Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

3 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

And I don’t really think that it uses gpu anyways since whenever I try 8k60fps on my main pc the cpu gets heavily utilized

... Unless you have a recent GPU that supports H/W VP9 decoding, only S/W decoding via CPU takes place for 8k60 YT (do YT serve >=1080p files encoded in H.264?) - Wiki says that "full fixed-function VP9 8-bit and 10-bit decoding acceleration" was only added in Intel's Quick Sync Video v6, starting with Kaby Lake; don't know about the AMD side of things...

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

... Unless you have a recent GPU that supports H/W VP9 decoding, only S/W decoding via CPU takes place for 8k60 YT (do YT serve >=1080p files encoded in H.264?) - Wiki says that "full fixed-function VP9 8-bit and 10-bit decoding acceleration" was only added in Intel's Quick Sync Video v6, starting with Kaby Lake; don't know about the AMD side of things...

It does work for me on windows 10 though.

rtx 2060 and r5 3600 so I think it is not working under w 8.1

I have a work-around for dealing with the outdated browser problem. The work-around is an app called Shadow Defender.. That app lets me surf the web in Shadow Mode (SM). When I am in SM, I am surfing the internet with a virtual computer. While in SM, anything that happens to my virtual computer will disappear just as soon as I do a restart.

If I do a download (d/l) while in SM, I do it to a flash drive that I only connect immediately before the d/l. After the d/l finishes, I test drive the d/l for malware using VirusTotal, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool (KVRT), & a behavior blocker AV. If all checks out okay, I disconnect the flash drive until I restart & need it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is yet another option for safely using an outdated browser and that solution is to use an UPDATED browser. Here's how:
1- D/l (to your computer) the iso file for a Linux Distro. Zorin is a good & easy one for this purpose.
2- D/l Rufus to your computer. It's an app for turning iso files into bootable flash drives
3- Insert a flash drive with at least 5GB capacity
4- Execute Rufus and tell it to process Zorin's iso file so as to make it a bootable app on the flash drive.
5- Restart your computer with the Zorin flash drive inserted.
6- Zorin will boot instead of Windows.
7- Zorin gives you 2 options: A-Trial mode, & B- Install. Select TRIAL mode -- not install.

With Zorin in trial mode, you have a full-on "live" Linux operating system running in virtual mode on your computer. An updated Firefox browser is installed & instantly available -- you will see the Firefox red icon over toward the left side of Zorin's task bar You can surf the internet with NO permanent danger to your computer whatsoever.

If you do a download, it will be put into Zorin's download folder. To access that folder: float your cursor over the icons on Zorin's task bar. One of them (it's gray, I think) will be the File Manager. Use File Manager to get to the downloads folder. Then insert a flash drive. Then copy your download to the flash drive using the right click menu just like you do when copying a file while running Windows. It's so easy that even I can do it (I'm 92 and am definitely NOT a computer geek.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S. - I used Zorin in "live" mode for a couple of weeks, using the steps discussed above. Then I got curious & started messing around with other parts of Zorin. Its "Z" button (far-left side of the task bar) is just like Win7's Start button. That Z button is a treasure trove of all kinds of free apps. After fooling around for several days, I remembered that I had a "stand-by" laptop, gathering dust, so I decided to install Zorin Pro on it. Zorin now "owns" that laptop.

I'm retired (you probably guessed that) so -- nowadays --I play around with Zorin almost every day. Zorin is extremely user friendly so that learning to use it is actually a lot of fun.

Edited by bellgamin

16 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

You and D.Draker have the same view. 

I have this point of view. My take on the weird case is here :

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184445-chromium-111-and-112-for-vista7-and-8081-backport/?do=findComment&comment=1239513

How is it any similar to those who have viruses or suspisions ? I see nothing suspisious per se, pretty simple, like I already wrote above.

And yeah, it was very rude, unprofessional, they guy definitely lacks the manners. I agree with you. I remember you wrote the new members

gotta have some sort of a filter applied, before their postings with their "projects". Polygraph them, I dunno ? lol 

4 hours ago, bellgamin said:

Kaspersky Virus

Is officially banned in the US by the Fed. Gov. for being yet another russian spyware. There was an article on this forum.

Being from a friendly NATO country, I choose to trust them. Not sure if my choice applies to Cubans, North Koreans and those with them.

"U.S. blacklists Kaspersky antivirus as an unacceptable risk to national security.

The U.S. federal government banned the use of Kaspersky software.

By Mark Hachman Senior Editor, PCWorld MAR 28, 2022 9:59 AM PDT"

11 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

It does work for me on windows 10 though.

rtx 2060 and r5 3600 so I think it is not working under w 8.1

Like I already wrote many times (in this topic also). They removed any form of accelerated videos on all OSes below win 10, thanks for yet another confirmation.

It happened quite some time ago. Sure as Hell it will never work with W7 unless you hack it. I'm talking about the off. chrome, maybe some forks still have that ability,

but not Opera.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:32 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I have them.  And no, I am not infected with "TJPROJMAIN.EXE".  I do not run any anti-virus.  I only tried them in Win10 just for the curiousity of a new browser.  I don't think you got "TJPROJMAIN.EXE" from this thread.

image.png.f00fa49d40b6c1af541fd280b34a7dfe.png

image.png.ee3519b34b34b63e2945c7805a8b304d.png  (2/23/23)

I'm sorry for the off-top, what archiver is that on the photo ? Could you suggest a good non-russian archiver ? 7zip is very glitchy. It can't even extract driver packages properly.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I bite my tongue.

Why ?!??!?! I'm a customer (so as you!). I have my rights (so as you!).

I have the right to know where the product I'm going to use was made.

What seems to be the problem here ? If it was made in a hostile country,

I choose not to use it due to common sense, safety , love to my own country,

not willing to support the enemy, who will use the profits against me/my country.

What's wrong with that ? And even if that country is not openly hostile, 

I still have my right to refuse, simply because I don't like that country (for example).

This is guaranteed by the French Constitution and our customer rights (all items 

in the stores must have a label clearly showing where they were produced).

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I use v4.3 intentionally despite newest being v4.5.

My like goes to this part. And only to this, because it should matter. Many thanks. I'll definitely try ! I have a Bulgarian Gaz Mask in my collection,

3 hours ago, Old Technology said:

https://gs.statcounter.com/windows-version-market-share/desktop/worldwide

Very concering this massive drop in W7 user share. How to explain?

Simple to explain, those who were still hanging onto Windows 7 is now moved on 'cause the browser support died off.

So the OS is simply dead 'cause no gaming drivers and no hardware since 2015. I have a Kabylake (2016) and win 7 can't even 

proprely utilise the C sates on the CPU ! So no modern gaming , no browsing, no chrome on win 7 , etc.

Funny thing as of now, even Vista is able to use more modern chrome (with hacks , of course).

And windows 7 doesn't even have any usable form of ex-kernel.

11 hours ago, VistaLover said:

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Like I already wrote many times (in this topic also). They removed any form of accelerated videos on all OSes below win 10, thanks for yet another confirmation.

It happened quite some time ago. Sure as Hell it will never work with W7 unless you hack it. I'm talking about the off. chrome, maybe some forks still have that ability,

but not Opera.

Interesting, I compared  chrome://gpu of these browsers & versions all running on windows 8:

IRON 104: Video Decode: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled

CHROMIUM 112 (bp): Video Decode: Hardware accelerated

GOOGLE CHROME 107: Video Decode: Hardware accelerated

1440p60 it's smoother on chromium 112

-

I have also found these extensions when I tried to get hardware acceleration on IRON 104 first:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/h264ify/aleakchihdccplidncghkekgioiakgal/related 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/magic-actions-for-youtube/abjcfabbhafbcdfjoecdgepllmpfceif/related 

_

Ok, I made some more tests after I read about how to enable Chrome hardware acceleration [DELETED] (I don't know if I can post this)

Long story short, I enabled acceleration on Iron playing with [DELETED]

Anyway, I not discovered the wheel (the wheel was discovered by blackwingcat <_<), so comparing this to chrome on w10, I want to have the best video playback experience on w8, at least as smooth as in VLC, so I'll continue investigating...

I knows this -maybe- doesn't bring anything new to the table, It's more like a personal appreciation about how accelerated video playback works these days on different chrome versions and windows oses... but I remember an old HP laptop from 2009 in which I installed 10 1511 10586 (wddm 2.0) and youtube on iron worked better than in Windows 8. This is what always kept me curious trying to understand...

Edited by sonyu

What I meant is, it doesn't work out of the box, it's still blocked, despite what that page shows you, and what you write is still hacks, not everyone will bother themselves to to do that.

D3DCompiler_47 is some outdated crap for D3D9, from 15 years ago , it isn't even used when decoding. Maybe it's needed for some primitive online games , I dunno, I always delete it.