Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

4 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

I just noticed that Chrome is not working on older versions of Windows 10 anymore. My 10 LTSB 1507 can‘t run the latest Chromium (118) anymore because of dll issues

I already predicted it would have happened (link), I'm not surprised, even though folks wrote their chrome still worked on the old Win 10 at that time.

So looks like now 1809 is the new bare minimum, link. And like I said before. the whole memory function would have to be replaced to be able to run on such old versions, link.

This would explain the delays with the Chinese forks of Chrome for Win 7. Each new release will be harder and harder to port, so build from scratch is the only method left.

As you all see, I could be the new clairvoyant, in addition to @D.Draker, I think I don't even have to mention, @jaclaz's half-functional (maintenance mode?) crystal ball is already mine.

8 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I already predicted it would have happened (link), I'm not surprised, even though folks wrote their chrome still worked on the old Win 10 at that time.

So looks like now 1809 is the new bare minimum, link. And like I said before. the whole memory function would have to be replaced to be able to run on such old versions, link.

This would explain the delays with the Chinese forks of Chrome for Win 7. Each new release will be harder and harder to port, so build from scratch is the only method left.

As you all see, I could be the new clairvoyant, in addition to @D.Draker, I think I don't even have to mention, @jaclaz's half-functional (maintenance mode?) crystal ball is already mine.

Yeah, I agree with you. There are plenty of Windows 10 releases and even driver manufactors like Intel always increase their minimum system requirement to the latest 2 or 3 versions of Windows 10. My i5 8250U was released in 2017 and couldn't run anything below 1703 as far as I remember (with modified drivers only). I am also curious if the upcming Intel 14th Gen processors will even offer Windows 10 support anymore, since 13th Gen was already 21H2 and up only. We also have company based apps that get revised annualy and always increase their system requirements between Windows 10 versions. 

Edit: I tested Chromium 118 on 1607 and it works well. They implemented a function that was introduced with Server 2016/14393

Edited by yoltboy01

12 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I think I don't even have to mention, @jaclaz's half-functional (maintenance mode?) crystal ball is already mine.

You shouldn't need a crystal ball for these kind of predictions[1], usually i-ching is good enough for this kind of "generic" ones.

jaclaz

[1] in my experience crystal balls are touchy, you ask them the "wrong" question (according to them) and they will instantly produce garbage and need to be sent to the shop  for re-tuning. The problem is not so much with the cost, but good crystal ball technicians are increasingly rare and you have to wait weeks before your ball can be serviced, at least here in Italy.

3 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Yeah, I agree with you. There are plenty of Windows 10 releases and even driver manufactors like Intel always increase their minimum system requirement to the latest 2 or 3 versions of Windows 10. My i5 8250U was released in 2017 and couldn't run anything below 1703 as far as I remember (with modified drivers only). I am also curious if the upcming Intel 14th Gen processors will even offer Windows 10 support anymore, since 13th Gen was already 21H2 and up only. We also have company based apps that get revised annualy and always increase their system requirements between Windows 10 versions. 

Edit: I tested Chromium 118 on 1607 and it works well. They implemented a function that was introduced with Server 2016/14393

Good to know! But for how long? From what I observe, the development (of adding bloat) is at the speed of light lately. Opera added AI since 101, and so on.

3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

You shouldn't need a crystal ball for these kind of predictions[1], usually i-ching is good enough for this kind of "generic" ones.

jaclaz

[1] in my experience crystal balls are touchy, you ask them the "wrong" question (according to them) and they will instantly produce garbage and need to be sent to the shop  for re-tuning. The problem is not so much with the cost, but good crystal ball technicians are increasingly rare and you have to wait weeks before your ball can be serviced, at least here in Italy.

jaclaz, I'm afraid I have to disagree about the term "generic", some time ago I was asked a specific question, I clearly predicted it about the memory function. Not just , "hey, guys, I know Chrome will soon not work".

I think you're confusing me with someone else. 

Regards, Dixel.

Dixel's prediction has not yet come true. Just by replacing one missing function, Chromium 118 will still work on LTSB 2015 LOL

I won't reveal the details for now, because someone from the Chromium team might read this and make for a spite in the next versions :(

5732672400_1693498123.png

Edited by mjd79

3 hours ago, mjd79 said:

Dixel's prediction has not yet come true. Just by replacing one missing function, Chromium 118 will still work on LTSB 2015 LOL

Yes they did, I predicted about Win 7 (which is the topic here!) and 8, 8.1 (which is the topic's subject in the thread I made my predictions).

3 hours ago, mjd79 said:

I won't reveal the details for now, because someone from the Chromium team might read this and make for a spite in the next versions :(

I'm sure it's a good decision, we'll see how far it will help. I remember it all went downhill very quickly after 110 (which can be ported to windows 7 and Vista).

I think things will get real ugly after or even in 120. I don't want this to be a prediction, there are people who are obviously not that happy when my predictions become true.

By that time, I hope you will make a new topic about the "Future of Chrome on Windows 10".

2 hours ago, mjd79 said:

I don't believe they think in terms "let's break the old Windows X and Y" etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 12:10 PM, mjd79 said:

I'm sorry if I missed, were you able to get fully working ungoogled 111 on 7 and Vista? Thnx.

Ungoogled, not the simple chrome.

On 8/31/2023 at 3:11 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I guarantee you that the Chromium team does not care nor perhaps even read what the MSFN community says about their project.

If you're wrong, what punishment will you agree to endure?

They don't, their AI does, quit living in the seventies.