360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

Well it's certainly good to know that the 13.x branch is still 'live'.
I had assumed that the developers had now moved completely on to the new 64 bit only version, and that 13.5 was it as far as XP compatibility was concerned.
FWIW I've only ever used version 13.5, and I've generally found it very stable.
Occasionally it freezes up, literally it just stops responding, with an error beep if I click anywhere on its window, and it has to be forcibly shut down.
On a retry it's always then OK.
Yes, it's a resource hog, but I can get away with that on my system. On a low resourced system it wouldn't be a great experience of course!
Personally I've been very happy with it, and it's given browsing on XP a whole new lease of life.
:yes:

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Some "developers" are just somewhat lazy to read about chrome flags . Not throwing stones at anyone , just stating the obvious . 

If this was directed at me - then my reply is that such commentary is "uncalled for" here at MSFN.  But zero offense also.  I am not a "developer", what I do with these browsers can be done by anybody - no "compiling" skills whatsoever.

I have done startup tests with these flags and they make no difference on my computers - other users have to perform their own tests on their computers.  "One size does not fit all."

I do suggest something quantitative, measureable, and repeatable - elliminate "placebo effect".  I'm sure there are others, but I use PassMark AppTimer to "time" software startup.

@NotHereToPlayGames

We have already contacted in another post.

You have different versions for download.

Which of these versions is most stable in WinXP 32bit and is very well suited for modern websites?

What is the "ungoogled" versions differently?

Which would you recommend?

If you have 2MB RAM or less, then I recommend v11.

If you have 8MB RAM or more, then I recommend v13.

But it also depends on "how" you use your computer.

I have 16 MB RAM but I use v11 because I want as much RAM as possible for CAD programs, for VirtualBox VMs, and for the hundreds of things I use my computer for OUTSIDE OF using it to browse the internet.

I have 4 GB RAM, with XP 32-bit only showing 3 GB.

It is important for me that new pages are displayed correctly and that the browser does not crash.
I do not play any games but occasionally look videos.

Which version would you recommend here?

What is the "ungoogled" versions Differently?

Edited by Anbima

I'm the same with RAM, 8GB installed, but only 3GB usable in XP because of the native limitation of a 32 bit operating system of course.
I do have good (although old) processors though.
I'm afraid I can't comment on the different versions of 360Chrome as I have only ever used 13.5, but it works fine for me.
As I said I have had freezes, but they are rare, and I've never had a problem with YouTube, where it performs extremely well, and that's with a very old ATI x600 graphics card.
:)

Regarding "ungoogled" -

360Chrome / Chromium / Microsoft Edge / Opera / Vivaldi / Brave / Blisk / Colibri / Epic / Iron are all "forks" of Google Chrome.

They all have "settings" for things like cookies and whatnot.

BUT they all treat a Google cookie DIFFERENT than a non-Google cookie, a form of "this is a Google browser, you cannot delete your Google cookie".

This is a privacy rights violation by most privacy-conscious end users and "Ungoogled Chromium" was created to prevent "preferential treatment" towards Google cookies.

If the end user wants to delete a Google cookie, they cannot in regular "forks".

But you can in my "ungoogled" version and in official "Ungoogled Chromium".

But you also have to install extensions differently for any "ungoogled" version.

2 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

When I do YouTube (which is RARE for me), I use v11 - are other users needing a more "modern" browser just for YouTube?

YouTube strikes me as rather conservative. Still works in Internet Explorer 11, last major update of that browser was in 2014. Of course, the interface is pretty sluggish with that browser.

Just now, Dave-H said:

As I said I have had freezes, but they are rare, and I've never had a problem with YouTube, where it performs extremely well, and that's with a very old ATI x600 graphics card.

GPU doesn't matter on Chrome on XP as GPU acceleration is not implemented via APIs XP supports. From V11 to V13, it gets progressively slower. Same goes for the upstream Chromium they're based on. Haven't tried 13.5 though. Chrome's software presentation of frames is very slow, the bigger the surface the videos covers, the slower it gets. So even at the same resolution selected in YouTube's interface, there's big difference in running it in a small window vs full screen, particularly if screen is high resolution.

MyPal 68 is much better at handling video, got smooth 720p @ 60 FPS playback without frame drops (VP9 codec) without GPU acceleration. So even if it works for someone well somehow on Chrome, more CPU time is spent presenting frames than would be needed if it was better optimized.

Of course, if you don't mind the little inconvenience and lack of all YouTube features in one place (the browser), throwing a YouTube link to dedicated media player should be the most efficient as far as efficient hardware resource utilization is concerned.

Edited by UCyborg

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I'm the same with RAM, 8GB installed, but only 3GB usable in XP because of the native limitation of a 32 bit operating system of course.
I do have good (although old) processors though.
I'm afraid I can't comment on the different versions of 360Chrome as I have only ever used 13.5, but it works fine for me.
:)

Pretty much the same ... I've only 2 reliable GB (one 2GB stick - one 500MB stick - one 500MB stick going bad) in my optiplex and only 2BG in my dimension (two 1GB sticks), so while I can use v13, watching videos is awful, so V11 is the reasonable solution.

EDIT: So long as I'm not doing something that requires stability, I will put the bad 500MB stick in and put up with the memory issues, but both 500MB sticks are ancient and I'm shocked they will remember anything at all, while the one 2GB stick is reliable. Lol, sorry for the off topic ... at least I didn't start talking about the weather. Brain Fog up ahead I can see :)

@NotHereToPlayGames

A few more question:
1. Is there a special version that you continue to update, or do you do everyone the same?

2. Is there a master passport for the stored passwords, with which I can see the stored passwords?

3. For some pages, a message is displayed due to the SSL encryption. This is in Chinese language (V13.5). Can you translate this?

4. Is it possible to install certificates so that this message is no longer displayed?

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

MyPal 68 is much better at handling video, got smooth 720p @ 60 FPS playback without frame drops (VP9 codec) without GPU acceleration. So even if it works for someone well somehow on Chrome, more CPU time is spent presenting frames than would be needed if it was better optimized.

I have very often BSOD with Mypal68 and many pages are not displayed correctly.
And I'm afraid that Feodor2 can't eliminate these problems.

@Anbima
roytam1's browsers might still be OK if GPU is up for it. And software fallbacks should still be faster, especially compared to EE V13. Just noticed 720p 60 FPS has a noticeable edge on my PC in MyPal 68 while they're only smooth in roytam1's browsers in a small window without GPU acceleration.

I don't know what to say about Mypal and BSODs, but a browser shouldn't be able to crash the entire OS. Hard to guess, especially without crash dumps, what's the reason. Could be driver issues, could be unpatched bugs in the OS...I only have XP x64 install here and didn't manage to get the browser to crash the OS.

Edited by UCyborg