Supermium

17 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

UI-wise, it just Chrome, correct?

Has trapezoid tabs by default, but disabling #custom-tab-shapes in chrome://flags reverts it back to generic Chrome. 

6 minutes ago, 66cats said:

Didn't know that, but started using Supermium as my main XP/Vista browser.

360chrome didn't left me down and the Google legacy chrome web store is up and running so I won't move over by now...

On 1/30/2024 at 9:43 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

What I myself would have preferred to see is a v115 (first version for Supermium) being updated, vetted by beta testers, updated again, vetted again, improved, vetted again, optimized, vetted again all while remaining at v115.

Angry birds.:roll1:

"Author made every time new version based on new chromium, maybe time to stop and made one old but stable release? I putted alot of time to test this unstable handmade stuff. At this point i leave this project and go ..."

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/215#issuecomment-1918460518

P.S. Quoted with author's original broken English.

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

P.S. Quoted with author's original broken English.

I fail to understand his meaningless complaint as he's not using WinXP at all.

the download link for the version 117 is still available so why not use it ? 

On 1/30/2024 at 4:47 AM, dmiranda said:

I would prefer to have a search engine of my choice, but well, you can't have it all. Congratulations to the developer.

Looks like you have to enable chrome://flags/#enable-search-engine-choice to get it. :crazy:

But yeah, it's Chromium, not something I'm too excited about in general, it's just bad for the health of WWW.

On 1/30/2024 at 6:05 AM, dmiranda said:

I cant even get to open the YT page without a tab crashing, and loading gmail takes forever. Maybe with 4 to 8 extra GB of RAM...

I can have 3 YT tabs open and 3 lighter sites, the computer RAM usage is still below 3 GB, about 2,9 GB, adding GMail brings it to 3,2 GB. 10 extensions active. Vanilla full-featured XP x64. Maybe some people need to rebase one of the DLLs? At least if chrome.dll is marked in orange on Modules tab of chrome.exe properties in Process Hacker. Can't say I notice any leaks. I wonder if there's any other flag besides --no-sandbox that would work-around the disappearing fonts that seems to happen in combination with Stylus. I haven't actually tried yet if this one even works at all in this Chromium, but it helped with at least one version of the old 360Chrome 13.

General browsing is pretty snappy here, but things optimized to use GPU are slow, auto-scrolling also has a heavy feel to it. This is on old price/performance oriented gaming hardware from 2009, I don't count a newer GPU since it can't be utilized here, but older decent computers are still OK for heavy web browsers. Although MSFN often gives me the impression the only acceptable option is to buy only one computer in the lifetime and take it to the grave.

Edited by UCyborg

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

..Although MSFN often gives me the impression the only acceptable option is to buy only one computer in the lifetime and take it to the grave...

Yeah not only to the grave, I intend to be still using my old junk in hell. :buehehe:

Edited by XPerceniol

Maybe some people need to rebase one of the DLLs

I'm sure its been said (or written) here before but I can't seem to locate it with the MSFN search option - what program do you recommend to to rebase the Dlls as I've never done it before. Thank you in advance. 

Nevermind, I changed my mind, its way over my head to take on such a task. 

Edited by XPerceniol

48 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

Yeah not only to the grave, I intend to be still using m old junk in hell. :buehehe:

LOL, but seriously, when you look at the hardware manufactured today, you cannot not notice the insignificance of the old gear. Not that you couldn't make a lighter browser, just don't expect it from Google. Though such browser probably couldn't support all the mess they've thought up should be supported by a web browser.

45 minutes ago, 66cats said:

What, specifically, is FF saving? I mean it's literally kept by Google.

I didn't mention FF or Mozilla specifically. There's still Moonchild Productions and The SeaMonkey Association.

Edited by UCyborg

I can have 3 YT tabs open and 3 lighter sites, the computer RAM usage is still below 3 GB, about 2,9 GB, adding GMail brings it to 3,2 GB. 10 extensions active. 

you would want to delete these files or replace them with something else with the same file name.
api-ms-win-core-string-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-core-synch -l1-2-0.dll

Edited by Milkinis

1 hour ago, Milkinis said:

you would want to delete these files or replace them with something else with the same file name.
api-ms-win-core-string-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-core-synch -l1-2-0.dll

Are you saying to just replace those files with an empty file for each and this will help?

EDIT: I don't see them anywhere on Superium but I do have both on Mypal68 and New Moon 28 ... so I don't know what I'm missing here?!

Edited by XPerceniol

Moonchild Productions

Didn't those gents cost Feodor his last git? Anyhow, last XP-compatible version released ~10 years ago, so irrelevant to this thread.

SeaMonkey Association.

Last XP/Vista-compatible build released ~5 years ago.

Are you suggesting the wellbeing of our beloved Information Superhighway depends on these? And the question stands: what, specifically, are they saving?

Edited by 66cats

1 hour ago, Milkinis said:

--disable-gpu-compositing

Actually this has improved things for me - thanks! as it turned out, that didn't help much if at all; at least on my Dell 745 Optiplex.

Edited by XPerceniol