My Browser Builds (Part 4)

NM28 will not be replacing BNav after all.  Very choppy and stutter-step mouse movement.

Does anyone that has used Bnav for several years know how I revert to the OLDER user interface.

I dislike the "half white, half gray" tab, dislike the "half light gray, half medium gray" tab bar, dislike the "min/restore toolbar handles", and dislike the "cartoon-ish" back/forward/refresh/stop/home icons.

image.png.8211fb6798fd9340dc58d48a299f8909.png

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I do have a feeling official Pale Moon has gotten choppier with recent updates, but I only notice it at home on a 32-bit build.

This may not mean much in the grand scheme of things and might as well be an isolated incident.

The latest Serpent on XP feels as usual. But it seems my XP installation is not without malfunctions anymore either. I cannot exclude Serpent from Actual Window Manager. AWM makes this browser freeze as soon as I open new tab while in multi-process mode. Having it on the exclusions list was a workaround I used (function disabling workaround...), but it just doesn't budge anymore. But one other incompatible program, it's still OK, but for Serpent, I'd have to disable entire AWM for the browser to work.

The only things besides newer version I could think of that have changed, I run with limited user account and Serpent's DLLs have been manually rebased to optimize RAM usage.

I tried to exclude two other random programs and no issue either. Well, I guess I could try un-rebasing, but this is ridiculous. Pretty much entire Windows XP is re-based.

Edit: Yup, nothing to do with re-basing. It'd be super bizarre if it was related.

Edit2: Disregard, I had special settings active for Serpent at the same time, that's why exclusion didn't work. :blushing:

Edited by UCyborg

5 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

NM28 will not be replacing BNav after all.  Very choppy and stutter-step mouse movement.

Does anyone that has used Bnav for several years know how I revert to the OLDER user interface.

I dislike the "half white, half gray" tab, dislike the "half light gray, half medium gray" tab bar, dislike the "min/restore toolbar handles", and dislike the "cartoon-ish" back/forward/refresh/stop/home icons.

image.png.8211fb6798fd9340dc58d48a299f8909.png

Sounds like you just need a theme. Any SeaMonkey theme should work, although you'll probably need to modify the install.rdf file in the .xpi archive. I think instructions on modifying install.rdf are available in one of the earlier "parts" of this thread.

Or you could try IceApe, whose default theme resembles the original one.

5 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

@roytam1 - are you aware that BNavigator's "Manage History" and "Clear Private Data" functions do not work?

image.png.22380c807ba0c8fa22b9647d1c709bfc.png

Even though I don't use BNavigator (only St52 and St55), I did a quick test in the same version you use, and both functions work fine for me here, so I can't replicate it, sorry.

Edited by mina7601

3 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Even though I don't use BNavigator, I did a quick test in the same version you use, and both functions work fine for me here.

Would be nice to see screenshots, like @AstroSkipper kindly provided us with!

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Would be nice to see screenshots, like @AstroSkipper kindly provided us with!

Thanks.

Sure, as you requested.

Just a friendly reminder that I don't normally use BNavigator, I only replied with that because of NHTPG.

Here's are 2 screenshots (they are from version 2021-08-20 for your information, but I can still confirm they work on the latest version too [2023-07-14]).

The 1st screenshot shows both of them opening fine. The 2nd screenshot shows Clear Private Data function working fine, hence the History is empty. Hopefully this is sufficent for you. If not, tell me.

lyhz-YW8-Ra-C.png

MMUiwc-WATZ.png

Edited by mina7601

Hmm...  Unsure if my BNav profile became corrupted over time or not.  My History popup is always EMPTY and Clear Private Data has no popup.

BNav required an add-on DOM Inspector which didn't bother me too much because BNav was only ever used for ONE web site, never more than ONE web site (Google Voice instant messaging) - 360Chrome serves ALL OTHER USES for me.

Since newer BNav requires a new theme/skin in order for me to ever use it, I've been comparing St52, St55, and BNav (I've ruled out NM28 due to very choppy behavior on my hardware).

Thus far, I am opting for St52 as my SECONDARY instant-messaging-ONLY web browser - it cannot do what 360Chrome can do and 360Chrome remains my King (on XP).

I'm using St52 with the Photonic Theme but am still tweaking to my liking.  Also including Stylish 2.1.1, Tabs on Bottom 0.7.3, and Status-4-Evar Revived 2019.10.11.3.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Hmm...  Unsure if my BNav profile became corrupted over time or not.  My History popup is always EMPTY and Clear Private Data has no popup.

In the past, I also liked to report errors that occurred in one of @roytam1's browsers. In the meantime, I have become wiser and always check first whether the observed error also occurs in a newly created profile. :yes: Only then do I report such an error. albert.gif

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

Poorly made/newbie custom themes are known to cause such issues.

Zero custom themes.  Third-party multi-monitor window management was hiding the Clear Private Data popup.  Haven't looked at empty History popup yet because I'm finding St 52 much more powerful than BNav.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

3 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Where's @roytam1, he hasn't touched the forum for 1 day, I hope he's doing well and also in a good health...

He wrote their gov. had plans to cut off their internet from the rest of the civilized world. Maybe this is the case.