360 Extreme Explorer Modified Version

18 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, ArcticFoxie's non-unGoogled version.
:)

I did it a little fast but it should work.

Installing this font will replace the default "MS Sans Serif" font so backup the original first in case something happens.

EDIT: I mixed the fonts, this is the correct one :) --> https://www.mediafire.com/file/dll3ypaduofmitv/seguiemj%232.ttf/file

Edited by Humming Owl

Got it thanks, so if I just install that, without changing the file name, it will replace the system 'MS Sans Serif' font?
That font is used in lots of places IIRC, so I will certainly make sure that the original is backed up so I can restore it if necessary!
I'll let you know how it goes.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

My 'FontFamily' registry value says 'MS Sans Serif'.

For what it is worth, mine says Tahoma (v11, v12, v13, and v13.5) - inline with my system settings Palette Title (the registry value changes to Arial if I change this system setting to Arial).  (edit - updated image)

image.png.01ec0ac95e26e4ac8ebd617834dafa8c.png

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Yes, that explains it, as my system theme font setting is 'MS Sans Serif'.
:yes:
Strangely, I can't find 'MS Sans Serif' specifically mentioned as an installed font.
There is 'MS Reference Sans Serif' (REFSAN.TTF), is that it?
:dubbio:

At any rate, if you're trying to get emojis in title bar and tabs of one of my "portable" versions, then I would suggest experimenting with the Palette Title system setting and pointing it to an emoji font as opposed to altering an existing XP font.

I don't "want" emojis so I'll leave the experimenting up to you guys, though I am still interested in the findings  :cool:

Maybe it depends on which fonts are already installed on the system. In my case the registry values are:

v9 - "Microsoft Sans Serif"

v11 - "Microsoft Sans Serif"

v12 - "宋体"

v13 - "宋体"

Or it depends on the version of the browser used. Maybe if others share their registry values for different versions of the browser a pattern can be found.

I do have the 'MICROSS.TTF' file after all, I just hadn't identified it as being that font.
It can't be replaced because it's protected.
I'll try substituting the file with @Humming Owl's modified version when I'm booted into Windows 98, renaming it with the original name, to see if that makes any difference. There is a copy in the System32 folder as well as the fonts folder, should I replace both of them or will 360Chrome only use the one in the fonts folder anyway?

15 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

Maybe it depends on which fonts are already installed on the system. In my case the registry values are:

v9 - "Microsoft Sans Serif"

v11 - "Microsoft Sans Serif"

v12 - "宋体"

v13 - "宋体"

Or it depends on the version of the browser used. Maybe if others share their registry values for different versions of the browser a pattern can be found.

If I change that registry value to anything else, it always reverts to 'MS Sans Serif' when I restart the browser.
I think it is just the system font, and I can't see any way in the browser settings to change the font used by the browser UI, only the size of it.

On 4/17/2022 at 8:09 AM, Dave-H said:

I do have the 'MICROSS.TTF' file after all, I just hadn't identified it as being that font.
It can't be replaced because it's protected.
I'll try substituting the file with @Humming Owl's modified version when I'm booted into Windows 98, renaming it with the original name, to see if that makes any difference. There is a copy in the System32 folder as well as the fonts folder, should I replace both of them or will 360Chrome only use the one in the fonts folder anyway?

I believe the browser will read the one on the "Fonts" folder. The second one might be as a system backup or something like it.

22 hours ago, Dave-H said:

If I change that registry value to anything else, it always reverts to 'MS Sans Serif' when I restart the browser.
I think it is just the system font, and I can't see any way in the browser settings to change the font used by the browser UI, only the size of it.

Does changing the "Palette Title" (from @NotHereToPlayGames's comment) to another font changes that Registry value? 

---

Also I want to test something, I edited a Twitter emoji font to fake the ID of the Segoe UI Emoji font. Can you install it to see what it is the result on the https://getemoji.com/ page?

Font (it is quite large in size) --> https://www.mediafire.com/file/69ra89kl1okle1p/TwitterColorEmoji_FakedSegoeUIEmoji.ttf/file

It is a color font but has black/white fallbacks so it should work for displaying all emojis on that page.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

Also I want to test something, I edited a Twitter emoji font to fake the ID of the Segoe UI Emoji font. Can you install it to see what it is the result on the https://getemoji.com/ page?

Works, has country flags (Segoe UI Emoji only has few proper flags), but much less readable than Segoe UI Emoji.

Edited by UCyborg

I can confirm that.
The flags now work, but all the emojis are faint and indistinct.
That is really noticeable on the Instagram comments, where they are much smaller, some now are barely readable.

I tried changing the system 'Palette Title' from MS Sans Serif to Tahoma, but the registry entry for 360Chrome did not change.
:no:

For my releases, that registry setting is here  --  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\360chrome\default\ui_persist_value

I do not know what happens when you ALSO run Humming Owl releases because then the two registries can interfere with each other.

And the registry entry only exists when 360Chrome is OPEN, it should self-delete when 360Chrome is not running.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Ah, I did wonder why it wasn't in the place stated, I didn't realise it was different on your version, but that makes sense now!
:yes:
I'm sure that 360Chrome was closed when I changed the system theme font setting, but I can try again (tomorrow now!)
That registry setting does not disappear for me when 360Chrome is closed.
Is it just the font family setting which should disappear, or others as well?