Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

Call it a case of misunderstanding. Despite Iron's about page showing that it was updated and a current date stamp in the settings, the version was not in fact updating. It seems that it doesn't update ever or perhaps it didn't because of some setting. I had expected Iron to update the same way Chrome does. Alas, my Iron was at v77 and after updating to v109 the issues I was experiencing have gone away... BUT Ebay still is slower on their newer view than the older view (some pages have it, some don't. I'm talking US Ebay, I have not seen the new mode on international Ebays) but not unusably slow as when on v77.

On 3/30/2023 at 9:13 PM, Tripredacus said:

... BUT Ebay still is slower on their newer view than the older view (some pages have it, some don't.

I too still use Iron version 104 (portable) . No slowness for me, try these.

--disable-login-animations (no dancing raptors then)

--disable-hang-monitor

--disable-highres-timer (really helps on very old motherboards, like LGA775)

--disable-low-end-device-mode (may have the opposite effect on low RAM devices).

The above flag also disables certain hardware checks upon the startup.

addition: if goes bad, then try 

--enable-low-end-device-mode

And yes, I'm also talking about the US Ebay.

Edited by Cocodile
addition

On 3/4/2023 at 5:33 PM, xpandvistafan said:

There is also a direct download link to the new version that Google has released. Can you test if the links below works and installs?

Chrome 109.0.5414.129 64 bit: https://www.google.com/dl/release2/chrome/juzaykgd5e6nyvk27fwtbrjgoa_109.0.5414.129/109.0.5414.129_chrome_installer.exe

Chrome 109.0.5414.129 32 bit: https://www.google.com/dl/release2/chrome/kr3ekrngooyu46qwruasnjsjey_109.0.5414.129/109.0.5414.129_chrome_installer.exe

thanks, works fine on mine 7 as well

12 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Someone might want to test Slimjet 39.0 Beta based on Chromium 110. Either it still supports Windows 7 or they need to revise documentation.

it doesn't run, missing SetProcessMitigationPolicy as in normal chrome/chromium 110....

1 hour ago, adi2137px said:

it doesn't run, missing SetProcessMitigationPolicy as in normal chrome/chromium 110....

BTW SetProcessMitigationPolicy -> SetProcessAffinityMask

GetProcessMitigationPolicy -> GetProcessAffinityMask

SetThreadInformation -> SetThreadAffinityMask

PrefetchVirtualMemory -> VirtualAlloc

All missing imports from userenv.dll -> CreateEnvironmentBlock or DestroyEnvironmentBlock.

This is enough to run Chromium 110 without sandbox on Windows 7.

Edited by mjd79

On 3/23/2023 at 11:39 PM, Tangy said:

and catsxp told him this had something to do with the portable version 

Hi, I'm getting crashes when I try to enable secure DNS in catsXP,  seems like all chinese browsers I tried fail to do so ! Could you try it ? Thnx.

Even when I simply move the slider to allow Secure DNS, I got an error !

On 4/9/2023 at 7:13 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Someone might want to test Slimjet 39.0 Beta based on Chromium 110. Either it still supports Windows 7 or they need to revise documentation.

Certainly not, they lie, just like Opera. I tried it . And secure DNS is also broken in that browser. On a normal ungoogled Chrome 109 DNS works fine.

12 hours ago, Cocodile said:

Hi, I'm getting crashes when I try to enable secure DNS in catsXP,  seems like all chinese browsers I tried fail to do so ! Could you try it ? Thnx.

Even when I simply move the slider to allow Secure DNS, I got an error !

I installed portable 112.3.4.3. (Release date 12/04) this morning. Everything including Secure DNS works as expected. I never got any errors or crashes from any of the Catxp versions ( 110, 111, 112 ) what so ever.

Furthermore clear browsing data has been addressed.

https://www.catsxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168

Cheers

11 hours ago, Tangy said:

I installed portable 112.3.4.3. (Release date 12/04) this morning. Everything including Secure DNS works as expected. 

Furthermore clear browsing data has been addressed.

https://www.catsxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168

Cheers

Thanks for the good news, yes, they had the crashes fixed, finally ! Cookies are still not deleted. The browser has persistent (undeletable) cookies from taobao , qq , etc.

I'm worried about its chinese telemetry.... so not sure if it's an alternative for the future !

On 4/14/2023 at 3:03 AM, mjd79 said:

Perhaps @NotHereToPlayGames will do something about it in the future, because he already has experience in this :)

With limited testing on v112.3.4.3, the only time I witness any odd connections is when "secure DNS" is enabled - making me NOT TRUST this so-called "secure" DNS.

It is better to set up your Operating System to use "secure DNS" than it is to rely on any web browser to perform that task for you, once that is "embedded" into the web browser, it can make ANY connection it wants to!

There are some embedded "always accept cookies" web sites but I've not seen them create cookies so long as you do not visit those web sites.

The embedded list is easily removable in chrome.dll - but I'm left with an "empty" web site instead of a none-added note, so still investigating.