My Browser Builds (Part 4)

The Goog Strikes Again

Google Translate is now broken* in Serpent 55 and 52; so probably in all of @roytam1's browsers. Not sure exactly how long ago but I think this is rather recent.

And to think we just got named regexp capture groups! Can anyone tell what they broke this time?

*Specifically, tranlation of Web sites is broken. And I'd use DeepL but it doesn't translate Web sites (at least not the free version).

Edited by Mathwiz

44 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

The Goog Strikes Again

Google Translate is now broken* in Serpent 55 and 52; so probably in all of @roytam1's browsers. Not sure exactly how long ago but I think this is rather recent.

And to think we just got named regexp capture groups! Can anyone tell what they broke this time?

*Specifically, tranlation of Web sites is broken. And I'd use DeepL but it doesn't translate Web sites (at least not the free version).

tested some previous builds and same issue occurs, I think this is google-side problem. someone may check against official version to see if same problem will occur or not.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:29 PM, Art7220 said:

Roytam1:

http://www.gizmoplex.com/checkout/1311-the-mask-3d?purchase=1

I cannot order anymore MST Gizmoplex episodes. The URL displays a blank white screen. It last worked on "The Shape of Things to Come".

Will a UserAgent string bring this back? Doesn't look like any XP browsers will work.

Oh, my version is 28.10.6a1 32-bit 2022-09-29

On 10/30/2022 at 4:28 AM, UCyborg said:

It needs support for dynamic module importing and doesn't seem to care about the user agent at first glance.

What about MyPal 68 or one of those Chinese Chromium variants?

On 10/30/2022 at 12:11 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

For those that have been following along over the years, a reminder that an increasing number of "modern" web sites now require three different types of javascript functions that break older web browsers.
     1)  Nullish coalescing operator ??  --  syntax leftExpr ?? rightExpr
     2)  Optional chaining operator ?.  --  syntax 1) obj.val?.prop, 2) obj.val?.[expr], or 3) obj.func?.(args)
     3)  Regex unicode property escapes

The first two have been partially addressed in "palefill" and "chromefill" addons - but they will not solve all web sites that require nullish coalescing or optional chaining operators.

The third type requires Chrome v64 or Firefox v78 or higher (ie, don't hold your breath on this ever getting fixed in any UXP or Mypal browser versions!).
For reference  --  https://caniuse.com/mdn-javascript_builtins_regexp_property_escapes

The three Javascript extensions above have now all been added to the UXP platform (and to Serpent 55 by @roytam1). Sadly, dynamic module importing has not, so the gizmoplex link still does not work in his browsers.

Probably not in Mypal 68 either, although I don't follow its development closely.

Now Serpent and New Moon are going under the same directory. If you have 4 versions and only two names, you can't fit everything. Doesn't the randon number subdirectory underneath wary? (NM28: 4kpw3dp8.default, Basilisk: c6fz7ylx.default)

10 hours ago, roytam1 said:

tested some previous builds and same issue occurs, I think this is google-side problem. someone may check against official version to see if same problem will occur or not.

Tested OK with ST52, 55 and NM28. Might break something else.

Merry Christmas!  :)

---

dom.enable_performance_navigation_timing = false

---

Thanks to wolfbeast... 
http://www.wolfbeast.com/about.html

Hello!

I have a problem in Windows XP SP3. I suspect that it appeared after installing the latest versions of the browser. It works by default.

Hyperlinks have stopped opening from MS Office 2000 files. I had to set the parameters in the registry manually:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\Internet.

In the Edit menu, select Create, select the DWORD value. Rename the resulting file to ForceShellExecute. In its menu, select Edit and set the value to 1.

After that, everything functions as expected.

Edited by Slavich

19 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

You forgot to mention which browser you are referring to. :dubbio:

He's referring to New Moon, also, the first time he wrote about this issue was here:

Edited by mina7601

55 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

I have it set to "true" ... should it be "false"?

Do you recommend this?

The worksround for translate.google.com is to set the dom.enable_performance_navigation_timing preference to false.

Edited by AstroSkipper

19 hours ago, j7n said:

Now Serpent and New Moon are going under the same directory. If you have 4 versions and only two names, you can't fit everything.

There are four separate directories, not two:

1. New Moon 27's profiles go under "Moonchild\Pale Moon"
  2. New Moon 28's profiles go under "Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon"
  3. Serpent 52's profiles go under "Moonchild Productions\Basilisk"
  4. Serpent 55's profiles go under "Moonchild\Basilisk"
12 hours ago, Skorpios said:

[Set] dom.enable_performance_navigation_timing = false

As crazy as that sounds, it actually works! In this case credit for discovering the workaround goes not to Moonchild but to kris_88. More info here: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=234631#p234631

Does make me wonder, though, why the heck the Goog added performance navigation timing function calls to Google Translate's Javascript! On suspicion that it's yet another sneaky way to fingerprint Web browsers, I'd recommend turning it off even if it didn't break anything! Moonchild said he'd make the default "false" in the next PM release. Anyone needing it (probably just Web developers) can always turn it back on.