Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

3 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Something weird happened.

"uBlock filters - Ads" doesn't want to update any more and YouTube in-video ads are not blocked now... :puke:

spacer.png

The updating of all filter lists and therefore also the "uBlock filters - Ads" list was tested by me several times and worked perfectly. However, I didn't test YouTube as I run those videos either externally in VLC or in browsers and the YouTube app on my Android tablet. In New Moon 28 or Serpent 52, I usually watch embedded videos very rarely. Did you perform a clean install of uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 as described in my article? :dubbio:This time, such procedure is really necessary to avoid problems. And can you please provide the YouTube video link where the blocking of ads doesn't work if possible due to privacy reasons? :dubbio: Did it work with my previous version 1.16.4.31b2-1.49.2? Any further information is welcome and helpful, of course. :yes: Anyway! When I am again at my desktop computer, I will have a look into that. 
e010.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Works fine in the upstream Pale Moon.

I also get that error in the picture, but it relates to the request to https://ublockorigin.github.io/uAssets/filters/filters-2024.txt?_=236670. It's not 2024 yet, so maybe it's normal?

Other files are acquired successfully: filters.txt, filters-2020.txt, filters-2021.txt, filters-2022.txt, filters-2023.txt

YouTube remains ad-free.

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Works fine in the upstream Pale Moon.

I also get that error in the picture, but it relates to the request to https://ublockorigin.github.io/uAssets/filters/filters-2024.txt?_=236670. It's not 2024 yet, so maybe it's normal?

Other files are acquired successfully: filters.txt, filters-2020.txt, filters-2021.txt, filters-2022.txt, filters-2023.txt

YouTube remains ad-free.

Thanks for your feedback! As for the existence of the file filters-2024.txt, it doesn't seem to be on uBlock's server at the moment as you already stated, but we will see very soon what's going on with it and that with a probability bordering on certainty. :P To be or not to be that is the question. spanachee.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

@AstroSkipper

Did you perform a clean install of uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 as described in my article?

Yes,

Also tested with upstream Pale Moon on Linux in a pristine test profile.

Still the same issues:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ads in the video Led Zeppelin - Kashmir (Live from Celebration Day) (Official Video).

(highly recommended nostalgia :worship: )

No ads in your previous version.

44 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

Did you perform a clean install of uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 as described in my article?

Yes,

Very good! :)

Also tested with upstream Pale Moon on Linux in a pristine test profile.

Still the same issues:

spacer.png

As already discussed in the previous posts, this will presumably change the next time when the file filters-2024.txt starts to exist on uBlock's servers.

spacer.png

Ads in the video Led Zeppelin - Kashmir (Live from Celebration Day) (Official Video).

(highly recommended nostalgia :worship: )

No ads in your previous version

For creating my new mod 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0, I have deleted all previous lists and taken over all the new ones from the current webextension uBlock Origin 1.54.0. Maybe, there was a list in my previous version 1.16.4.31b2-1.49.2 which contained filters that now don't exist anymore. :dubbio: This has to be investigated more deeply. Maybe, you can add a special filter list for YouTube videos via "Custom filters". As I already mentioned, I will have a look into that when I am again at my desktop computer which is not the case at the moment.
e010.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

FYI, the filter lists in my new mod uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 are identical with the lists of the webextension uBlock Origin 1.54.0 except one which was implemented nonsensically twice. :P And I am able to add any lists to the code of the preselected, default ones (or at least I think so :rolleyes:), only if they are of any importance, of course. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

OK, can confirm the ad comes through on the linked video. Should've checked more videos. Doesn't come through on Edge with uBlock 1.54 with default settings.

AFAIK, new uBlock supports extended filter syntax. Unless the old uBlock was updated to understand it, it could be that some rules on updated lists are simply ignored (best case scenario I assume).

37 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

OK, can confirm the ad comes through on the linked video. Should've checked more videos. Doesn't come through on Edge with uBlock 1.54 with default settings.

AFAIK, new uBlock supports extended filter syntax. Unless the old uBlock was updated to understand it, it could be that some rules on updated lists are simply ignored (best case scenario I assume).

That's what I guessed, too. There was also code which was apparently incompatible and already removed by me. And we have to bear in mind that there are now 5 years time difference between version 1.16 and 1.54. Therefore, incompatibilities are to be expected. :yes:
@nicolaasjan If you can identify which filter list is missing and should be restored from my previous version, I will add it to the code of my new release. :) I only need the exact name of the filter list. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

36 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

@nicolaasjan If you can identify which filter list is missing and should be restored from my previous version, I will add it to the code of my new release. :) I only need the exact name of the filter list.

I couldn't figure it out, but found an old xpi file in my collection (uBlock0_1.16.4.31b2.firefox-legacy.xpi), which updated filters without error and didn't show ads on that YT video.

(you have to manually add the Quick fixes list to 'Custom")

Maybe you can have a look inside it?

Edited by nicolaasjan

54 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

it could be that some rules on updated lists are simply ignored (best case scenario I assume).

That is certainly the case.

E.g. "Quick fixes has now 168 rules in Firefox 121, but Pale Moon only recognizes 135 of them... :(

Edited by nicolaasjan

18 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

I couldn't figure it out, but found an old xpi file in my collection (uBlock0_1.16.4.31b2.firefox-legacy.xpi), which updated filters without error and didn't show ads on that YT video.

(you have to manually add the Quick fixes list to 'Custom")

Maybe you can have a look inside it?

As I already wrote in my article, the version 1.16.4.31b2 is the one which all my mods are based on. The issue in terms of the "Annoyances" will come sooner or later due to the self-update of the internal list of all preselected, default filter lists. The version 1.16.4.31b2 has to be patched, too, at least to prevent this self-updating.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

13 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

The version 1.16.4.31b2 has to be patched, too, at least to prevent this self-updating.

Are you sure? That would be a bummer.

Well, I can still view YT videos through MPV on Linux and "modern" Windows.

VLC on XP has very crappy playback, at least in my VM.

(offtopic) do you know if there is a version of MPC-HC that still works on XP (this fork works well on Windows 7)?

Edited by nicolaasjan

40 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

Are you sure? That would be a bummer.

Just to clarify it, I don't mean the self-updating of the selected filter lists by the user :no: but the self-updating of the internal list of all preselected, default filter lists. :yes: That are completely different things.

Edited by AstroSkipper

4 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Just to clarify, I don't mean the self-updating of the selected filter lists by the user :no: but the self-updating of the internal list of all preselected, default filter lists. :yes: That are completely different things.

Yes, that's what I already guessed you meant. :)

So, the self updating logic is already present in 1.16.4.31b2 ?

It seems it hasn't it already done so in my case. :dubbio:

Edited by nicolaasjan