Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, Anbima said:

For me, Kaspersky AV now quits.
Which antivirus would you recommend for XP?

What is the new one you wrote about?
I would have to renew Kaspersky otherwise.

Hi. Do you have Kaspersky 18 or 19? There is no “new one” for XP unless you have never heard of Panda. Astro is now looking for something besides Kaspersky 18 that will work with SSE-only processors (evidently 10-year-old Malwarebytes 1.75), but you appear to have an AMD Phenom processor so an SSE2 requirement should be no problem for you. If Kaspersky is quitting for some reason, have you tried Avast 18.8?

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:
11 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

All possible, working antimalware programmes targeting Windows XP are important to be listed here. If Malwarebytes v1.75.0.1300 is still receiving definition updates, although it was abandoned years ago, it would be unbelievable and great. :thumbup I personally liked this version very much. :yes:

@Monroe! Thanks again for reporting that Malwarebytes v1.75.0.1300 is able to receive most recent definition updates in 2023! That are really great and good news. Although updating of definitions failed initially when instalIing this version, I found yet a way to get the update function of this version working again under Windows XP:cheerleader: It was a bit tricky but it works now such as you reported. I will write an article about that very soon. :yes: Thanks again! You are simply great. :thumbup

And here is the proof in form of screenshots:

Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-1-75-0-1300-Ab

Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-1-75-0-1300-Up

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks again for reporting that Malwarebytes v1.75.0.1300 is able to receive most recent definition updates in 2023! That are really great and good news. Although updating of definitions failed initially when instalIing this version, I found yet a way to get the update function of this version working again under Windows XP:cheerleader: It was a bit tricky but it works now such as you reported. I will write an article about that very soon.

AstroSkipper - Glad to hear you came up with a fix and are able to get updates again. I look forward to reading your future article/post on the subject. Maybe some others will want v1.75.0.1300 back on their computer if they were having the same problem.

On 7/15/2023 at 11:15 AM, AstroSkipper said:

For all owners of a computer with a processor, that does not have more than the SSE instruction set, the air is getting thinner.

I'm sorry, but this can not be taken serious in 2023 year. The first CPU with SSE2 was released in year 2000. That's more then 22 years ago. Let those people go and upgrade to something more modern. Windows XP works so much better on 4-core systems. Now we have even 8 core Ryzen work with XP. There is no excuses left for staying on none SSE2 system now. Go and upgrade to at least Core2Duo or Athlon64X2 - they are dirt cheap now. I repeat there is no excuses to seat on, like Pentium 3 or Athlon XP and demand everyone attention. Those systems are completely obsolete, they serve people well for 2 decades, now live them alone and upgrade!

On 7/15/2023 at 11:37 AM, Dixel said:

Did you actually read the US gov. labs statement, where they caught Kaspersky injecting malicious code into browsers?

Thank you! Finally someone with common sense and logic.

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

And here is the proof in form of screenshots:
Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-1-75-0-1300-Up

What if one deselects “Trial” during installation, thereby installing Malwarebytes Free 1.75, IIRC. Any definitions then? @Mathwiz was using MBAM Free 1.75 as recently as 4 years ago, perhaps he might be interested in this discussion.

1 hour ago, Rod Steel said:
On 7/15/2023 at 12:15 PM, AstroSkipper said:

For all owners of a computer with a processor, that does not have more than the SSE instruction set, the air is getting thinner.

I'm sorry, but this can not be taken serious in 2023 year. The first CPU with SSE2 was released in year 2000. That's more then 22 years ago. Let those people go and upgrade to something more modern. Windows XP works so much better on 4-core systems. Now we have even 8 core Ryzen work with XP. There is no excuses left for staying on none SSE2 system now. Go and upgrade to at least Core2Duo or Athlon64X2 - they are dirt cheap now. I repeat there is no excuses to seat on, like Pentium 3 or Athlon XP and demand everyone attention. Those systems are completely obsolete, they serve people well for 2 decades, now live them alone and upgrade!

It is more than serious. And you do not have to understand that, either. There are users who are, for whatever reason, still interested in antimalware programmes targeting Windows XP on old hardware, whose CPU does not have more than the SSE instruction set. And it doesn't matter why. In any case, these computers still exist. For example, one of my computers is equipped with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Thoroughbred (Model 8). But frankly, I wonder what your problem is. :dubbio: It doesn't concern you anyway.  :no:

I think the following rule should be applied: 5818.png

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

11 hours ago, Monroe said:

AstroSkipper - Glad to hear you came up with a fix and are able to get updates again. I look forward to reading your future article/post on the subject. Maybe some others will want v1.75.0.1300 back on their computer if they were having the same problem.

Just to add ... if anyone decides to use Malwarebytes v1.75.0.1300, don't forget to uncheck: 'Download and install program update if available' .... 'Settings' tab / 'Updater Settings' tab. I seem to remember that if you forget you will be updated to a new version 'at the speed of light' and you will lose everything. I have nothing checked on that page ... total blank. Also, I only update when the program has completely opened. When you first start the program and if you have not run it for awhile ... a little window box will pop up asking if you would like to update the 'definition files'. I just say 'no' and do it after the program has completely opened with the 'Update' tab.

This is something I do, probably not necessary but when my updates stopped four years ago and started again, I just decided to start doing that ... just let the program completely open and then update. At the time I was just happy to have v1.75.0.1300 working again and didn't want to mess anything up with a 'quick update' when I can just do it later in a minute or two. This is probably overkill on my part but with the program trying to open and also getting updates ... just seems it can't hurt with an old program to not rush things.

Edited by Monroe
sp

Looking at the images @Monroe has attached in his post:

one can clearly see that updating of definitions in Malwarebytes v1.75.0.1300 is working in its Free version, too. :yes: Furthermore, I was able to activate the Pro version by using my lifetime licence. :cheerleader:Only in the Pro version, you will have a real-time protection as is usual with Malwarebytes and many other manufactures of antimalware programmes.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

PS: If you have problems to open a CLP file, install IrfanView! The most recent version 4.62 is still XP-compatible and free of charge. IrfanView is a great piece of software. I use it since the 90's of last century, starting under Windows 95. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

21 hours ago, Anbima said:
On 7/15/2023 at 12:15 PM, AstroSkipper said:

And for all those who, like me, have withdrawn their trust in Kaspersky and still need an antimalware programme with a background guard for their old computer after September 2023, there will be another solution beyond Kaspersky. I will write about it soon. :yes:

For me, Kaspersky AV now quits.
Which antivirus would you recommend for XP?

What is the new one you wrote about?
I would have to renew Kaspersky otherwise.

As far as I can see in your profile, you are using Windows XP Professional 32 Bit. What are your CPU specs? :dubbio:

6 hours ago, Monroe said:

...don't forget to uncheck: 'Download and install program update if available' .... 'Settings' tab / 'Updater Settings' tab. I seem to remember that if you forget you will be updated to a new version 'at the speed of light’

That advice applies equally to Malwarebytes 3.5.1, which is already 5 years old itself. It did not bother to check for OS compatibility before pushing a program update. :}

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

If you have problems to open a CLP file, install IrfanView! The most recent version 4.62 is still XP-compatible and free of charge. IrfanView is a great piece of software. I use it since the 90's of last century, starting under Windows 95

Yes I have to apologize for those images I posted earlier. I have not posted any images for years and I completely forgot how to do so ... so I went online to search how to create images to post. I have the programs PrintKey and IrfanView on my computer but again I have not used them for years and it was going to take too long to figure everything out and I think PrintKey makes images way too big in MBs for uploading ... that's what I remember. So doing the search I found an article: ScreenShot or Screen Capture in Windows XP

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/take-a-screenshot-or-screen-capture-in-windows-xp/

It was using the PrtSc on the computer with the ALT key. Took a few minutes but the images were there and very small in size to upload. However, I did not realize the images are only visible when a person is logged in to the site. When I logged out the images were not visible and I wondered what had happened. So I immediately logged back in and I saw the images were still there.

So ... not doing much image posting ... that's why those images are there or 'not there'. I should get a better Win XP program for any future images. AstroSkipper, what program did you use to post your images of Malwarebytes v1.75.0.1300 or any quick easy to use product to make an image that anyone might be using for Win XP. Sorry for taking this slightly of topic. I see that your images are still visible whether a person is logged in or not.

Edited by Monroe
sp