360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

The INSTALLER set the browser as the default, no surprise there.  But if something else is then set as default, does the "button" inside the settings pages reclaim "default"?

I can't really speak from experience on "default browser" - I don't "do" 'default browser'.  "To each their own."  :cool:

regarding Mypal68 memory usage versus 360Chrome v11 memory usage -

My single-core with 1.5 GB RAM is at dad's house (six hours away), so I can only show what I can do here.

My low-grade system here is a quad-core with 2.0 GB RAM.

For me, the "site isolation" flags makes memory consumption WORSE.

And Mypal68 is EVEN WORSE!

360Chrome v11 without site-isolation flags -

image.thumb.png.da3b4b40993ec9e25f08803e6329a97f.png

360Chrome v11 with site-isolation flags -

image.thumb.png.75022a0c23b89337ecc21a72c49562b2.png

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

For me, the "site isolation" flags makes memory consumption WORSE.

Correct! For me too! I tried it and RAM usage was worse:realmad: In Chrome there is no single process mode anymore. It existed in Chromium (--single-process) but due to the fact that I avoided Chrome browsers in the past I don't know if it is still supported. 360Chrome version 11 crashes with the launch parameter --single-process. Therefore 360Chrome browser and, after a short research, presumeably all Chrome browsers do not have a single process mode anymore.

And Mypal68 is EVEN WORSE!

Mypal68 memory usage with the same two YouTube tabs and default multi-process (unaware if Mypal68 can be set to single-process)

I agree if Mypal 68 is running in multi process mode. But Mypal 68 can be used in a single process mode using these about:config settings:
browser.tabs.remote.autostart  false
dom.ipc.processCount  1

In this mode you'll have only one instance of mypal.exe with less RAM consumption. Starting Mypal 68 with these settings in my system leads to a RAM usage of less than 300 MB. :yes:

What do you think about launch parameter --process-per-site in 360Chrome? On some web sites this parameter is recommended to reduce RAM consumption. I rather doubt that. :dubbio:

Cheers, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Addition

I wouldn't focus too much on "process count".

I use Roytam's BNavigator (strictly for texting and email because I don't own a phone) and TWO TABS in BNavigator with only ONE PROCESS uses more memory than 360Chrome v11 with THREE TABS open and FIVE PROCESSES.

BNavigator with one texting tab and one email tab = 407 MB

360Chrome v11 with three MSFN tabs open = 118 + 78 + 69 + 69 + 49 = 383 MB

image.png.a31e60d733f0a944707eed6ca6ffbfe6.png

30 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I wouldn't focus too much on "process count".

Thanks for your quick reply! :) I do not focus. on process count only. I do focus on RAM usage. Each new opened tab consumes nearly 100 MB. Currently I have three different tabs and only one extension in 360 Chrome and a RAM usage of 93 + 90 + 110 + 113 + 90 = 496 [MB]. Each more tab means nearly 100MB more. Sorry, too much. In Mypal 68 I have three different tabs and two extension consuming only 400 MB. Therefore 20 percent less RAM usage. It makes definitely a difference running a browser in multi process or single process mode. 

Edited by AstroSkipper

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The INSTALLER set the browser as the default, no surprise there.  But if something else is then set as default, does the "button" inside the settings pages reclaim "default"?

I've no intention of installing it again to find out!
:D

5 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Each new opened tab consumes nearly 100 MB.

That's NOT what I see here.

Yes, a "new" tab consumes ~100 MB.

BUT an "old" tab releases RAM or a "background" tab releases RAM at the same exact time the new tab was created.

Just because ONE tab = 100 MB, that does NOT mean that EIGHT tabs = 800 MB.

All software "manages" RAM allocation differently, some will "release" RAM only when it sees "90% of RAM in use", some will "release" RAM every 20 seconds, et cetera.

During some research sessions, it's not uncommon to have THIRTY PLUS tabs open.  100 MB times 30 = 3 GB, my browser has never used 3 GB RAM.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

That's NOT what I see here.

Yes, a "new" tab consumes ~100 MB.

BUT an "old" tab releases RAM or a "background" tab releases RAM at the same exact time the new tab was created.

Just because ONE tab = 100 MB, that does NOT mean that EIGHT tabs = 800 MB.

All software "manages" RAM allocation differently, some will "release" RAM only when it sees "90% of RAM in use", some will "release" RAM every 20 seconds, et cetera.

During some research sessions, it's not uncommon to have THIRTY PLUS tabs open.  100 MB times 30 = 3 GB, my browser has never used 3 GB RAM.

Of course, I know that but opening tabs in Chrome browsers are consuming much more RAM than opening them in a browser supporting single process mode. Therefore it is problematic for my old system. But do not misinterpret my statements, I appreciate your work here and it is great to have a more recent Chrome alternative in Windows XP. And RAM uconsumption is a problem caused by developer and not by you. :D

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I can't really speak from experience on "default browser" - I don't "do" 'default browser'.  "To each their own."  :cool:

Can you check in the source code why the button doesn't work?
I looked at what needs to be changed in the reg and that is a lot.
This is very important for me because I have programs that have to access it.

Hi..

Do you guys feel lthere would any benifit to enable the following chrome flags?

Automatic tab discarding
If enabled, tabs get automatically discarded from memory when the system memory is low. Discarded tabs are still visible on the tab strip and get reloaded when clicked on. Info about discarded tabs can be found at chrome://discards. – Mac, Windows

#automatic-tab-discarding

Emit small allocations in memlog heap dumps.
By default, small allocations are pruned from the heap dump. This reduces the size of the compressed trace by 100x. If pruning is disabled, the chrome://tracing UI may be unable to take or load the trace. Save the trace directly using chrome://memory-internals, and use other mechanisms [e.g. diff_heap_profiler.py] to examine the trace. Note that automatically uploaded traces will always be pruned. This only affects manually taken memory-infra traces. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android

#memlog-keep-small-allocations

Thank you :)