Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

2 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

So, the self updating logic is already present in 1.16.4.31b2 ?

It seems it hasn't it already done so in my case. :dubbio:

Yes, it is present there too but it points to the old internal list for uBlock Origin Legacy which is not updated since 2018 except a change by JustOff with the commit message "Force the syntax converter for additional filter lists" two years ago. That is the reason you won't notice any changes of available filter lists in this version. Therefore, it works as long these filter lists still exist and are updated on a regular base.

PS: That means patching the code for self-updating the internal list is not really necessary in the untouched version 1.16.4.31b2. It cannot get the most recent but incompatible list anyway.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:
2 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

So, the self updating logic is already present in 1.16.4.31b2 ?

It seems it hasn't it already done so in my case. :dubbio:

Yes, it is present there too but it points to the old internal list for uBlock Origin Legacy which is not updated since 2018. That is the reason you won't notice any changes of available filter lists in this version. Therefore, it works as long these filter lists still exist and are updated on a regular base.

Just a reminder, the reason for creating modded versions of uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2 apart from initial display errors in the dashboard was the performance problems while updating the selected filter lists and to get the more recent filter lists which were only offered by the webextensions of uBlock Originscratch_one-s_head.gif
@nicolaasjan If uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2 is sufficient for you and still working, use it! I will check this version once again the next days.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

@nicolaasjan If you can identify which filter list is missing and should be restored from my previous version, I will add it to the code of my new release. :) I only need the exact name of the filter list. smilie_denk_24.gif

@nicolaasjan I will create another, fixed version of my previous mod uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.49.2 in the next few days and also offer here. The internal list inside that version was still compatible with uBlock Origin Legacy when I created it. So everyone can decide for themselves how up-to-date they want to be. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 12/31/2023 at 11:04 PM, nicolaasjan said:

(offtopic)

Thanks!

This works waaaay better than VLC. :lol:

(off-topic)

You should originally thank Maroc (at My Digital Life forum) for this, as he's the user who ported a new version of MPC-HC to XP, but you're welcome, and I am glad that MPC-HC performs faster than VLC in your case.

Edited by mina7601

9 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I also get that error in the picture, but it relates to the request to https://ublockorigin.github.io/uAssets/filters/filters-2024.txt?_=236670. It's not 2024 yet, so maybe it's normal?

I don't think that's it - the above resource doesn't exist, yet "uBlock filters - ads" loads without error in uBO 1.54 (in Edge 109).

7 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

I couldn't figure it out, but found an old xpi file in my collection (uBlock0_1.16.4.31b2.firefox-legacy.xpi), which updated filters without error and didn't show ads on that YT video.

Perhaps that could help us narrow down the issue. Could you figure out which specific filter (in the working uBO) is blocking the YT video ads, by switching filters off and on? If identified, we could add it as a custom filter to the new version.

Posted (edited)

I have just investigated the last versions of the webextension uBlock Origin. The last version where the internal list is still compatible with uBlock Origin Legacy is definitely uBlock Origin 1.49.2. Starting with version 1.50.0, there are incompatible entries inside which lead, for example, to the "Annoyances" bug and which I had to remove in my latest mod uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0spanachee.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

I have just investigated the last versions of the webextension uBlock Origin. The last version where the internal list is still compatible with uBlock Origin Legacy is definitely uBlock Origin 1.49.2. Starting with version 1.50.0, there are incompatible entries inside which lead, for example, to the "Annoyances" bug which I had to remove in my latest mod uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0spanachee.gif

from my limited testing, uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 seems to be working in my latest NM27 build (by lowering minVersion to 27.10.0)

Show me an extension that can disable video ads on its own on https://www.24ur.com/ without breaking the player, eg. https://www.24ur.com/novice/tujina/obstreljevanje-z-verzi-ukrajinski-in-ruski-vojaki-prepevali-katjuso.html. Funny how easily these content / ad blockers can be defeated if you're just a little bit creative.

Hint: You have to defuse one function in the site's main JavaScript file.

Edit: Chaining IMA SDK Plugin like that is quite effective as the ad blocker will break the player, user will turn it off the ad blocker, see that playback works and blame the ad blocker.

Edited by UCyborg

7 hours ago, roytam1 said:

from my limited testing, uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 seems to be working in my latest NM27 build (by lowering minVersion to 27.10.0)

Thank you very much for testing! Glad to hear that my latest mod seems to be working for you. BTW, for me, too. :)

9 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I don't think that's it - the above resource doesn't exist, yet "uBlock filters - ads" loads without error in uBO 1.54 (in Edge 109).

That's what I assumed as I don't remember seeing any other network request failing. But it fails on Edge too and that doesn't cause exclamation mark there. Version differences?

That was actually the first time I used it. Unsure if you can filter hosts/files/content as well as with Proxomitron, but Proxomitron's future looks bleak if it can't be trusted to reliably load web pages as-is.

In any case, I don't see myself using such tools often as is, regular expressions give me headache. Fortunately, I feel the need to use them very rarely.

Edited by UCyborg