trust newer versions will do better. Bottom line: the browser's settings have to be reviewed to prevent such a heavy first load in XP, it should review the requirements/resources allowed to GG flagship apps, and also - not reported before- the persistence of chrome processes after closing it, even when the settings command it to do so. I forgot to mention: I ran it with umatrix, ublock (full set of lists, as in Astroskipper's legacy + a few more), clearurl, behinf the overlay, singlefile and tampermonkey). I will keep the browser as it stands with my tweaks now, because it may allow me to enter sites I can't with sp52, mypal68, or the last mod of 360chrome by Articfoxie.  

Edited by dmiranda

<OT>

I couldn't even use 7 zip to extract the files from the Epic installer, so I guess that doesn't work on XP then; but I do wonder why I couldn't at least extract the installer at the very least.

<OT>

Edited by XPerceniol

<OT>

This is what I just pulled up on Epic.

4. Epic browser

Epic is a browser based on Chromium, created by “Hidden Reflex” which is based in India. Since 2014, Epic has been claiming they would open source the code, but it remains closed source today. What’s going on behind the scenes? How do they manage Chromium and remove invasive code? Who knows.

Just like with Opera VPN, Epic falsely claims to offer a “free VPN” through the browser, but this is not really true. The browser is merely routing traffic through a US proxy server. As we learned with Opera (and with many other “free proxy” services), proxies are often used for data collection (and they are often not secure). When reading the Epic privacy policy, we find that data from “video download and proxy services” is being collected.

One person who analyzed Epic found it to be connecting to Google on startup. This suggests that Epic is not, in fact, de-googled as it claims.

There are many better Chromium-based browsers to consider.

https://restoreprivacy.com/browser/secure/

<OT>

Edited by XPerceniol

14 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I couldn't even use 7 zip to extract the files from the Epic installer,

The off-line variety should've been downloaded ;) ...

https://cdn.epicbrowser.com/v120/mini_installer.exe

And, this is just an educated guess :whistle:Epic-120 should require at least Win10 :dubbio:...

EDIT: There has been info by another member that, in fact, it does launch under Win7 :thumbup ...

Edited by VistaLover

1 minute ago, Milkinis said:

not a Arctic Foxie build

Lol, i knew i'd get caught. Not sure whose build that is, probably one of Humming Owl's, though the missing font/boxes tell me i downloaded the wrong one. Not sure why, but Humming Owl's Kafan Minibrowser was the Chrome port4me (iirc the spellchecker didn't work in that one, but it took dark themes well & could search from the address bar).

Question about Supermium before I dive in and try it.

UI-wise, it just Chrome, correct?  I wish there was a way to make a browser that looked like Chromium Edge did when it was in beta, but with today's engine..  It would be even better with tabs under the address bar.

I'm just thinking out my replacement options for when Firefox ESR 115 bites the dust.