Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

I did not try the 111 beta yet.

I was in-process of trying 3.2.4 when you posted.

And YES, I can confirm that it is v110 and it DOES work on vanilla Win7 [no extended kernels, no POSReady-whatever-they-call-them-for-7] (I have a strong dislike toward "extended" kernels, but I applaud their role in the tech-savvy community).

4 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

Catsxp 111 beta working on Windows Vista with Extended Kernel too!

No, it doesn't , it's fake news. It throws an error about missing functions. And yes, I used the latest October kernel.

Screenshot_20230213_141828.png

I'm myself not interested in this chinese browser , but for those who , you may replace NtOpenKeyEx with NtCreateKey.

It's basically the same. I'm not sure why that chinese developer chose to use it, especially if the name somewhat suggests "XP" compatibility.

They sure do have their own view on logic.

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I'm myself not interested in this chinese browser , but for those who do, you may replace NtOpenKeyEx with NtCreateKey.

It's basically the same. I'm not sure why that chinese developer chose to use it, especially if the name somewhat suggests "XP" compatibility.

They sure do have their own view on logic.

Works ! Many thnx ! I used it for a game though, not that browser, writing here just to confirm the replacement indeed works like a miracle !

27 minutes ago, Cocodile said:

I wonder will there be a similar to the 360Explorer project to remove the chinese telemetry ?

Possibly.  Unsure as of yet.  Catsxp will be a "godsend" for those of you that like "dark mode".

My primary focus as a backburner project has been to "ungoogle" GDIChromium v96 (there are 458 strings within chrome.dll that need modified one at a time and I cannot fully test until I've performed all 458).

I am aware that there is a v103 but I prefer v96 based on performance metrics.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Could you expand on this, please?  Thanks in advance.

These two functions basically serve the same purpose. But there's a difference regarding their proper usage. A browser doesn't need the "EX" one,

I'm not sure why the chinese fella added it . The standard Chrome/Opera doesn't use it . See what I mean ? 

I recommend not using NtOpenKeyEx, even if it's available because it needs to be linked dynamically, not statically, and if it isn't,

then either use NtCreateKey if possible, or use Wow6432Node otherwise.

11 hours ago, Cocodile said:

I wonder will there be a similar to the 360Explorer project to remove the chinese telemetry ?

I can say that I hereby have no plans to undertake any Catsxp-based project.

I am extremely thankful that a "new" Chrome/Chromium Fork has risen to the challenge of maintaining functionality with Win7 that does not require an Extended Kernel and will keep an eye on it as a possible future project.

But when it comes right down to it, there are better performing options available to the Vanilla Win7 crowd.

Yet I also say this not knowing any web site examples that "work" in Chrome v110 but do not work in Chrome v96 - I'd rather run a "slightly older" variant and have improved performance than use "cutting edge" but take the performance hit.

Win7 Enterprise SP1 -
360Chrome v13.5 build 1030  ==  56.5
Ungoogled Chromium v86  ==  67.3
Catsxp v3.2.4  ==  68.7
GDIChromium v96  ==  96.3

image.thumb.png.fbf939aa60e9e593c93394096c863634.png