Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

I know Youtube Downloader HD very well and use it for many years, too. YouTube in web browsers on old hardware is no longer a good idea. :no: This site has gotten worse and worse from year to year. :thumbdown If I nevertheless want to watch a YT video directly in New Moon 28, I use the extension uTube or the service Invidious. :thumbup

Tip:

Use the extension "Open With" from the Classic Add-ons Archive.

Then you can add the media player of your choice (and other useful commands) to the right-click menu (Screenshot).

There is a mod of MPC-HC that I use now and it performs really well in XP. See this post from @mina7601. :)

It uses youtube-dl to fetch the video, so if you have yt-dlp you have to rename it (must be in your PATH).

Edited by nicolaasjan

41 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

Tip:

Then you can add the media player of your choice (and other useful commands) to the right-click menu (Screenshot).

There is a mod of MPC-HC that I use now and it performs really well in XP. See this post from @mina7601. :)

It uses youtube-dl to fetch the video, so if you have yt-dlp you have to rename it (must be in your PATH).

Thanks for the tip! :) TBH, I know almost all the alternative options. I personally use the VLC Youtube Shortcut extension in conjunction with the most recent VLC Player and the youtube.lua file. I have various YouTube Downloaders at my disposal. And I am a great fan of your youtube-dl and yt-dlp releases.

24 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I personally use the VLC Youtube Shortcut extension in conjunction with the most recent VLC Player and the youtube.lua file.

We are getting a bit offtopic now, but I have bad experience with VLC (choppy and slow; especially on XP in my VM).

On Linux (native) and Windows 7 and 10 (VM's) I use the excellent MPV media player.

If you want hardware accelerated playback on older GPU's, request the avc codec (h264) from YouTube.

In order to get that, put this line in your MPV config file (example config file here):

ytdl-format="bestvideo[height<=1080][ext=mp4][vcodec^=avc]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/best[ext=mp4]/best"

And:

hwdec=auto

The last version of MPV that works on Windows 7 is mpv-x86_64-20230917-git-181eddc (got it from from here).

They dropped support for Windows 7. :realmad:

Fresh install of uBlock Origin in Serpent 52 running on XP x64:

spacer.png

If I recall correctly, the old one shows some entries of type dom in the logger when it skips ads. Think I didn't see them with a new one.

1 hour ago, nicolaasjan said:

On Linux (native) and Windows 7 and 10 (VM's) I use the excellent MPV media player.

Multimedia in virtual machines? Yikes!

On somewhat unrelated performance note, my machine almost manages plain 4K @ 25FPS in a browser (30 drops frames constantly).

spacer.png

Edited by UCyborg

34 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

It's indeed not optimal, but on XP with MPC-HC, YouTube playback is very decent.

In other cases I just download it and then open it in MPV.

That said, these VM's are mainly for testing purposes and of course for building yt-dlp/youtube-dl. :)

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I also tested there my coming release uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31. No ads in either of the two YouTube videos. :no: And this release also works flawlessly and without any issues in New Moon 28, Serpent 52 and Pale Moon 32.5.2. :) Under both versions 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 and 1.16.4.31, I don't see any ads in the Ad Blocker Test Video:no: It stays empty and black. :cool: Here is a screenshot with 76 ads blocked:

u-Block-Origin-Legacy-1-16-4-31b2-1-54-0

@nicolaasjan and all interested people!

I have carried out further tests. After several runs in Pale Moon 32.5.2, the Led Zeppelin YouTube video in the profile with uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 suddenly showed ads. Very strange. :dubbio: :realmad: But not in the profile with my new, upcoming release uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31:thumbup Not once did advertising appear in the videos there. Thus, @nicolaasjan's observations were correct. :thumbup This gave me a lot to think about and prompted me to investigate further, which I have just completed with positive results. At least, I do hope so. :P The YouTube website is the greatest crap ever. :thumbdown There are many discussion about embedded ads in YT videos and many complaints in the internet. All of them are looking for solutions, but they haven't really existed since the end of last year, :no: You are supposed to pay for ad-free videos. 1cent.gif YouTube recognizes uBlock Origin and prevents ads from being blocked. Anyway! At the moment, my new, coming release uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31 works great and is able to block these embedded ads as the old version 1.16.4.31b2 already did. I modified the release uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 once again to do the same as the new and the old one. Now, I am in testing mode again. suisjebete.gif Until now, it is working fine.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Current YouTube filters use builtin scriptlet trusted-replace-xhr-response, implemented sometime in 2023 (https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock-issues/issues/2743). There's also trusted-replace-fetch-response. Utility functions may be provided by extension itself (/assets/resources/scriptlets.js in current versions), other utility functions may be part of resources at /assets/ublock/resources.txt (in the old version).

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Fresh install of uBlock Origin in Serpent 52 running on XP x64:

spacer.png

If I recall correctly, the old one shows some entries of type dom in the logger when it skips ads. Think I didn't see them with a new one.

On somewhat unrelated performance note, my machine almost manages plain 4K @ 25FPS in a browser (30 drops frames constantly).

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

Here is your PSY Gangnam Style YT video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0 filtered and adblocked by my new mod of uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 which will be released very soon:

:cheerleader:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

9 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Oh my, thanks very much for this! Should have installed Classic Add-ons Archive, it really contains a lot of goodies there, and I installed "Classic Theme Restorer" extension from there as well, along with "Open With" extension.

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2024 at 9:32 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Before releasing this new version, I have corrected my latest release uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 from this post: 

Now, it is fully working. No problems any longer when updating the filter lists. The new filter list "filters-2024.txt" is now inside the xpi file and can be retrieved correctly. Inside the xpi file, all filter lists have been replaced by the most recent ones to be more recent after installing without immediate updating. Additionally, I lowered the minVersion for Pale Moon from 28.0 to 27.0 to also install it in New Moon 27 which, for example, @roytam1 seems to use. Please re-download this corrected release from the linked post above especially if you already downloaded the old one! Please, test this special version and report here! Any feedback is of course welcome! :)

Due to the problems in terms of filtering and blocking ads in YouTube videos, I had to correct my release uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 once again. I added some (necessary) code and two filter lists which were not present in uBlock Origin 1.54.0 but in uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2. The two lists are uBlock filters - Legacy and uBlock filters – Resource abuse. Here is a screenshot taken from the setting page:

Additionally, I updated all filter lists once again. The new download link and all information can be found in this post:

Please re-download this corrected release from the linked post above especially if you already downloaded the old one! Please, test this special version and report here! Any feedback is of course welcome! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

:cheerleader:

This one shows no ads on YouTube so far!

We will see what YouTube will come up with next. Personally, I hate all these constant changes and perfidious mechanisms that are supposed to block ad blockers. :realmad: In any case, thank you for your persistent reporting and testing! :thumbup And one more request: keep testing to make sure everything runs smoothly! It's a good thing to do when you're surfing anyway. I personally think this version should now do its job. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Would these new scriptlets work in uBO Legacy if transplanted?

I had already looked at these resources before @UCyborg mentioned them. But in any case, a very interesting contribution. :yes: The file scriptlets.js is only present in the more recent webextensions and can't be transplanted without code changes if at all. The legacy extensions provides functions via the file resources.txt which was missing in my previous releases and had to be restored in my latest one. From now on, I won't merge legacy extension and webextension any longer in terms of uBlock Origin:no: The webextensions of uBlock Origin are moving further and further away from the code base of the legacy extensions. Too much incompatibilities. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content