Future Of Firefox Quantum On Windows 7

legacyfan

2 hours ago, Mark-XP said:

is that really true?

I too was surprised to see that there was some sort of update. The good thing is that I have Nightly made portable with its own profile, so updating and corrupting the profile did not damage my data. I had to add a policy to block updates, but it affects all versions of Firefox.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox]
"DisableAppUpdate"=dword:00000001

Edited by ED_Sln
Added a registry key.

10 hours ago, broken120x120 said:

From a purely technical and compatibility basis, would you guys recommend updating to v117 or sticking to v115 ESR?

I don't think there's much point in keeping v117, even though it's newer in features, but eventually, in a few years both will be equally obsolete. But ESR will eliminate vulnerabilities found during the support period.

14 hours ago, broken120x120 said:

Edit: How far can Windows 8.1 go?

Currently, Windows 8.1 can run the latest version (119). Since 120 Nightly will be released tomorrow, I think it will run as well. It‘s going to be the fifth post-EOL version to run on 8.1

On 9/24/2023 at 4:01 AM, yoltboy01 said:

Currently, Windows 8.1 can run the latest version (119). Since 120 Nightly will be released tomorrow, I think it will run as well. It‘s going to be the fifth post-EOL version to run on 8.1

I can confirm 119 works under 8.1. I did not see 120 in the Mozilla FTP, so I couldn't try that yet.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...